Author Topic: stainless steel wheel rims  (Read 7504 times)

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
stainless steel wheel rims
« on: 22.07. 2010 15:37 »
does anyone know how come the price of stainless steel wheel rims has come down so markedly all of a sudden ? there is an advert in classic bike guide from cwc in birmingham this month offering them for 80 pounds , and leigh classics have them on fleabay for 55 pounds each or 99 pounds the pair and specifically for the a series machines .

has anyone bought any of these ? whats the quality like ? if they were ok i'd be tempted to buy a pair . 

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
Re: stainless steel wheel rims
« Reply #1 on: 22.07. 2010 18:27 »
are they US/UK made or india(or some other cheap manufacturing place) ? i have friends who have purchased the non-US/UK rims and haven't been pleased with the quality.... stainless rims here in the states are still over $300 USD for the US?UK versions

mike

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #2 on: 22.07. 2010 20:05 »
Try the Devon Rim Company...I have seen there work on some custom bikes and they are truly outstanding, and British made to boot.

The rims CWC sell are I believe Radielli (spl) and while I cant comment on there stainless rims the chrome rim I had some years back had a definate "hump" where it was welded (as have the flanged Akront clones on my bobber)
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.07. 2010 21:21 »
Hi All,
I believe "Wassell" the major supplier of replica bits and sh1%e are now selling stainless rims
I saw some on fleabay, maybe somebody didnt like what he bought????

Devon rim co. rims are effin lovely *smile*
Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.07. 2010 21:29 »
A certain 100 new pence shop sells stainless stuff like bowls and other kitchen bits and bobs, I bought our dog a dringing bowl and I also got a mixing bowl to use for draining the bike oil into - the dogs bowl is still OK but the mixing bowl despite being filled with oil at times has gone rusty, so "stainless" does not mean what it used to perhaps.
Could be a bit of curry powder got in the mix *conf*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 22.07. 2010 22:28 »
both leigh and cwc say they are british made rims ,

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 22.07. 2010 22:38 »
Devon rim co. rims are effin lovely *smile*
Cheers
John O R

yes they are! (AND PRICEY TOO)

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 23.07. 2010 08:54 »
I paid a small fortune for Devon Rim Co. s/s rims.They are expensive, yes, but they are also the very best,Well Posh,  and I am well pleased with them.They will be turning long after I have fallen of my perch!!!. *eek*

I believe you get what you pay for and as they say, "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten".

As to "British Made"- the Devon Rims are all home grown. Money is made round to go round and I believe the support of any home company is a must wherever possible-look at what (industry) we have lost already..... Foreign rims may well be cheaper,but is there a hidden cost of more jobs lost in the long run?,and repeat replacement anyway-they may well stay bright in the hot  sunny climate of their origin but what about  durabilty in rain soaked, salty road Blighty-I have seen chrome almost jump off some cheaper rims almost as soon as exposed to our weather,and not all stainless is entirely rustproof, there are cheaper grades......
It would seem from what i have read that some other suppliers are a bit creative sometimes when using terms to describe their products, for instance a foreign made wheel rim could be imported as bare steel, chromed here in this country and described as a "British Chrome Rim" a play on words that is technically correct,but misleading to the customer.
"Caveat Emptor" as they say, Regards, Bob.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 23.07. 2010 09:40 »
I'm with you on this Bob, I try to buy best I can afford and home gown if at all possible, trouble is we all have an eye for a bargain that does sometimes over-ride better judgement.
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 24.07. 2010 11:34 »
I also got a mixing bowl to use for draining the bike oil into - the dogs bowl is still OK but the mixing bowl despite being filled with oil at times has gone rusty, so "stainless" does not mean what it used to perhaps

OK Bill put on a pointed hat , stand in the corner and repeat 300 times,
"stainless dose not mean rustless and rustless dose not mean stainless "

And yes the price drop is because of the large tonnages of cheap steels being imported from countries like China , India , Korea & Brazil.

In each case the material is the minimum permissible standard with the maximum permissible impurity content .
Unfortunatly the crap merchants will win out and the quality steel plants will go bankrupt and we have no one to blame but our own cheap skate selves because we can't help ourself and keep buying rubbish because it is cheap and parting with money seem to be a mortal sin for Pommie bike owners .

It is the only thing that I have to admire tractor owners with.
Harley riders can find parts that are expensive enough to put on their monstrosities , pommie bike riders will scour the planet to find a part 1¢ cheaper than the bloke on the corner which is why there are Harley shops on every second street corner and Pommie bike shops are dissapearing from the face of the earth.

Gets off soap box
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 24.07. 2010 11:48 »
tell us how you really feel there Trevor!

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 24.07. 2010 12:17 »
Unfortunately Trevor is on the money here.
I am also a member of a forum (nowhere near as good) for one of my other toys, it is of German descent and slightly expensive to maintain, but, if maintained properly is reliable. Many on that forum would rather save a couple of dollars and modify a part from another manufacturer than buy the original... End result, the manufacturer will stop making parts for the model due to falling sales! If you find a quality manufacturer support them and share them before they close their doors.
Cheap Indian and Chinese stainless is the bane of every biker and boaters life, don't buy it or they'll think it's what we really want.
Darren
'52 Plunger

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 24.07. 2010 15:04 »
yep no argument from me Trev

I have learnt a lesson or three from my latest project
All the best - Bill

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #13 on: 26.07. 2010 12:32 »
As a "Pommie" owner of a "Pommie" bike, I for one dont use cheap crap wa$$el type made in china / korea / australia / india sh1te. Its just no good and only harms real and genuine manufacturers. I would rather pay proper money for proper stuff.

When I restored my japanese Z1 I paid top dollar for English [Pommie] chrome rims and stainless spokes from Central Wheel Components, cost a fortune but 6 years later are still as good as new.

The problem is, there are people who want cheapy cheapy stuff, then complain when their £2 wheel bearings fall apart after 10 miles. People who buy this rubbish are making it more difficult to get good stuff.

£$%^*((&^%^

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 26.07. 2010 14:23 »
I agree Andy. I don't mind if other people buy the cheap stuff though as a lot of the raw material (iron ore, coal etc) comes from here and our mining sector kept us out of the world financial crisis. Glad you crossed us off your list, we make really good wagon wheels and horse shoes here.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7