Author Topic: Bike out of storage after 9 years  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
Bike out of storage after 9 years
« on: 19.08. 2010 09:51 »
Hello all,

I have not posted for sometime - My shooting star has been in storage in my friends garage for the last 9 years as I have been working overseas. Last weekend we dragged it out of the garage,it had been stored in a vac bag. I was expecting a pile of rust but to my amazement all was well,it came out in the same condition as it went in ! We couldn't resist trying to start it,so after puting some oil in I gave it a try. Despite the 9 year old petrol it actually fired up!! and even idled quite well. I now need to return with a van and get it home and give it a good service and get a MOT.

I read an article on magnetos that stated that mags go off if left standing for a long period, my one was reconned about 6 months before it went into storage and it seems to still have a nice fat blue spark,is this likley to fail due to the long storage period?
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Re: Bike out of storage after 9 years
« Reply #1 on: 19.08. 2010 10:25 »
I believe the problem arises with mags when they are damp and the shellac on the windings starts to go off. As yours has been stored in a vac bag hopefully it'll be OK.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #2 on: 19.08. 2010 10:26 »
Hi Duncan. The vac bag was a great idea and seems to have done the trick. It may be that the lack of ventilation has stopped the petrol evaporating and leaving residue to gum everything up. It may have also stopped damp getting in the mag and the lack of oxygen means no oxidisation on bike tinware. alloy and chrome.. Providing it went in the bag on a dry day you would not have locked any humidity in there.
The only problem you may have with the mag is the loss of magnetism in the permanent magnet which decays over time but I am no expert on mags and there are many topics on that subject on this site. If it works ok then I am a great believer in the old adage "if it 'aint broke - don't fix it."

Good luck with the MOT - you still have a month or two to enjoy riding her before the crap weather sets in.

PS. Don't forget that crash helmets degrade over time if you have not ridden since putting the bike in storage - may be time to invest in a new one.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19.08. 2010 10:48 »
Thanks for your replies - I suppose the best thing to do is just ride it and it see what happens (after a compleate check over and service) Jim - Thanks for the note on helmets, I have been riding modern stuff whilst away and have a fairly new helmet. I think a new set of tyres are also in order,they look ok but must pretty shot by now. Any recomendations for tyres? I was thinking a set of Avon SMs, the current ones are Indian copies of SMs and were rubbish when new! The bike is a re-import from India by the way,thats why I was surprised the chrome stayed intact. I am planning to do an engine rebuild over the winter and have accumalated a lot of parts over the last year or so, the engine runs quite nice but there is not much meat left on the crank journal due to the ammount of regrinds its had. It has a M20 single spring clutch on it which works ok but needs some attention,also the charging system needs sorting.
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #4 on: 19.08. 2010 11:06 »
If you're not planning to ride it like Barry Sheene Avon SM's are fine. [other tyres are available].

I think the mag will be fine, long term storage is no different than having a spare mag on the shelf for yonks, and a good one always seems to survive intact.

As far as the crank journal is concerned, they dont need a full 10 Thou regrind, usually just enough to clean it up. You can have a lead bronze bush made to suit whatever undersize you want. I have them made by mike email, mike_jan@dsl.pipex.com he does a good one for around £35. If the crank is too far worn you can get them of ebay for a reasonable price [small journal].

Good luck with it.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #5 on: 19.08. 2010 18:38 »
Hi Duncan,
Interesting to hear about the Vac Bag - my bikes sweat something awful in the garage if there is a sudden change of temperature so I might try one..

As for tyres - I'm going to stir it up a bit here but I really don't like Avon SMs..... *eek* 

I do like Avons however & have a variety of the AM series fitted to my bikes.. Not fitted yet but I have a pair of Roadriders ready to go on the A10.. Have fitted them to the Lav 750SF1 & they're very good on that... They have a modern profile not to everyone's taste but the handling is excellent & they seem to wear well too.
Cheers,
Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 19.08. 2010 19:04 »
Thanks A10boy for the crank info - I think I will run it till it starts rumbling, I only toodle around my local country lanes but I would like to take it on longer runs eventually.

brakenfel, the bag didn't hold it's vacum for 9 years(didn't expect it to) and my friend had built up quite a bit of junk around the bike during the nine years. I think you can leave them for a long time though, they also give you a huge bag of silica gel and a humidity gauge so you can keep an eye on it. I think I might go for the AM Avons as rideability is more important to me than looks (bike is far from concours anyway!)

Regards

Duncan

Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #7 on: 20.08. 2010 09:46 »
Duncan

Warning dont wait till it starts rumbling, if you have significant play in the bush you will be loosing oil pressure to the big ends. A little play is normal but if you cam move the crank by more than a few thou this will be a problem. You might find a con rod sticking out of the crankcases before you hear any rumbles !!!!!!!!

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #8 on: 20.08. 2010 11:33 »
That really surprises me and amuses me to hear that your A10 has an M20 single spring clutch! A year or so ago I was enquiring on the M20 forum if it was possible to fit a single spring clutch and seems now you have given me the answer. How doe's it hold? is there any slip? I'm not needing to fit my single spring now as I had eventually come by a four spring jobbie but it would have been an interesting experiment, it's a supposedly a very good clutch but then... the M20 is much more underpowered than an A10.

I'll go along with Adrian's feelings about the Avon SM. I came off my Star Twin because of a combination of tyre age, road surface and the squareness of the tyre itself. Did a bit of a write up about the 'off' http://www.ljswain.btinternet.co.uk/come-off.htm I do still have the Avon SM fitted to the rear of my Red A10 because it is a stronger tyre for carrying heavy loads i.e. all the camping gear & pillion etc, but on the Blue A10 I'm happily using Dunlop TT100's.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 20.08. 2010 13:08 »
Hi A10 Boy,

I won't let it go that far - it went before in India, I am not sure if the bush that replaced it is the correct material but it has done a couple of thousand miles and all seems well. That was the trouble in India, the knowledge and skill was there but the correct materials/parts were not always available. I managed to get hold of a nice crank off E-bay last year and also a set of rods. I plan to get a proper bottom end rebuild done to give me more confidence in the motor. It looks like it has thrown a rod at sometime in it's tough life - amazing bit of welding on the crankcase though!

Hi LJ - I never had any slip on it but it used to drag when hot but that was in the extreme heat in Dehli traffic, it seems to be ok in our milder climate. The action is quite heavy, I need to strip it down and have a look at the plates,I took it off once without the spring compressor not realiasing how much force is behind that spring! :o luckily I was not standing in front of it, I have now ordered a spring compressor. There were tons of M20s in India but not many twins, I assume thats why it was fitted due to the lack of availability of spares for originals - I will try and send you a photo when I strip it down. Thanks for tyre info - I think I will try the TT100s

Regards
Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 20.08. 2010 14:03 »

As for tyres - I'm going to stir it up a bit here but I really don't like Avon SMs..... *eek* 

I do like Avons however & have a variety of the AM series fitted to my bikes.. Not fitted yet but I have a pair of Roadriders ready to go on the A10.. Have fitted them to the Lav 750SF1 & they're very good on that... They have a modern profile not to everyone's taste but the handling is excellent & they seem to wear well too.
Cheers,
Adrian

i have the avon Am26 (roadriders) fitted to my A10 and my 61 triumph and find them much more confidence inspiring than  the ole sytle pattern tires. the only i have compliant about the AM26's, and a minor one is that they are low profile compared to the vintage style so there is more of a gap between fender and tire

adrian -  can you post a pic of your SF1? - i have a triple laverda and love the SF1's too

mike

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 20.08. 2010 14:36 »
Interesting Mike, just fitted AM26's to the cafe yesterday. Only did 30 miles today, but they feel sooo good. 100/90 19 front, 110/90 18 rear.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 20.08. 2010 15:55 »
Interesting Mike, just fitted AM26's to the cafe yesterday. Only did 30 miles today, but they feel sooo good. 100/90 19 front, 110/90 18 rear.
Cheers

Nice, you'll love 'em Muskrat  -  i have 19" on the A10 so its 90/90 front and 110/90 back - on triumph it has 18" and i went 100/90 front and 110/90 rear. So far the best tire i have found in 19", i find myself frequently rubbing the toes on th pavement in corners

-  have them on my commando too since the super venoms are no longer being made, they are equal to the SV's but not sure about better?!

m

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #13 on: 20.08. 2010 18:44 »
Hi Mike,
Pics as requested - which Triple do you own??
Am not sure where the photos will appear in this post (I really must read the "help" screens again!)

Apologies in advance for this not being an A10.... It does wear the AM26's being discussed though...
Have just finished another swearing session trying to get the A10 gearbox back together - hopefully I'll get all 4 gears this time ( having problems despite everything seemingly correctly fitted, selector plate in neutral, dots lined up etc...)

Cheers,

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 20.08. 2010 19:03 »
Got these AM26's on the Project - don't yet feel qualified to comment having covered a whole 2 miles  *lol*   but it did feel safe on all four turnarounds  *smil*

Adrian  - my gearbox needed to be one dot out (if that makes sense to you) to get all four gears, I think there's further reading about this in the Forum if you do a search
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco