Author Topic: RGS enquiry  (Read 1665 times)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
RGS enquiry
« on: 24.05. 2013 17:45 »
I have a few questions on my RGS that I would like some help/advise on.

1. I note that there is a large gap between the front anti roll rubbers and the sides of the petrol tank, see photo? Is this normal or should they press onto the inner sides of the tank? Do I have the correct anti roll rubbers?

2. Is this the correct vent pipe or should it be longer and go through about 270 deg so that the pipe faces forward, see photo?

3. Should the center stay of the front mudguard be on top of or behind the center mudguard bridge lug?

4. Where is the oil tank breather pipe routed to?

5. Does anybody have a photo of what the rear of the rear No plate should look like?

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Re: RGS enquiry
« Reply #1 on: 24.05. 2013 18:44 »
1. I note that there is a large gap between the front anti roll rubbers and the sides of the petrol tank, see photo? Is this normal or should they press onto the inner sides of the tank? Do I have the correct anti roll rubbers?

I have the same problem. I think I read in an earlier post that A65 rubbers can be trimmed down to fit. I put it down to having an Indian tank which appears to have a wider tunnel than standard. I had to make a longer strap under the front which connects the two sides to each other as it was missing when I got the bike and the standard strap I bought was about 1/2" too short.

At the moment I have some foam jammed underneath but it still rattles.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 24.05. 2013 19:09 »

I have the same problem. I think I read in an earlier post that A65 rubbers can be trimmed down to fit. I put it down to having an Indian tank which appears to have a wider tunnel than standard. I had to make a longer strap under the front which connects the two sides to each other as it was missing when I got the bike and the standard strap I bought was about 1/2" too short.

At the moment I have some foam jammed underneath but it still rattles.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Not sure if even the the A65 rubbers will take up the play, but worth a try?

Anybody know what the difference is between the A10 and A65 depth wise?

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 24.05. 2013 20:01 »

2. Is this the correct vent pipe or should it be longer and go through about 270 deg so that the pipe faces forward, see photo?

3. Should the center stay of the front mudguard be on top of or behind the center mudguard bridge lug?

5. Does anybody have a photo of what the rear of the rear No plate should look like?

1. That's not standard and is more than likely an Indian made tank. Somehow I feel you should fill the gaps to avoid stressing the centre fixing area.
2. The vent pipe looks like mine except I've added a clear plastic tube to it and run it out over the front of the tank to avoid overspills getting on the tank paint. I tend to fill it to the brim.
3. If you mean the lugs on the fork tubes, mine are on the outer face with the brake strap on the inside of the lug.
4. Sorry, no photo.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 24.05. 2013 21:44 »

1. That's not standard and is more than likely an Indian made tank. Somehow I feel you should fill the gaps to avoid stressing the centre fixing area.
2. The vent pipe looks like mine except I've added a clear plastic tube to it and run it out over the front of the tank to avoid overspills getting on the tank paint. I tend to fill it to the brim.
3. If you mean the lugs on the fork tubes, mine are on the outer face with the brake strap on the inside of the lug.
4. Sorry, no photo.

Thanks for the replies.

I do believe that it is an Indian tank, so that probably explains the gap. May try the A65 rubbers, but suspect that even they may not take up the gap?

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 25.05. 2013 09:21 »
Both my swinging arm bikes had foam rubber taped round the top frame tube to cushion the tank. I've seen so many Beezers done that way I thought it was a factory fitment!

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 25.05. 2013 20:23 »
Does anybody know if the A65 front and rear frame rubbers will fit?

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 25.05. 2013 20:43 »
They can be easily made to fit
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 25.05. 2013 21:04 »
They can be easily made to fit

Thanks

Offline magicflem

• A's Good Friend
  • Sydney NSW Australia
« Reply #9 on: 23.07. 2013 04:49 »
Sprint,

Are your anti roll rubbers in the top or bottom holes of the "bracket"?

Regards,

Kim
1930 BSA B30-3 Side Valve Girder (being restored)
1955 BSA A10 Road Rocket
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1956 BSA A10 Road Rocket
1951 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1956 BSA DB32 Gold Star Clubman
1958 BSA A10 Super Rocket
1961 BSA C15 (being restored)
1961 BSA C15 Star "America" (being restored)
1961 BSA A10 "Big Valve" Super Rocket (being restored)
1963 BSA A10 Rocket Gold Star

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 23.07. 2013 07:53 »
They look to be in the bottom holes Kim. That sounds rude.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7