Author Topic: Dynamo toothed belt not lasting  (Read 3417 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Dynamo toothed belt not lasting
« Reply #30 on: 20.02. 2015 01:58 »
dutch, Pies need to get them from Germany hence the wait (2 weeks). The Syncroflex Gen 111 are only made in Germany so whoever retails like SRM get them from there. It comes in a fat belt and is sliced off to order. The AT is the shape of the teeth and the 5 is 5mm, 420 is the length.
Cheers
Richards belt just arrived so Do Not Disturb for a few hours.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #31 on: 09.03. 2015 19:25 »
Update. Richards belt was installed and seemed OK on a couple of round the block rides. I added high temp bearing grease (all I had on the shelf), about 1/2 cup to the chamber. The new belts arrived last week so I had a spare to take on the weekends 550 mile ride. No worries, started 1st kick every time and didn't miss a beat. BUT, the fellow riders have re-christened the bike The Greaser. Yep I didn't replace the cork dynamo seal and as the grease melted it leaked out all over the side of the bike & tyre *eek*. Made right hand bends real interesting, following riders (I was leading the ride) were quite entertained.
She also lived up to her name Bl@@dy Sore idiot as all bar two of the NEW seat springs broke. Bl@@dy crap Indian parts.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #32 on: 09.03. 2015 21:53 »
She also lived up to her name Bl@@dy Sore idiot as all bar two of the NEW seat springs broke. Bl@@dy crap Indian parts.

Thanks for the encouraging words Musky. I just spent a whole Sunday trying to fit an Indian made saddle on the plunger. *work*
In the end I succeeded to make something decent out of it, so don't tell me it was all for nothing... *roll*
Cheers anyway, and glad you got that belt sorted *wink2*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #33 on: 10.03. 2015 10:48 »
Just looked into my timing cover and pleased to say belt still in good shape just needed adjustment and seems fine. The only problem is I can't remember where I got it from. thought SRM but it's black toothed and vee and SRM belts are red ,aren't they ? Might be from Hawker did buy some things from .Any ideas where I'd a replacement Cheers BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #34 on: 10.03. 2015 12:01 »
G'day Bob. You probably got your set up from Sean Hawker. V belts need to be taut and dry where flat toothed belts need a fair bit of slack and can handle oil/grease (but I don't like it)
cheers.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #35 on: 20.03. 2015 10:52 »
Now that Sean Hawker has gone out of business does anyone know of anyone who can supply replacement v belts? The existing belt I have has Contitech FO-Z 6/y 400 Li Z18042008 stamped on it, if that's any help.
thanks
John

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #36 on: 20.03. 2015 11:37 »
Ditto for me John, if I hear anything I'll Pm you could you do the same . Whilst able to say the belts fine at the mo ,just adjustment needed, I'd like to have a spare so any help, greatly appreciated,  regards,Bob
United Kingdom

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #37 on: 20.03. 2015 11:58 »
okeydokey

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #38 on: 20.03. 2015 13:30 »
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 21.03. 2015 17:45 »
you're a star, Muskie. Page bookmarked, an order will go in on Monday,
John

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 22.06. 2015 08:35 »
   whoops this turned into a saga

I could start anew, but here is most relevant.....yesterday, I had to fix what turned out to be a broken battery connection(red +ve earth wire *conf*), so took advantage of this to change the polarity, as I've intended for a while...(I'm dyslexic enough, don't need to compicate things; RED +ve BLACK --ve), went ok (flashed D+F to battery +ve, battery -ve to engine casing- 'click' from dynamo..!...yup), switched battery connections, fired up ok meter registered 'D+F' = >8 V+ve. seeweet...(for non-cuzzy-bros, that's 'positive response'). so went out for a jaunt, and light entertainment, on the way back an hour or two after dark; uhoh looks a bit dark out front *eek*
  Thought I must've blown a fuse or something, so fiddled about for a while to no avail 0 volts so decided to take a punt and do a runner, only a few K's from camp....made it over the bridge two to go, and a guy in a Fourby came alongside giving funny looks, so I 'waved him on' (FO)  and after I made it around the corner, into the back street, he decided to come say hello, and funny enough, the lights on his wagon matched my bike scheme....red and blue...so we exchanged names and stuff...forget what station he was from....wasn't a train or fire station, but not a hard push, lucky mostly flat...I improvised *smile* and made it home...

Back home battery volts grew by themselves seweet!, so today no work, had a look thinking how can changing polarity make things go dark- shouldn't suck light, should make it....hmmm, everything seemed ok, ~2Ω on th field coil, then 'D'+'F' with motor running =0Volts....but 'D'+'F' + grounded = good motoring....excellent motoring in fact... *eek*, but it wasn't in gear, shouldn't do that..?.. *bash* *bash*

*bright idea* Obviously there was an issue with the timing belt,*wink2*, so ripped off the cover and the belt was there intact, but extremely flaccid  *conf*....thought the genny must've slipped, but no, just had lost its guts(all that previous swarf) and sliding over one or both pulleys...lucky I'd picked up anothery, so whacked it in tightened by hand only and hey presto...pulley centres same as before ~130mm, but a bit less deflection ~3mm

New belt is Optibelt/polyurethane as opposed to the steel of the other one

Now I just need to deal with amp gauge reading >-+<

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #41 on: 22.06. 2015 09:28 »
I was in Cromwell Tools the other day and picked up a Dunlop power transmission catalogue.....250 pages of every size of toothed belt and pulley you can think of! I don't have a belt off a bike at the moment but if anyone has the size I can look up the part number.....

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 22.06. 2015 10:21 »

Rob
 The toothed belt I have is;  10mm wide AT5/420 thanks for the offer, but maybe not much good to us in Oz(?)

Musky, I re thunk this, but still think it doesn't matter that much...flex'd be the same on top as on the bottom...???
The deflection should be felt on the bottom run of the belt and would suggest a bit more than 5mm but not enough to hit the screw boss in the middle.

there's another local bearing place that also does belts (Pax?) might try them for a next spare I bought the last one from the usual (helpful) bearing shop I use, bu tit wasn't the brand they usually deal with, dunno why I didn't ask who they normally use....just had a bee in the bonnet that I needed what I ordered

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #43 on: 22.06. 2015 12:28 »
I'd given up on my dynamo ,was convinced it wasn't charging and decided it could stay that way until the winter lay up , been keeping the battery charged by a great little oxford drip charger anyway, couldn't connect the charger for a couple of days and pulled the bike out for ride on Thursday and during the warm up noticed the ammeter showing a steady charge  , so am I right in thinking the battery has been fully charged and that it didn't need any thing from the dynamo  *whistle* *bright idea* Dozy sod that I am !! Also got to add that the battery  ( lead acid ) is now nearly 10 yrs old this is a record for me ,how long have others had batterys last, regards Bob.
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 22.06. 2015 12:46 »

Well Bob, given that as I posted in other threads, I blew up maybe four in three months, ten years ain't so bad...current one (no pun intended), is a cheapie six Ahr jobbie, until I ensure things are working fine... maybe as per also other threads, we don't notice if they're charging or not if they don't need to be charging...if yea kenow what i mean...? like if you turn your lights on the amp meter goes -ve, and when you start it, and it goes toward +ve, it's charging..kinda maybe...but you surely don't need me to tell you that   *smile*

unless your amp meter is wired up backwards like mine may now be, but that doesn't take much to figure out (in hope-watch this space *eek*)

Australia