Author Topic: LED headlamp lamps  (Read 5583 times)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: LED headlamp lamps
« Reply #30 on: 04.12. 2015 12:16 »
I have a great tool on my computer called Zapgrab

Worth remembering Windows has it's own tool "snipping tool" which I use all the time
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #31 on: 05.12. 2015 21:32 »
Just make sure when orderingonline that they dip to the correct side for your country!
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 05.12. 2015 22:29 »

.... that they dip to the correct side for your country!

Is it the insert that determines that or as I thought, the reflector does that...? Or are LED ones different, warmsheds look a good choice

I neglected to note that the reflector I have is a Hella H4 (obvious by the photo, but I just realized has fallen over, I'll try that again), but it's a motorcycle specific' one, not sure how they differ from a car one though- must be something about the lens.
 I had one in the Guttzi, but got a stone hole and had to replace with a Narva but it's not as good a spread pattern as the Hella- not cheap though ~AU$100+, should be cheaper in UK/EU.

I have to ask, re; the Cree inserts, if the flappy stuff on the back is a heat sink, and if it needs to be thermally insulated...??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 05.12. 2015 22:35 »
Just had another quick look at the Cree inserts, and FREE POSTAGE is a plus, but it only specifies 9V-16V input, so no good for 6V *rant*

Description

NOT Built-in CANBUS
Socket Type: H1 / H3 / H4 / H7 / H11 / H13 / 9005(HB3) / 9006(HB4) / 9007
Power: 60W/Set (30W/each bulb)
Lumens: 3200LM/each bulb
LED Chip: CREE
LED Quantity: 2 pcs per bulb for H1,H3,H7,H11,9005 and 9006

4pcs per bulb for H4,H13 and 9007

Light color: White

Power Input: DC 9V-16V
Beam Angel: 360°
Lifespan: > 30,000 Hours
Waterproof Level: IP65
Available Color: 6000K
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline sparx

• Moving Up
« Reply #34 on: 05.12. 2015 22:37 »
The position of the light source in relation to the reflector, be it either filament or LED, alters the "dip" or "main" bit. The lens alters the "dip left" or "dip right" bit.
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 05.12. 2015 23:11 »

The position of the light source in relation to the reflector, be it either filament or LED, alters the "dip" or "main" bit. The lens alters the "dip left" or "dip right" bit.

yep, I figured that, but was wondering if the LED inserts in particular also somehow affected left or right ...
Is it the insert that determines that or as I thought, the reflector does that...? Or are LED ones different,

So on the basis of what say above, they should be universal fitment, and we should already have the correct reflector/lens for our country anyway....so how you you get on when you cross the channel...?

On a slightly different note, maybe some of these aftermarket items are not necessarily legal on our machines, or is that just an Oz (ADR) thing, not that I care- if it works better *smile*
Australia

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 06.12. 2015 00:17 »
Originally motor cycle headlights didn't dip to one side, just up and down.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 06.12. 2015 00:32 »

Originally motor cycle headlights didn't dip to one side, just up and down.

A bit like a Noddy-bike *smile*....

Trev, I just posted a Q about 6Volt relays here in case you miss it..

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=8663.0
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 06.12. 2015 09:24 »
My bike headlamp doesn't dip to one side and surely they shouldn't
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 06.12. 2015 09:54 »
 some of them do, although I'm not sure that it's maybe in the design of the headlamp glass
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #40 on: 06.12. 2015 10:34 »
some of them do, although I'm not sure that it's maybe in the design of the headlamp glass
Yes, it is the headlamp lens that determins wether the dip beam is biased to the left or to the right. Typically left or right dipping is a feature of H4 and other halogen lamp headlamp lenses. The BFP type dip up and down. This applies to both motorcycles and cars. For people that were visiting the continent the advice given was to stick a piece of tape on the lens, and I believe that this was also acceptable for conforming to UK MOT test standards if continental lenses were fitted to a vehicle being used in the UK. I don't know if it still applies but it used to be a requirement in France that yellow bulbs were fitted.

Offline sparx

• Moving Up
« Reply #41 on: 06.12. 2015 11:10 »
They don't have to dip left or right. The important thing is that they don't dazzle oncoming traffic.

I seem to recall having a car, possibly a Simca, that had a lever on the bulb holder that could be switched over to change the side of dip. If my memory is correct then maybe it would be more accurate to say that dipping left or right is governed by both the lens and the position of the light source in relation to the reflector.
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #42 on: 06.12. 2015 15:34 »
They don't have to dip left or right. The important thing is that they don't dazzle oncoming traffic.
In general what you say is correct. H4 lenses are designed so that on dip the beam is focused to throw a central pool of light with a strict height cut off in front of the vehicle, and to project a secondary higher and longer beam along the nearside edge of the road. The actual lamp does not play a major role in the direction of either main or dip beam. I worked as a lighting technician at Thorn lighting for many years, and I can tell you that there were no export lamps. All lamps for the home market and for export were identical. It is the lens that determins the over all focus parameters. Dazzle is the the product of poor lamp set up.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 06.12. 2015 20:16 »
The dip is not controlled by the lens but is solely in the construction of the bulb.
Motorcycle bulbs have the two filaments in line with each other, car types have the low beam filament offset.
The lens pattern of diffusion matches the type of bulb which should be used with it.
Have a look at the original Lucas BPF glass for motorcycles. The word "motorcycle" is embossed in it.
The car units, in this country, have "right hand drive" on them.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 07.12. 2015 20:33 »
Further to the dip, I had a look at the Lucas book. It seems that until 1956 home models had a vertical dip but thereafter a left hand dip, the difference being the bulb.
Export models could be anything, left hand, right hand or vertical.
Interestingly, the RGS was listed as vertical dip only.