Author Topic: Retro fitted indicators = dangerous!  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Retro fitted indicators = dangerous!
« Reply #15 on: 30.08. 2017 10:58 »
Why are retro fitted indicators more dangerous than ones fitted from new? *fight*
Peter
Because we are all about motorcycles that didn't have winkers fitted from new.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #16 on: 30.08. 2017 11:32 »
But that doesn't make them any more danger's! *conf*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 30.08. 2017 16:05 »
I have an  A7 without indicators and an A65 which when I converted to 12 volts I fitted indicators the flasher unit emits quite a loud noise which seems to be timed with the indicator bulb I also have a small flashing light fitted to the top of the headlight and I have never failed to cancel because of the noise emitted by the flasher unit. I have to say that I feel much safer with the A65 than the A7  without indicators.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 30.08. 2017 18:00 »
I have to say that I feel much safer with the A65 than the A7  without indicators.

Feeling safer is dangerous.

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 30.08. 2017 21:55 »
I installed this solid state self cancelling module and indicators on the 47 Vincent. Works great. It is also the flash unit.

I used the full pentastar xp unit on the new build 1360 Vincent. One module controls brake light function, turn indicators and running lights all in a tiny biscuit about half the size of a small chocolate bar .

Glen

http://www.signaldynamics.com/self-canceling-turn-signal-module/

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 01.09. 2017 02:39 »
I'm for indicators if you ride your bike on the road. the positives more than cancel out the negatives
These days motorists use indicators and most have no idea of hand signals. If you want to ride safely in modern traffic you must let people know what you are about. Modern cars out accelerate and outbrake old bikes about 4 to 1.
My only machine going at present is a 62 cotton vulcan with a greeves motor.
If my hand is taken off the throttle going into a corner the thing chain snatches and kangaroos whatever gear you're in.
It's not pretty.
Also the front brake is not available if you are waving your arm in the air.
Fitting indicators removed all that excitement.
I fitted a warning light in the headlight shell and extended the lever about 25mm so its easy to use. After a week or so you learn to cancel.
The same setup will be fitted to the a7 if it ever gets finished.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 01.09. 2017 09:44 »
My riding style is much more careful than it used to be so turning is not done rapidly. I have slight friction set on the twist-grip so it closes slowly allowing me to take my right hand off the grip.
By the way, in the UK car drivers seem to be increasingly failing to use their indicators.

The reason I re-posted this topic is because I was taking part in a classic bike ride and saw several occasions when riders forgot to cancel their signals. I was praying some twat wouldn't pull out in front of them!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #22 on: 01.09. 2017 10:24 »
By the way, in the UK car drivers seem to be increasingly failing to use their indicators.
The problem is that new drivers are not taught how to drive, they are taught how to pass their driving test which is a different thing entirely. These days people do not slow down and prepare to stop if neccersary at round abouts or junctions. Something my driving instructor drummed into me all those years ago when I learned to drive. Mind you it does not help that on many modern cars the indicators are set so far back at the front that in daylight you cannot see them even if they are being used. I treat all junctions with a great deal of caution, and I won't even mention the ar**soles that can see you coming and still pull out as you approach. It makes no difference if you are on a bike or driving your car, or maybe its just me (paranoid?) but it happens all the time. I think that it makes no difference if indicators are fitted or not these days most drivers do not take any notice of signals of any description.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 01.09. 2017 10:52 »
I think that it makes no difference if indicators are fitted or not these days most drivers do not take any notice of signals of any description.
So, exercise extreme caution!  *sad2*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 01.09. 2017 10:57 »
The problem is that new drivers are not taught how to drive, they are taught how to pass their driving test which is a different thing entirely.

Yep, I get ear bashed for using indicators too much, but I remember my driving instructor ( used to be  an Army driving instructor ) advising me that indicators are DIRECTION indicators not right of way indicators and should be used to inform other drivers of your intentions, and that's what I still do
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 01.09. 2017 11:31 »
...I get ear bashed for using indicators too much, but I remember my driving instructor ( used to be  an Army driving instructor ) advising me that indicators are DIRECTION indicators not right of way indicators and should be used to inform other drivers of your intentions, and that's what I still do

Same here; it's just habit. I passed my driving test fifty years ago.

Who is ear-bashing you; Her indoors? My wife learnt to drive in more recent history than me and she was taught to not signal unless there was following traffic. "What about pedestrians?" I say, and "What about that bloke that you cannot see, that's just about to come out of his driveway?" I say.

Trouble is, if you tell road users that sometimes they need not signal they will think it's ok to never signal, (sort of a 'Give em an an inch, and they'll take a mile' thing)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #26 on: 01.09. 2017 13:47 »
The only thing you can deduce if you see an indicator flashing is that the bulb works. Any other conclusion is dangerous - potentially deadly.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Steve.Carter

• Moving Up
« Reply #27 on: 01.09. 2017 17:09 »
...I get ear bashed for using indicators too much, but I remember my driving instructor ( used to be  an Army driving instructor ) advising me that indicators are DIRECTION indicators not right of way indicators and should be used to inform other drivers of your intentions, and that's what I still do

Same here; it's just habit. I passed my driving test fifty years ago.

Who is ear-bashing you; Her indoors? My wife learnt to drive in more recent history than me and she was taught to not signal unless there was following traffic. "What about pedestrians?" I say, and "What about that bloke that you cannot see, that's just about to come out of his driveway?" I say.

Trouble is, if you tell road users that sometimes they need not signal they will think it's ok to never signal, (sort of a 'Give em an an inch, and they'll take a mile' thing)

A good driving instructor will teach the times when using indicators can be counter productive. Like waiting to pull out a Layby when only a couple of cars are approaching, much better to wait till they've passed by rather then watch the first one slow with the other one getting impatient and overtaking the first one!  learning by rote in these situations can be dangerous.

Steve

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 01.09. 2017 18:13 »
A good driving instructor will teach the times when using indicators can be counter productive. Like waiting to pull out a Layby when only a couple of cars are approaching, much better to wait till they've passed by rather then watch the first one slow with the other one getting impatient and overtaking the first one!  learning by rote in these situations can be dangerous.
Yes, I agree with that.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 01.09. 2017 18:17 »
I was always taught, check mirrors and indicate your intention (hand signals) before changing direction.
That was in the days of the semaphore indicators, winkers hadn't been invented.

Roy.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK