Author Topic: Retro fitted indicators = dangerous!  (Read 4245 times)

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
Re: Retro fitted indicators = dangerous!
« Reply #30 on: 03.09. 2017 23:52 »
I have never had a bike with indicators and my approach is to trust nobody whether they are indicating or not. Get some eyes in the back of your head and both sides that will give you about a 20% chance of avoiding the modern day driver.

Incidentally I do know that if its a BMW, Audi or Mercedes they do have right of way no matter what and everybody else must instantly get out of their way no matter what  *smile*

Me cynical? Never

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #31 on: 04.09. 2017 09:01 »

Incidentally I do know that if its a BMW, Audi or Mercedes they do have right of way no matter what and everybody else must instantly get out of their way no matter what  *smile*

Me cynical? Never
[/quote]
Its Volvo over here *fight*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online tinu

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #32 on: 10.09. 2017 14:52 »
Just saw this in our local bicycle shop.. it stops at a certain time by itself ( I think 45 sec)
https://www.cycl.co.uk
cheers tinu
A10 Golden Flash '57
VW T3 '84 "Bulli"

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 11.09. 2017 15:42 »
I do recollect Yamahas of the late 70s being fitted with a cancellation device, ass noted somewhere above. Not sure why it didn't catch on, nor how it might have worked? You might presume a combination of distance and duration, but that sounds a bit sophisticated for the time.

And you do see cars with them left on some times. And you have to wonder how they miss that, sitting in there with not a lot else to do or look at. On bikes, group rides do seem to bring about more forgetfulness. To be honest I hate the self cancelling in cars and would sooner have to do it manually.

When I was ringing Carol Nash to advise of modifications to my Bantam 'Piecrust Racer' the one thing the lad on the other end of the 'phone couldn't get over was that it had no indicators (the bike now has no lights at all). Weird.

My Sportster has a button on each grip to operate the indicator on that side. They're a rocker type. If you one on and then operate the other side then they are both now off. Then when you switch one side (off) the other side comes on. Really weird.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 11.09. 2017 18:15 »

If I didn't already say it, I only had one bike with innidactors, and constantly forgot to cancel....just a few days ago, I pulled up beside a guy and asked 'are you going right ?', and he said yes I'm going well.... *conf* realized he had an accent and told him his inicktaker is on...mind you it's the kinda crap answer I'd give too...on a good day *smile*

Like has been said;
The only thing you can deduce if you see an indicator flashing is that the bulb works. Any other conclusion is dangerous - potentially deadly.

Totally agree- on more than one occasion, I've come up behind trailers of various kinds in the wrong lane for what I think they're doing, and doesn't take long to see that the lights are all F*****d up with mainly the indicarckers wired opposite *problem* *bash*

when I was a kid we had a farm truck (late 40's Chevrolet I reckon), that had on the drivers door, a 4' lever with a 'hand' on the end that the driver could swing up to turn, and the hand also pivoted up to indicate stopping...probably more effective than modern stuff.
 (My Ma had to take us to the bus in that one day when the car didn't start, and the brakes weren't working- which she didn't realise until half way down the last half mile straight with the bus at the gate... *eek*...took a while to live that down  *pull hair out*
 The lever on the door was no good that day*smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 11.09. 2017 23:43 »
Indicators are as imperfect as the operator, but they do increase safety in general.
Imagine multiple lanes of freeway traffic going warp speed by or thru some big city, exits and on ramps everywhere, all hand signals with cars and trucks flying across lanes as they must do in such places. It would be deadly.
I try hard to avoid busy places, but every now and then you find yourself in it for a bit.

At times like that the indicators have helped me greatly, especially when in the UK where drivers pay some attention to motorcycles and indicators. Not so great here at home, but the indicators still help. When I ride the BSA ( no indicators) scary things that shouldn't happen are standard, every ride.
Glen

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #36 on: 12.09. 2017 00:14 »
hi guys, indicators or not defensive driving is always needed especially on two wheels, cheers 
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #37 on: 12.09. 2017 02:47 »
I like my indicators but I must admit you need an effective reminder that they are on, I was thinking that i might hook a ing coil to the seat so as to turn on after say 30 sec *bash* you wouldn't leave it on the second time *eek*
On a more serious note I was wondering if it would be possible to have hooked into the helmet earphone so as when flashers are on (helmets with earphones are becoming more common place) it would beep, it would have to come automatically (Bluetooth or some thing like that) other wise you would forget to turn it on, food for thought.
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #38 on: 12.09. 2017 07:36 »
I find this whole topic baffling, and read thru it in disbelief.  Are you guys for real??? 

If you guys are having difficulty operating a motor vehicle safely then perhaps its time to hang up the helmet and keys.  I also find it amusing/disturbing on a forum for bikes last built in 63 and earlier that some or most of you dont have OTHER motorcycles, including modern mounts.

I do readily acknowledge and most MC safety experts recommend that when switching mounts to exercise caution and perhaps familiarize yourself in a parking lot or sparsely populated area before  entering higher traffic areas.  Cornering, stopping, and riding techniques all need adjustment switching from bike to bike as well as practice. Its also important to refresh your skills when you dont ride every day.
  Its a common problem in my part of the world where many of the vintage MC clubs have rides and you have riders who are rusty in skills, or riding a vintage bike when the day before they were on a modern one, or,,,, bikes that sit for long periods with infrequent service all add up to crashes.

To address issues more at home for me, in the western US States it is illegal to operate a vehicle without turn signals after dark. Period.

Do people do so? Sure.. But each time you do a police officer can cite you.
To be fair: "A gentleman does not motor about after dark" Joseph Lucas

The reality of modern traffic is they are all distracted and self absorbed. Assume ALL other vehicles on the road are out to kill you and proceed accordingly.  (Cell phones are the #1 culprit. But I had a friend ran over on his MC by a guy fiddling with his car stereo and was distracted.

Modern signals with a vintage appearance and easy to fit, and no excuse not to unless your bike is a museum display or Trailer queen-Trophy whore.  Modern LEDs can be fitted and almost no drain at all from your feeble charging system,  Its also easy to mount a small discreet indicator panel within eyesight,  My Ducati's Buells and post 1994 HD sportys all have self cancelling signals and most any Asian bike does.  Easy enough to copy or adapt them.  (Probably you need to make some adjustments to your polarity).

I also fit a battery powered flasher unit from Bicycles to the back of my helmet and set it to a pulsing light. Technically its borderline illegal (I researched it) but I have a compelling argument.  I also fit reflective safety tape to a few spots on my helmet and when in city traffic I often wear a reflective safety vest over my leathers.  (Neon Yellow/Orange)

You can also dramatically increase your lighting by well proven mods and LEDs are the future.

Picture any urban landscape with multiple lanes of traffic, flashing neon signs, roadway signage and reflectors, Wide range of shapes and colors with buildings, cars, bill boards etc.  You dressed in dark clothing with a tiny filament 6 v tail light gets lost in that sea of colors and flashes of light.  Small wonder that rear end collisions are so common these days and the toughest to defend against.

I personally have been rear ended by a speeding drunk driver texting.  Me= 45-50 mph on a motorcycle.  Her= 75-80 mph in a Audi S4 and never hit the brakes or attempted evasion.
I cratered her windshield so hard the rear window of her car dislodged.  I can personally attest that it is highly unpleasant to be a hood ornament.
Dont you folks have more pressing issues to sort out? 

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 12.09. 2017 08:32 »
'Blue' my T3 was fitted with an audible warning for the indicators when I first bought it. Way too irritating - it was one of the first things I removed.

On the other hand I have left my arms out on the A10 from time to time.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #40 on: 12.09. 2017 20:26 »
My Goldwing indicators automatically cancel because it has a lean angle sensor fitted. After you complete your turn the sensor knows the bike is coming back up to the vertical and automatically cancels the indicators. Wouldn't like to try fitting it to the A10 though.

ELLIS

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #41 on: 13.09. 2017 09:45 »
And Yamaha RD /SR / XJ series have a timed & voltage controlled flasher.
They self cancel if you rev the engine & the voltage increases or after around 2 minutes , but the switch is metric and loos right out of place on an A 10.

As for other bikes , WHAT THE #*!&*!!! for when I have perfectly good BSA's to ride.
Rode them as daily transport back in the 60's 70's & 80's and there is no reason not to ride them daily in the 10's & 20's.
making hand signals tends to wake up the brain dead or at least confuse them and people notice old bikes.
Apart from that with the exception of the fuel injected bikes all my BSA's get much better economy and are much cheaper to run that anything made in the past 20 years.
I was putting around 8,000 miles a year on the M20 & 6,000 on the B40 and 1000 to 2000 on the A65 every year till I moved to Silverdale.
The A 65 was back up for my SR 500 that I worked on and when we retired it I rode the A65 daily , in the city doing deliveries and running my fleet of couriers.
Only problems I ever had was being pulled over for a faulty stop light because I engine brake and rarely touch the foot brake unless I was at a complete stand still or to stand the bike up out of a corner.
Rider safety is all about knowing YOUR position on the road and who is round you and what they are doing.

Regularly hear totally incompetiant riders telling me they NEED 120 + Hp to get them out of trouble and all I can say is they must be BRAIN DEAD to allow themselves to be in the situation when 13 Hp can not do the same. Hp is no substitute for Bp
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #42 on: 13.09. 2017 11:51 »
I agree with BSA54a10, hand signals given in a direct manner do catch the car driving idiots attention ,I try not to ride at night these days so that isn't a problem . Roadcraft the old police driving bible states that you should be able to tell the intentions of the rider/driver by his position on the road , thats out the window with car drivers but should stand for bikers .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 13.09. 2017 13:19 »
And Yamaha RD /SR / XJ series have a timed & voltage controlled flasher.
They self cancel if you rev the engine & the voltage increases or after around 2 minutes , but the switch is metric and loos right out of place on an A 10.

As for other bikes , WHAT THE #*!&*!!! for when I have perfectly good BSA's to ride.
Rode them as daily transport back in the 60's 70's & 80's and there is no reason not to ride them daily in the 10's & 20's.
making hand signals tends to wake up the brain dead or at least confuse them and people notice old bikes.
Apart from that with the exception of the fuel injected bikes all my BSA's get much better economy and are much cheaper to run that anything made in the past 20 years.
I was putting around 8,000 miles a year on the M20 & 6,000 on the B40 and 1000 to 2000 on the A65 every year till I moved to Silverdale.
The A 65 was back up for my SR 500 that I worked on and when we retired it I rode the A65 daily , in the city doing deliveries and running my fleet of couriers.
Only problems I ever had was being pulled over for a faulty stop light because I engine brake and rarely touch the foot brake unless I was at a complete stand still or to stand the bike up out of a corner.
Rider safety is all about knowing YOUR position on the road and who is round you and what they are doing.

Regularly hear totally incompetiant riders telling me they NEED 120 + Hp to get them out of trouble and all I can say is they must be BRAIN DEAD to allow themselves to be in the situation when 13 Hp can not do the same. Hp is no substitute for Bp

Nah disagree. Most folks in cars are just in too much of a hurry to get round anything that they see as old and perceive as slow. Faster bikes are safer.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #44 on: 13.09. 2017 15:23 »
Bikes with with horsepower and hence potential high speed may indeed be safer in that they should have better brakes. Having said that, up here in the frozen North in the riding season the news on a pretty much a daily basis is of older bikers on sports bikes being killed on the roads.
I can't see any justification for high-powered sports bikes on UK roads with a 70mph speed limit. Ain't I boring? Or any German-manufactured car with an engine size above 1.6 litres. Especially if it's black. Or any hatchback. Especially with dark glass and lowered suspension.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep