Author Topic: Colour scheme question  (Read 3062 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Colour scheme question
« Reply #15 on: 06.09. 2018 21:02 »
Indeed, the description of 'gold' is probably misleading. I seem to recall the original designation was polychromatic beige. Whatever, I find the colour unappealing when applied to the whole bike, which is why when I restored my '58 GF (originally black) I opted for black frame, oil tank and toolbox, but 'gold' for the tank and guards. I feel it's just right, but then again that's only my opinion.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Norbert 60

• Moving Up
« Reply #16 on: 13.08. 2019 07:14 »
I'd like to re-open this thread as I do have a question for the colour sceme as well.

Restauration of my A10 '59 just started and I do consider to have it sprayed "gold".
In the catalogue pics  it looks as all painted parts are "gold", similar to the bike of orabanda,- which seems to be mint!
Some other pics shows black frame, nacelle, forks and oil tank - toolbox, only tank and mudgards are gold.

Can someone tell me what would be the correct sceme?

btw: at this moment I do prefere black frame and nacelle with gold tinware

Cheers

Norbert
Regards Norbert

'58 A10 Golden Flash S/A
Germany

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #17 on: 13.08. 2019 07:59 »
Its impossible to reproduce the original "gold" colour as it varied.

Its your bike and unless you are aiming for 100% originality tell the purists to f*** off and paint it how you want.

Offline Norbert 60

• Moving Up
« Reply #18 on: 13.08. 2019 08:18 »
Hi Brian,

many thanks fro quick response *clap* , but it does not answer my question of how is the original colour sceme.
I from this thread that actual gold colour had quite some variation and it's clear that I will paint it as I like, nevertheless I am interested in the original sceme.

Cheers

Norbert
Regards Norbert

'58 A10 Golden Flash S/A
Germany

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #19 on: 13.08. 2019 08:31 »
Hello Norbert,
                      I bought my first A10 48 years ago. Since then I have seen dozens of A10's that have been painted in the "original" colour, all of them the paint was copied from inside the toolbox or under the seat etc etc so the owners could be certain that their bike was the correct colour. But out of all those bikes I have never seen two the same. I dont know if BSA used different brands of paint or if it was mixed by different people on different shifts or whatever but the "original" colour varied. To try and answer your question about what parts were painted what colour I would look at Orabandas bikes. I hate to admit a sandgroper knows what he's doing but his bikes are of the very highest standard so I am sure he has it right.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 13.08. 2019 09:02 »
Norbert, published data for your model year suggests black frame, forks, chainguard and hubs. Colour is restricted to tanks, toolbox, mudguards and stays, air filter box where fitted.

Colour is a whole subject in itself, with numerous threads on the Forum. In the end choose a modern colour to your estimate of original by comparison with other bikes or an original sample as suggested by Brian.

Swarfy.

Offline Norbert 60

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 13.08. 2019 09:16 »
Hi Brian,

many thanks for quick answer. *thanks*

At the first start of my A 10 restauration, some decades ago, I wanted to convert it into a cafe racer, so I bought all the bits and pieces to tune the engine.
But now at the 2nd attempt, older and (hopefully) wiser I wanto to go for most original condition.
The engine will be tuned slightly with focus on refinement and reliability.
As almost all A10 I do see are black, I want to go different. The gold appeals to me, but not in the volume of the original (as Orabandas bike).
For me that's over the top.

I will sit down in the Garage with a glas of red and have a deep think,...!  *conf2*

Regards Norbert

'58 A10 Golden Flash S/A
Germany

Offline Norbert 60

• Moving Up
« Reply #22 on: 13.08. 2019 09:19 »
Hello Swarfy,

many thanks

this sceme is more towards my taste!  *beer*

Many thanks

GREAT FORUM !!!!

Norbert, published data for your model year suggests black frame, forks, chainguard and hubs. Colour is restricted to tanks, toolbox, mudguards and stays, air filter box where fitted.

Colour is a whole subject in itself, with numerous threads on the Forum. In the end choose a modern colour to your estimate of original by comparison with other bikes or an original sample as suggested by Brian.

Swarfy.
Regards Norbert

'58 A10 Golden Flash S/A
Germany

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #23 on: 13.08. 2019 09:50 »
According to the cover of the German cattledog it looked like this

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 13.08. 2019 09:51 »
I'd like to re-open this thread as I do have a question for the colour sceme as well.

Restauration of my A10 '59 just started and I do consider to have it sprayed "gold".
In the catalogue pics  it looks as all painted parts are "gold", similar to the bike of orabanda,- which seems to be mint!
Some other pics shows black frame, nacelle, forks and oil tank - toolbox, only tank and mudgards are gold.

Can someone tell me what would be the correct sceme?

btw: at this moment I do prefere black frame and nacelle with gold tinware

Cheers

Norbert

Enter your details here  -  http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php#makeid=24&modelid=696&prodyear=1959
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #25 on: 13.08. 2019 09:55 »
However according to the inside information it looked like this
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Norbert 60

• Moving Up
« Reply #26 on: 13.08. 2019 10:06 »
Hi Guys,

So many information within an hour!

MANY THANKS to all of you!! *thanks* *yeah*
Regards Norbert

'58 A10 Golden Flash S/A
Germany

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #27 on: 13.08. 2019 10:08 »
What all the armchair experts tend to forget there were many different versions of bikes each year for different markets.
So we could have had the following
1) Home market version
2) General Export version
3) Home & General Export version
4) North American version ( Included Canada)
5) Canadian Version
6) USA East Coast Version
7) USA West Coast version
8) Asia Pacific Version ( Basically Aust , NZ, Malasia
9) European General Export version ( has Kph speedo & largest tank )
10) USA general version ( forgot that one )

There is no rhyme nor reason for this apart from perhaps distributors demmanding slight differences .
Even worse oft the only offical proof of a version is a dealers service sheet that of course was only sent to the affected dealers. This was particularly prevelant with competition models and Gold Stars in particular.
Even worse they could vary during a single season so for instance we could get the Asia Pacific version in the first shipment, General Export in the second shipment because the Pacific version got dropped and if it was a a good season down here might end up with Home & General Export version if there was a third shipment.

You will note that the cover bike has a black frame and black seat while the inside bike has a gold frame with a tan & cream seat
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 13.08. 2019 10:15 »
Agree with Norbert - too much gold is the medallion-man. Gold frames are just too much, it just doesn't look right. I prefer the gold (beige) to be the bling, not the whole, so I opted for all black except fuel tank and mudguards. Think it looks more 'distinguished'. To each his own I guess.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #29 on: 13.08. 2019 10:46 »
There is a clot on ebay Germany who is selling good quality reproductions of most BSA catalogues ( prosperts to some ).
His printing was very good but the descriptions were a bit suspect.
He was selling a lot of different year ( supposedly ) catalogues so you might be able to pick up a 57,58 & 59 then pick what you like the best.
Photocopy it and keep the copy with you so when you get told it was wrong, produce the catalogue page , usually shuts them up.
If they persist then you tell them in a very loud voice that they are remembering illegally smuggles in British versions and suggest some criminal past.

BSA did a lot of funny things so for instance if there was a shortage of golden beige frames, they were not above making an entire order with black frames and calling it a different variation.
ou also should be aware that the "golden Beige" idea was a post production brain fart of the marketing department to capitalize on being awarded gold medals.
SO the original production run were black over painted with a single coat of gold which gave them a greenish tinge from the black showing through.
The they went to 2 coats of gold , still over black so it was more yellowish and less deep looking but of course much less likely to scratch & show black through the gold.
After that they used a green undercoat which made the top colour look different again and the latter ones were over a creamish undercoat which made the last of them look a little pastel gold. 
Bike Beesa
Trevor