Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130433 times)

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2325 on: 26.07. 2022 19:58 »
SHE LIVES, SHE LIVES. *woo* *woo* *woo*  Ordered ATD on Sat evening and asked seller to get it to me asap.  He obliged and I got it this afternoon, fitted within an hour!!!  *work* *work* *work* Sump and gauze back on, timing cover back on - then back off because gasket got a little kinked, tank back on, quick clean around and, third kick, fired up. *woo* *woo* *woo*  Sounds very sweet and revs out cleanly.  Turned off and went to have me tea.  Went back 30 mins later and 1st kick back into tickover - very nice indeed. *thanks* *thanks* *good3* *good3*

The ATD I got from evilbay was from Pete in Cardiff - very nice man who sent it First Class registered instead of Second Class snail mail. *respect* *respect* *respect*  ATD was in very good nick - virtually no wear on pins, nice return action, teeth were undamaged, bolted straight on.  Price was £55 inc postage. *good3* *good3*

By the way, how tight should the ATD bolt be - or is it just very firmly nipped up??
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2326 on: 26.07. 2022 20:29 »
Maintenance day for me too.
Whilst GF is on bench (clutch rod etc) last week I replaced the n/s fork seal and fitted cork clutch plates - in an attempt to mitigate clutch slip. Today was the turn of the rear innertube (new when I rebuilt the bike c. 3 yrs ago). Every time I went to ride the bike, the rear tyre would be flat, so opted for another new tube (is anything any good these days - I always use good quality tubes, usually Michelin). Wheel was already out - thanks to BSA's 'wonderful' design getting it out is a bundle of fun, so I got my son to help me when he was here last week. Whilst bike is on the lift, it comes out by moving bike to rear of lift - all the while hoping the bike doesn't fall off ....
So, this afternoon was tyre levers out, pull one side of tyre, swap tube and re-inflate. But bead would not set on rim. Had that trouble 3 yrs ago, so persevered. Deflate, loads of Fairy liquid, re-inflate, deflate, kneel on tyre opposite recalcitrant area and re=inflate. Rinse and repeat several times before admitting defeat. Remove tyre and fit a spare from the bike shed. Same issues but eventually got the bead to set. Cleaned up the mess (Fairy liquid everywhere with bubbles coming from spoke holes) but what's this? Tyre size 3.25 x 19? Where did that come from? My bikes for decades have been 3.50 K70 rear and 3.25 Speedmaster front (although recently the vee twins have had 4.10 universal rears). So, tyre off again and back to Plan A. Took me over half an hour of rinse/repeat again before I finally seated the bead - and only achieved that by taking the pressure above 50psi - something I'm reluctant to do on a used tyre which originally has a max pressure of 32psi.
Must be the stainless rim is fractionally oversize, but got there in the end.  *woo*
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2327 on: 26.07. 2022 21:44 »

I, too, need to do this and I have been putting it off for at least two years. There is something I don't understand in the picture. I was going to drop the wheel, mudguard, stays, stanchions and old gaiters out of  trees as one unit, replace the gaiters and shove it back together. Am I missing a critical point that would preclude this approach? I have never had the front end apart since putting it together around 2006 (when I first met some of you guys), which means I've only put a whole front end together once, and then it was from the top down. (A7 barn-find front end not together enough yet to say it's together).

Richard L.

Probably not missing anything Richard, to be honest.
For my today's jobs, most people would drop the stanchions one at a time and fit the rubbers from the top. I think that is accepted practice and I have done that in the past.

But, with AMC teledraulics (they have external springs and big diameter gaiters), if you take all the studs/fasteners that locate the mudguard and brake anchor arm out of the sliders, you can pass the new prophylactics up from the bottom. (That sounds terrible, but you know what I mean!)

My A10 and also my B31 had metal shrouds as stock so I never had condom failures with them - so I don't know if you can do the same with gaiters on Beesas. Plenty of people here will know though, as I imagine the quality and lifespan of the rubber bits available for all marques is equally questionable.
If stanchions aren't hard-chromed (and teledraulics aren't), it's not a job to leave for ever, because rust will eat away just north of the bottom yoke where moisture collects, and can seriously weaken the front end. I have had to junk a couple of pairs of stanchions in my life due to this, with the wall thickness down to two-thirds or even a half of what it should have been. Scary, because even a minor shunt would be pretty bad news if a stanchion snapped..
Bill

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2328 on: 26.07. 2022 22:39 »
Fairy liquid has a fair amount of salt in it. Potentially quite a good way of setting off corrosion in wheel rims and spokes. I use talc - smells better than rubber anyway.

Where did you find a 3.25 tyre? As far as I know, they haven't been available for a very long time. Velocette used to specify them for the rear wheel, reckoned it handled better with that than a 3.50. Can't say I noticed the difference with mine when I changed.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2329 on: 27.07. 2022 20:16 »
My son's day off so he was around to help me get the GF off the lift and the M21 vee twin on in its place. I'm planning to fit an elec starter to it, as it's the last I ride that needs a healthy boot to start and I don't want to risk my hip.
There's no room (frame in the way) to drop the mechanism down behind the primary as with the A series S/A so my idea - at present - is to mount the starter a bit like the current dynamo (driving the crank by cogged belt).
Photo 1 shows current arrangement, photo 2 the belt drive to dynamo, photo 3 primary chain / clutch and photo 4 the amount of oil that was in the primary - about a quarter of a teaspoon.
Note in pic 3 the clutch is dry, the sprockets / chain are in good order and the chain tension is about right. Clutch works fine & doesn't slip or drag. And that's the first time in almost 30 yrs / 10,000 miles that the primary cover has been off. All I've done in that time is give the chain a squirt from an oil can through the inspection hole every 500 miles or so.
Was thinking this evening whilst having my dinner al fresco about the days I did sand racing. Just imagine how much grief that primary gets - there's no case or cover and the front wheel dumps several kilos of sand straight on it at every corner. I used to clean the chain and re-lube it after every meeting; that way a chain would last a whole season's racing.

'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2330 on: 28.07. 2022 00:47 »
HI RD,
Could you fit a dynostarter as fitted to the  Moto Guzzi Neuvo Falcone ?

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2331 on: 28.07. 2022 10:28 »
Interesting idea, John, but would it have the urge to spin an 800cc 7:1 twin, and at what reduction?
Last time I used one of those was when I fitted one to a SABB marine engine (small twin cyl ). The dynamo pulley was around 2" dia running onto the engine's flywheel of approx 18" dia. It turned the engine over, but rather lethargically.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2332 on: 28.07. 2022 12:29 »
This starter issue, while not A7/A10, is a great topic and deserves a place of its own, not buried in the casual "What have you done..." Appreciating, not complaining.

Richard L.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2333 on: 28.07. 2022 17:27 »
Forgot to add: looking at my pic 1 (or 2) above, note there's a dip in the flange of the primary cover at the top, around halfway along the clutch bulge area. About the only give-away that I had to lengthen the primary cases an inch as I couldn't get the gearbox any closer to the engine. And I promise it's not full of filler! I still admire it after c. 30 yrs (not a tin basher by profession or inclination).

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2334 on: 30.07. 2022 04:17 »
G'day Fellas.
SHE LIVES Just started the 51 A7 plunger after a full motor rebuild. Started 3rd kick, no horrible noises. Just ran for a few minutes. Now to throw the tank on and do a lap to bed the rings in. Then check the timing. She needs a new carb (932) as the slide is a bit sloppy.
 *beer* *beer* *beer* *beer*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2335 on: 30.07. 2022 06:12 »
I’ve been having charging problems and thinking voltmeters, so managed to fit a small digital one inside the dodgy ‘lucas’ affair – see pics including engine running & charging (6v system). Very fiddly. If it doesn’t shake itself to death I may do the same on the b. also the brightness is not adjustable so will see how that works at on sunny days and night time.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2336 on: 30.07. 2022 08:42 »
You see, Kiwis can do anything!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2337 on: 30.07. 2022 09:01 »
G'day Fellas.
SHE LIVES
Oh mate, that's great news 👌👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2338 on: 30.07. 2022 10:03 »
Brilliant Musky. *smile*

For me, first ride out since fitting the new ATD - ran sweetly although I'm sure there are extra 'noises' coming from the motor (mines bloody noisy though running big tappet clearances and eye-watering end float on the crank) *eek* *eek* :o :o.  Decided to take the view that, if it's running nicely (got it up to 70mph which is about as fast as I ever go on it), and it's running through the revs cleanly, then I'll just enjoy it.  Only did 15 miles then got home, dropped the oil out (like a diesel seems to turn blackish very quickly??), cleaned oil tank, checked unions, undid feed and return pipes, to drain as much oil as possible, whipped off timing cover to check for any more debris and drain more oil (there was a sliver of metal under the oil pump), checked ATD, etc, whipped off sump to clear gauze of fibre gear debris (no metal though!!), cleaned out oil tank and checked for metal fragments (none), all back together and fresh 20/50. *work* *work* *work* 

Just waiting for the rain to stop for a more demanding ride.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2339 on: 31.07. 2022 01:26 »
Success Muskrat, Looking forward to hear how the bed-in ride went.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia