Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130373 times)

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2385 on: 08.08. 2022 10:15 »
RD, What sort of velo did you have? a noddy bike?
My old venom was brilliant except for starting the damn thing.
It handled like a dream and went like the clappers.
Except for the starting there was nothing to improve.
Had some of the best trips of my life on that old girl.
I have heard the thruxtons are lumpy pigs though.
cheers

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #2386 on: 08.08. 2022 10:20 »
I don't know much about Velos (apart from LEs that hardly count) but a friend's Venom I used to ride a fair bit was a good machine I thought. Of course, I never had to set up the clutch, nor the crank (my mate 'did' the big end assembly himself, borrowing a larger lathe than he had). I know they are a bit different - but it all worked well and I didn't break any body parts on the kickstart, even with size 13s.
'Get it just over compression, swing lever down to the bottom of its movement, then give a it a good strong prod' was what I was advised and away she always went. A local friend's late MSS is the same. Don't handle like twin down-tube Beesas or a Featherbed, but they feel up together to me, as in 'Go where Aimed'. The thing I liked most was the (relatively) high speed cruising capability and the unburstable feel, despite quirks and some fairly antiquated features. If I ever had the necessary ££$$€€ . . .  they're one of the few singles that tempt!
Tin chaincases though - yuk. Been fighting one set the best part of 50 leaky years  . . . luckily my Notrun has a belt and a diaphragm clutch so that's one bit of that bike that causes no grief.
Bill

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2387 on: 09.08. 2022 00:30 »
Fella, sounds like you copped a bad Velo, - bent frame? worn forks?
A Venom in good order should hit the ton, or very close, and cruise at 80 all day. The handling should be neutral and faultless if it's straight. The main bearings pre-load ensures perfect fits when warm and run in. If you've ever seen an M17/8 (Venom) cam you'll know why you don't need "tuning parts". You can easily upgrade the 'lower spec' MSS to VM tune.

If I want a sporty ride I'll take my Venom, if I want a relaxed slower cruise the Super Rocket is the go.
The reason the Thruxton may feel 'lumpy' is that it has a GP racing carb, -like a Goldie, no tickover, -it's built to go fast, not pootle around town, A VM Clubman is almost as quick but is a little easier to live with.
I agree that there are a few things, like that chaincase, that aren't brilliant - but there's not much.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2388 on: 09.08. 2022 08:34 »
Took the bike out of the garage thinking about a test run after latest ATD issue. *smile* *smile*Fired her up first kick but, when revving out, she was a nasty bi*ch, backfiring, being lumpy and spitting back through the carb, finally stopping and refusing to start. *evil* *evil* *razz* *razz* *problem* *rant* *rant* >:D *sad* *sad* *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *bash* *bash*  I whipped off the timing cover again to check whether the ATD was ok - IT WAS, so had a think. *conf2* *conf2*  I remember someone, somewhere, saying that some new springs on the ATD were too strong and the bike wouldn't advance as it should at speed. *bright idea* *bright idea*  Replaced springs with used, original (non-Wassell) types that I had spare.  Retimed engine, back to together, fired up 3rd kick (which is normal for mine) and ran and revved out smoothly.  She also sounded right (didn't before) - just ran 'cleaner' if you know what I mean.  Anyhow, I'm eyeing up a local ride of around 50m to see if she spits out her teeth again. *doubt* *doubt*

Just a quick idea here though, I was looking for a 'peg' down the earth brush hole to prevent the maggie from turning on initial offering up and nipping up the ATD.  Couldn't find a 5/16 BSF to suit, so thought about a nylon bolt (which I didn't have).  In the end, I found an unused nozzle from a tube of sealant.  Cut a bit off the end and screwed it into the hole.  As it went in, it cut a thread on the outside of the nozzle, and managed to lock up the maggie pretty well (was reluctant to use a metal bolt anyway for fear of damage).  Good thing is, it's reusable with the thread, and the timing seems good as well. *bright idea* *bright idea* *bright idea* *bright idea* *good3* *good3* *good3*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2389 on: 09.08. 2022 09:04 »
Fired the SR up today with the new JRC carb fitted. 2nd kick start, and from then on, first kick every time. With a few seconds fiddling with the pilot and throttle stop screws, it just starts and settles into a beautiful steady smooth even tickover. I didn't know that was even possible with this motor (Well it certainly wasn't with Amals on it!)

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #2390 on: 13.08. 2022 23:30 »
Just back from the Devon Panther rally. Fab time but totally shattered. Please, please please remind me this time next year that i hate camping (anywhere near other humans)! I am sure i said "never will camp again" last year?
Did about 270 miles yesterday and today. There, back and ride out with the group. One of the Panthers had catastrophic failure with crankcase bits everywhere and the rod pushing through the top rear of the cases. A very upsetting site at the start of the ride. At least it wasn't on a fast bend and no one was injured.
Must say the A10 did me proud as usual engine wise and maybe it will go to Spain! Drained the gearbox oil soon as i got home, i'll never be able to get it that hot again without a blow torch, so most of it should dribble out tonight. I must say these two days were jolly hot which added to the adventure and the challenge.
 *computer* *countdown* *work* *pull hair out* *bash* *good3* *beer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2391 on: 14.08. 2022 05:24 »
Spent some time installing the McFarlane Electric Starter. I removed the old MCR2 voltage regulator and the partition *work*, made a nice little bracket for the DVR2 in the toolbox, refitted the oil filter and hoses, and fitted the starter solenoid behind the battery. Barely enough room for it - only a few millimetres between solenoid and battery and between solenoid and mudguard. The space is getting cramped with oil filter hoses etc.
Dynamo is now converted to 12V, so getting closer to riding day.
Waiting on shims to adjust the chain drive to the starter. It's a bit out of line and I've run out of my shim stocks.
One glance at the From Above photo and you will see I have a job tidying up the wiring. (Thought I'd jump in there and confess before I am TOLD). Now where did I put that wiring diagram??  *conf2*
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2392 on: 14.08. 2022 05:54 »
G'day Col.
Looks like you went to the same wiring school as me  *smile*
Wish I had room in my plunger toolbox to fit the filter. A mate made me a small filter mount but it got fried  *ex*

S*ite weather here today so just put the colortune into a plug hole to check the pilot and slide in the new 932. Pilot is OK but the #3 slide is rich. I ordered a #3.5 to try and lower the needle to top notch incase it masks it. Waiting for fair weather to road test (ha, not this week!).
Bugga, wife just poured me a triple bourbon. There goes the shed work ;)
Cheers 
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2393 on: 14.08. 2022 07:07 »
If you are not overly concerned about being totally original this might work. On one of the plungers I built I mounted the filter laying down behind the gearbox, dead easy to drain or change the actual filter. That was on a bike I built from bits so originality wasnt important.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2394 on: 14.08. 2022 07:40 »
Is that a BMW or Velocette filter Brian?
(Originality doesn't come into it of course as there was never a filter in the original).
Does look like a nice installation.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2395 on: 14.08. 2022 07:51 »
It was a aftermarket one that I bought of e-bay. I think the rocket 3 and Triumph Tridents use that filter (long skinny thing).

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2396 on: 14.08. 2022 12:04 »
Took 5 of our bikes to our local Carnell Green Vintage Rally yesterday. Bikes included a DBD34, RGS and a RGS3 which is a rocket three engine in a RGS frame. The three were a tribute to my late brother who built them. My nephew put a note in front of the bikes.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2397 on: 14.08. 2022 13:51 »
Beautiful...

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2398 on: 14.08. 2022 13:55 »
Just back from the Devon Panther rally. Fab time but totally shattered.
Standing back like that, you make the bike look huge!

I'm not sure I want to do BSAOC camping weekends again. I never get enough sleep on a camp bed.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK