Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130334 times)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2370 on: 04.08. 2022 11:35 »

[/quote]
This explains how ancient motorcycles have survived for a very long time despite having sloppy crank endfloat and partly blocked sludge traps; they are not precision instruments.
[/quote]

Mind you GB, I did say I always 'Do Something' rapidly if I think I detect any hint of big end (read 'bottom end' maybe) trouble! A stitch in time and all that  . . .

Bill

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2371 on: 04.08. 2022 12:09 »

This explains how ancient motorcycles have survived for a very long time despite having sloppy crank endfloat and partly blocked sludge traps; they are not precision instruments.

Mind you GB, I did say I always 'Do Something' rapidly if I think I detect any hint of big end (read 'bottom end' maybe) trouble! A stitch in time and all that  . . .
Yup, I didn't miss that comment
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2372 on: 04.08. 2022 12:47 »
Here we go guys, ATD on, timed up, back together, started first kick!!!  Did sound slightly different on exhaust note - not bad, just different.  Did spit through the exhaust a couple of times, but then seemed to clear.  Tickover was slower than before, but she revved out well.  Will leave overnight to see how much of the fibre teeth drops into the gauze and will clear.  Put new springs on the bobweights, don't know if they are stronger than the originals, but that may account for something.

Screwed the centre nut on very, very carefully with timing buzzer still attached to the c/b to listen for movement.  Then, holding it steady on the long maggie bolt at c/b end, nipped it up a bit more.  Then got a screwdriver behind one of the bobweight posts to hold it steady for final tightening.  Don't really want to load the fibre gear against the pinion even when the taper is sufficiently engaged.

It's now one of those confidence things.  Do I attempt to go for a longish run or stay local for a little while.  I told the recovery people that it was a timing issue and, because they don't recover for the same problem, I'd have to make up a tale if I needed recovery again.  Fortunately, people have no clue with these bikes, so you can tell them whatever.  I was asked when arranging recovery if it could be fixed at the roadside?  I said there was no chance!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2373 on: 04.08. 2022 18:39 »
As the GF is basically un-rideable due to clutch slip, thought I'd take the GFV2 for a spin. Petrol on, chokes on, decompress, press starter, slowly release decompressors - and nothing. Thought the starter had sheared the shear pin again, but no. The sprag clutch has given up the ghost. It's rated @ 284 ftlbs, so imagine how much work that starter has to do to turn the motor over.  *eek* Now to order a new one ....
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2374 on: 04.08. 2022 21:21 »
This is a great topic (obviously, all the posts :O). But... I do have the impression some posts and topics could (should?) be in dedicated topics in the tech boards. Here, f.ex. very specific magneto, frame, gearbox, whatever etc etc posts may get buried and somewhat hidden among lots of other subjects and chat.

Been pondering on this for while. The idea is not to stop the "what have you done's", but in some cases after posting in this topic, then move over to tech boards and create a topic for the specifics, refering to it in this topic.

Ideas & opinions welcome, anything to make the forum better, especially the tech boards. Thanks.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #2375 on: 04.08. 2022 22:55 »
i have done my back in AGAIN! so today was a steady potter about and i put some empty engine and gearbox cases in the berglar build ready for dropping some spare barrels on and head to see about exhaust and foot rest fixings. tonight i decided to go to a bike meet about 8 miles from home, i got betsy out to see if i could manage the clipons  with the back problem and she fired up first kick so off i went. i sat on a wall with an old mate i hardly ever see and talked bikes for a couple of hours. there was about 70 bikers there and betsy and my mates star fire with a B40 engine were the only old bikes there. when i tried to stand up i was in agony but once upright i was ok and betsy fired up first kick again, off we went home with betsy showing off yet again making beautiful noises through the meggas..  tomorrow it is cut the 30 year old van up in places ready for weldering new metal in for the MOT it is totally rotten around the drivers seat belt anchor point and wheel arch  *bash* *pull hair out*  *work*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2376 on: 05.08. 2022 10:08 »
SHM,
I wonder about members fear of posting due to their lack of English and Grammer skills.
Just go for it chaps. The atmosphere here is friendly, unlike FaceAche where you can get ripped apart by the so called experts.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2377 on: 05.08. 2022 10:54 »
GB so called experts on FB , i had a couple of those when i posted my genuine RRT2 for sale and put some photo's on , one said good luck selling your fake RRT2 and several asked about reverse cam plate. i ended up saying if it wasn't the proper thing i would have advertised it as a nearly RRT2 *bash*

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2378 on: 05.08. 2022 13:21 »
As you well know Berger  the world is full of arseholes ,best to ignore and just go for it ,by the way did it sell ? Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2379 on: 06.08. 2022 08:31 »
BOB ,no it hasn't sold yet, a chap told me to put it for sale on a ebay. not a site where you get loads of key board weirdo's

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2380 on: 06.08. 2022 19:17 »
@ caretaker,

One reason that (in my opinion) the posts maybe tend not to, is that members can express themselves in a less formal way in the Chat, Off-topic section, so it draws in posts from less 'technically proficient' members and allows the conversation to meander between technical points and supposition.

I myself, for instance, feel that I comment in this section in a way that I wouldn't in the technical areas, also if I make a fool of myself, it does not seem to matter as much (although i'm not concerned about saying something silly, having worked all my life as an educator, I know the inherent value therein).

Another point is the forum is often a victim of it's own success, there are a few regular hard core technical commentators it appears, (to me as a newbie) and that could well intimidate forum members who are possibly concerned about not being 'knowledgeable' because of the consistently high standard of advice from that core group.

Very good comments. Basically, the only rule in the tech boards is to stay on topic, keeping the content connected to the title of the topic. Start a new topic in another board etc if for some reason the discussion content floats away from the original posts. Simple, no? :O)

As for how one express oneself, zero need for fantastic writing skills, nice prosa nor perfect orthography nor great tech knowledge nor perfect english etc, ask for \ get help, provide useful info and extra comments, make it a good topic that someone else will find very useful in 4 years or 14 years time.

Get bikes running providing satisfaction for it's owners. And make some good friends on top.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2381 on: 07.08. 2022 11:04 »
I've got 4 road-going bikes - and they're all currently out of service, The Firestorm (although I don't ride it anymore) was dropping a cylinder when my son took it out ten days ago. Took the tank off a couple of days ago and looked at the carbs' diaphragms etc (a pair of 2" carbs would you believe) and looked at the rear plug. Can't see much wrong so it's 'pending'.
The M21V2 is on the lift having a starter fitted (heeding Richard L's suggestion, more about that under 'starter' heading' a bit later).
The GFV2 is waiting for a new starter sprag, the one fitted having failed. Must say, having opened said sprag for a look, I'm thoroughly unimpressed. Time was they had springs actuating shaped feet, but now it's just a handful of steel pieces held in place - and tensioned by - a bit of plastic. No wonder they advise a 50*C max temp. Maybe it got too hot?
And so yesterday I fitted a lifting handle to the GFV2 whilst waiting arrival of new sprag     

Also took the primary cover off the GF to clean the clutch plates. Front pipe off to get to footrest nut, release rear brake cable and undo five hundred (ok, I exaggerate but it takes time) screws to release cover (at least it's not as bad as a Velocette with their circumferential rubber band and clip which can take many frustrating hours to re-assemble).
Then washed the plates in petrol (clutch worked perfectly before I added oil to the case). Seeing extra space available I decided to go for an extra pair of plates (now 6 friction) but found the resulting clutch action impossible. Even though I've still got strong hands, there was no way I could pull the lever in. The extra length has made the spring studs effectively too short, so now I'm currently waiting for some 1/4" nyloc nuts to replace the nut / locknut originals. Ho hum. Good job I've got cars .....

Just noted I've wrongly titled pic - should be GFV2 sprag, not M21 sprag
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2382 on: 07.08. 2022 11:17 »
Hunted through my many containers of old bolts to find a 3/8" black bolt with 19mm unthreaded part for the Inner chaincase rear bolt. Found a galv nut to match. I had been using a 5/16" BSCy stud which allowed the rear end of the case to be bolted in any position up or down.
I drilled the holes in both frame and chaincase to 3/8" (only a poofteenth of metal needed to be removed) so the bolt will align the chaincase the same every time. Next job to clean and paint it.
Very uninteresting I know - sorry *red*, but I got some satisfaction from the exercise.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2383 on: 07.08. 2022 11:38 »
Yeah well, don't rubbish Velocettes, The band type PCC was only used briefly... the later screw type was the one that was used in the main.
Velo engineering was way ahead of BSA.
Of course they all leak, Velos, Beezers etc etc...

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2384 on: 07.08. 2022 11:57 »
Velo engineering was way ahead of BSA.
I wouldn't stretch it that far ....
Leaving aside the cammy racers - sure, the Velo crank / case design with their taper roller bearings was solid - but why make them specially with an almost imperceptible taper? The kickstart - get the lever horizontal before applying force or you'll smash your ankle on the cam protrusion on the gearbox case. The clutch - well, they worked if you realised the plates 'peel' off rather than by the usual 'lift off parallel' as on most bikes. I've mentioned the nightmare of the primary case seal - I gave up in the end and fitted self-tappers. Handling was very 'slow' insomuch as the frame wanted to go around a bend wider than the one you were on. Tuning spares? Not available. After making my own cam I still had little power (when I enquired of Velocette about tuning parts, they suggested a better plug and higher octane petrol!!). That's when I changed to BSA.