Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129132 times)

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #105 on: 25.08. 2018 14:09 »
Chamfering the leading edges of the brake shoes should help stop brake squeal. The gearchanges should be be smooth and easy. It does sound as though your clutch is dragging rather badly.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #106 on: 25.08. 2018 15:52 »
Thanks to an increasing paranoia of possible theft of speedo I have made one of these this afternoon...

How does it stop someone with a socket.?

Richard L.

It doesn't really Richard, but its less likely that someone will have a 11mm socket in the pocket than a pair of pliers. Just helps to make things a little more awkward.  :-\ :-\

Yes, you're right. Thieves look for the easy take. An unlocked car door, an open window on your house, a purse held loosely by the strap, etc.  So simple, I didn't catch the point.

Richard L.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #107 on: 25.08. 2018 18:24 »
I went for a 20 mile ride, and by the end, the clutch was dragging. So it did not do this until pretty warm.
If it is of any consolation to you, I have exactly the same problem. I have spent literally hours and hours tearing the clutch down and adjusting it. I have stripped and reassembled the clutch five times now. I still have the problem, and I have absolutely no idea what to do next. I am seriously contemplating buying a new clutch.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #108 on: 25.08. 2018 22:46 »
Have had a day in the garage with the a10. Have hopefully found out what the tapping noise was. (after a 20 mile shake down the sound of a little man with a hammer tapping in timing case has been making me nervous). Bravely exposed timing side to disconnect dynamo drive to eliminate that. took off inner primary to have a look and found the camshaft woodruff key out and about! Have been having fun getting it all back together and now she won't start (timing out i reckon) . More fun tomorrow, back on my knees, bloodied but no broken (yet).
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #109 on: 26.08. 2018 10:34 »
G'day Jamie.
Ah another common problem. The key is/should be a snug fit in the pinion keyway. When putting the cam pinion on care must be taken to ensure the key isn't pushed out of it's home in the shaft. 1: it can fall out. 2: it may dislodge and damage the bush.
Now the bad news. If it slipped on the shaft far enough a valve may have kissed/or worse a piston. A compression check will soon tell you.
Doubt if any of this has altered the ignition timing.
Good luck.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #110 on: 26.08. 2018 12:15 »
New Pipes for the plunger turned up this morning from Freked...
Great quality & cant complain about the service, 5 days from order to delivery to my door in Australia.. 
I'll be installing them tomorrow..   *woo*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #111 on: 26.08. 2018 12:28 »
found the camshaft woodruff key out a

how did that get out and about, I know my camshaft has the usual chip out of it (cackhanded owner - ME) where the key goes but didn't think the key could exit via that, if it can maybe a thin large washer before the nut
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #112 on: 26.08. 2018 13:12 »
Hi Musky, thanks for comments. Had to remove mag adv ret unit to re-site the cam pinion. Was pleased that key was nicely held on inner timing cover, looks poss for it to wander into places i would wish to avoid! Yes Bill mine is loose in the camshaft and it took many attempts to refit pinion, managed it bit by bit whilst holding/pushing key with skinny screwdriver. The good news is she started this morn, unable to test ride as weather is foul here. Need to sort tools and garage as big mess out there. Just want her to hold together for the DGR!   
Also will be out there with my little camera down plughole to check piston kissing? Poor fitting and not checking on recent rebuild cause for it's out and aboutness.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #113 on: 26.08. 2018 13:51 »
Just want her to hold together for the DGR!

Aah! Good!

Also will be out there with my little camera down plughole to check piston kissing?

A particular kind of voyeurism that takes a certain type to appreciate.  *smile*

Richard L.

beezermacc

« Reply #114 on: 26.08. 2018 16:41 »
Went out on my 'daily rider' (scruffy Super Rocket) to a bike gathering near Crewe. Got soaking wet, had a horrible beefburger for lunch. Got home, had a hot shower, now sneezing like an elephant and got serious case of 'the trots'!

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #115 on: 26.08. 2018 20:24 »
Went out on my 'daily rider' (scruffy Super Rocket) to a bike gathering near Crewe. Got soaking wet, had a horrible beefburger for lunch. Got home, had a hot shower, now sneezing like an elephant and got serious case of 'the trots'!
After this morning's weather forecast I'm surprised you went out on a bike.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #116 on: 26.08. 2018 20:35 »
I was also out on the A10 today, dry to start with at 9.15 am but chucking it down by 12.15. Bike had a nasty clutch slip first thing by feel of the kick start, this has been happening for a while now and is one of those jobs that need sorting sooner or later. Nice run, did cover the magneto when parked as the rain was kinda expected. I must admit though, I was riding gingerly in the wet conditions especially after the long dry weather.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

beezermacc

« Reply #117 on: 26.08. 2018 22:45 »
After this morning's weather forecast I'm surprised you went out on a bike.
Was dragged out by the Chairman of our branch determined to 'network' with other clubs. Didn't want to let him down. He's ex-management but forgotten he's retired sometimes!

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #118 on: 26.08. 2018 23:39 »
I went for a 20 mile ride, and by the end, the clutch was dragging. So it did not do this until pretty warm.
If it is of any consolation to you, I have exactly the same problem. I have spent literally hours and hours tearing the clutch down and adjusting it. I have stripped and reassembled the clutch five times now. I still have the problem, and I have absolutely no idea what to do next. I am seriously contemplating buying a new clutch.

Except I did a GS550 clutch conversion.... *doubt*

I also completely rebuilt the box...maybe I am wrong and its not drag. Maybe we are chasing rainbows and its something else *????*

I will keep working on this and keep you up to date.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #119 on: 26.08. 2018 23:49 »
Rode it. Not charging by end of ride. A new story will unfold (no guarantee it will be interesting).