Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129986 times)

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #615 on: 15.05. 2019 07:19 »
Apologies to the Mods I wasn't sure if I should have posted here or in Engine section.. *????*
Since the rebuild of my '51 plunger and 1st start up it has become really hard to kick over...
so much so that I can hardly manage to get it to turn over with all my weight (92Kg )
Yesterday and again today I decided to strip the motor down to see whats going on in there..
Head & barrels off... Valves, springs, bore, rings & pistons are all good..
Next the check the Cam & followers are moving freely & like new ...
Remove the oil pump which rotates freely..   
Remove all the primary to the crank & there lays a problem...   I can not rotate the stripped crank by hand ..
Next check endfloat.. nope the crank is rock solid sideways...

Soooo... it looks like it's a motor out of the frame again, & split the cases to find the cause. My thoughts are It's got to be either over shimmed or a conrod bearing has spun..  *pull hair out*
Any other thoughts of whats going on appreciated?  *????*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #616 on: 15.05. 2019 08:34 »
What a bugger!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #617 on: 15.05. 2019 08:39 »
Wozza.. Looks to be a very good and competent recent build. The fault lies with the crank by your findings. Most likely suspect is the timing bush, set up with too little running clearance, and its partial then eventual seizure giving you the kick over problem. The next consideration too little endfloat, binding the crank on the back of the bush, then finally a big end problem, but this will give you a clue comparing rock on the rods at this stage.  All conjecture up to now, so alas, a complete strip is your next move. Ideal time to check that sludge trap......

Swarfy

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #618 on: 15.05. 2019 08:41 »
G'day Woz.
What was done to the bottom end in the rebuild? If it was over shimmed it would have been stiff to turn right from the start.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #619 on: 15.05. 2019 09:10 »
G'day Woz.
What was done to the bottom end in the rebuild? If it was over shimmed it would have been stiff to turn right from the start.
Cheers
Hi Musky... The 1992 receipt when it was built shows the bottom end had a crank grind, new bearing shells, crank bolts, cam / cam followers & main bearing... 
The motor had not been started & left out of the frame for 30 odd years.. 
The old parts were also supplied as spares when I bought it..
I previously stripped it to the cases,  check all parts were there as documented..
When I lifted the barrels I could see the new cam & rod bolts & main bearing..so only did a top end strip, I replaced all gaskets including the cork ones, & piston rings..
NOW I wish I dug a little deeper & split the cases..  *problem*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #620 on: 15.05. 2019 09:26 »
had this on my last rebuild, can't be certain but I reckon it was not line bored square, I took it back to the firm that did it with another new bush and it came back fine, no apology but also no charge so you know none of us are infallible
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #621 on: 15.05. 2019 09:55 »
Mine seized solid on the timing side bush at just 250 miles after rebuild. Took it to Roger at Cake Street at that point. He reckoned there had not been enough clearance allowed for on the bush.

I was never convinced it wasn't the sprung anti-sump valve I'd fitted on the oil feed side (required on an all new built engine???).
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #622 on: 20.05. 2019 09:55 »
Mine seized solid on the timing side bush at just 250 miles after rebuild.
Ditto... When sized correctly it looked like it had not been reamed...  *razz* 
she's ALL FIXED now..  sludge trap tomorrow & polish a couple of nicks out of the rods..
Then re-assembly later this week.. 
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #623 on: 27.05. 2019 20:04 »
Struck lucky at a li'l old  autojumble at Kettleburgh, in Suffolk.  I go to these most times in the year  and the same guys have the same stuff time after time. So a lot of it never gets sold because it is too pricey and some fellas in this game are not the ones you feel would be inclined to negotiate a price. Any fitness for purpose you could imagine is guaranteed by an iron bar and a big dog, and its cash only if you get my drift.

Anyway, picked up a nicely corroded Plunger Chaincase, Sump Plate and the very rare undamaged Plunger drive side Crankcase, which with a little line boring will match the rest of my exploded motor.  Guess I got carried away when I found a couple of more sensible chaps, so much so that to quote Elwood Blues..."They were practically giving them away". 

Well pleased, great value, and to be honest the bad boys weren't that frightening, once I complemented them on their body art.

Swarfy.

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #624 on: 28.05. 2019 10:08 »
Dam I missed the Kettle, I always go but its not particlarlyly well advertised even locally. You are right Swarfcut the same vendors year in year out with the same rusty stuff, but occasionally a real gem.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #625 on: 28.05. 2019 11:56 »
 Angus, you know then how hard a place  it is to find, and the formidable character of some of the sellers. Spent some time today cleaning up yesterday's impulse purchases, you're right, gems indeed.  Funny how the things you need are never there, then one day you manage to buy the last Ming Vase. Next time you are spoilt for choice, and you find a whole box full. Sod's Law?

Swarfy.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #626 on: 29.05. 2019 13:07 »
Absolutely nothing!
Ah me too, however, been to town and ordered timber for a replacement shed, got the old one pulled down and busy with the founds for replacing it. *work*
Will have to shift bikes around and organise the garage and other sheds to get the timber inside (UK weather ?), this could mean a test ride on the flash as it will need to change residence from fixing shed to storage shed, grass needs cutting also.
Got a bit of a back at the minute so jobs might have to be in order of least bending  *sad*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #627 on: 29.05. 2019 15:43 »
join the club Bill been suffering for 3 bloody weeks!
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #628 on: 29.05. 2019 17:40 »
In another post you will see that I have a charging surge so decided today to check out some things that members have suggested mainly the earths and the ammeter earths checked out ok good continuity but when I checked the ammeter I found that one of the terminals had a bit of play which meant with the lights on if you moved the terminal the lights went on and off. So ordered a new ammeter, also to get at the ammeter I had to remove the Avon handlebar fairing and noticed a minor crack running from one of the mounting holes so fixed that but am waiting for some paint that I have ordered to finish the job. Have also decided while I am doing these things and the weather is naff to fix the side stand which has got too much play on it took it off and found that the mounting hole has elongated slightly allowing the bike to lean over to far so have ordered a drill to enlarge the hole only needs to increase by 1mm and then will make a new pin in the lathe to suit also will put some weld on the stop to stop it hitting the exhaust. hope to get all done by the weekend as the weather is set to get better on Saturday.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #629 on: 30.05. 2019 10:59 »
What have you done with your bike/s today?
When I was in the shed yesterday getting some tools I patted the saddle of my Precious and muttered sweet nothings.

PS; I'm talking about my motorbike by the way!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash