Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129152 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #660 on: 02.06. 2019 21:14 »
I bought a ride in a Ford Trimotor. Qualifies as bucket-list stuff and will be posting pics and video.
Nice!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Trimotor

That's the exact one, and the picture of the inside was basically taken from the seat I was sitting in. I'm going to say the price of the ride at $77 because I thought it was very fair, actually a good deal. Even better, the pilot had to go-around on first landing attempt due to traffic on the runway, adding about 10 minutes to my painful (in a good way) smile.

Richard L.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #661 on: 02.06. 2019 21:19 »
P.S. You could also buy a ride on a B-25 for $475, but that ride was to occur at a diffrent event (runway in Bollingbrook too short).  Given that cost, I believe that experience will not be part of what fills my bucket to be kicked.

Richard L.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #662 on: 02.06. 2019 21:22 »
My local club had a monthly general meeting yesterday. There was a secret ballot vote as to whether I should be expelled due to complaints of my perceived dangerous and risky riding. A few female members don't like to be overtaken. I survived the vote 47 to 12. I can now keep riding, and hope the 12 find another club.

Some people...
I took the plunger out for a long ride this morning. After about 20 min. had to turn left at a red light. The light was on red, and while I waited, a police van pulled up to my right and a stupid little diligent copper made sign that I was not wearing (the compulsory) gloves... *rant* I mean, could you believe that? Apart from the gloves, I was wearing all legally required protective gear but I just couldn't get myself pulling on my gloves as the temperature was already well above the 30°C mark when I left off... 
Worst thing is that I drove behind him just before that, were I noticed the idiot himself driving through a 30km/h zone at 50... *angry* *angry*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #663 on: 02.06. 2019 21:33 »
Though Illinois is one of the few states with no helmet law (though I always wear one) I think helmet laws are important. In a sense, they protect society from the cost of hospital and care for those unable to afford it on their own. Gloves, on the other hand (so to speak) should not be the government's business. Do they really need to worry about the cost of the skin scraped off your hands when bones are being reset in surgery. This literally applies to me, as my wrist was broken and tendon cut back in '79, requiring surgery. I don't even recall if I was wearing gloves, but they weren't going to prevent my injuries.

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #664 on: 02.06. 2019 22:10 »
here in the  UK  it's too damn cold not to wear gloves most of the time
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #665 on: 02.06. 2019 23:05 »
I invariably wear my comfortable leather gloves, (donated to me by a very decent chap who is a member of this forum) with silk undergloves, (they aid glove removal and refitting when hands are damp).
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #666 on: 03.06. 2019 00:32 »
Morris,

Gotta ask, could you, for example, wear latex rubber gloves?

Richard L.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #667 on: 03.06. 2019 05:59 »
Morris,

Gotta ask, could you, for example, wear latex rubber gloves?

Richard L.

Good question. The law says that a motorcyclist has to wear a long sleeved coat, long trousers, high shank boots and gloves, but it don’t say what they have to be made of apart from the helmet which should have a CE approval mark. I imagine that latex gloves and one of those plastic emergency raincoats would do then *eek*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #668 on: 03.06. 2019 07:51 »
Morris,

You have to get yourself an all Spandex riding outfit.

Richard L.

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #669 on: 03.06. 2019 09:00 »
Post deleted as it appears to have upset the subsequent pedantic post
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #670 on: 03.06. 2019 12:47 »
But for the exclamation point after "Back on topic!" I would have left this alone.

So, Sav, what you've done with your bikes today is "won't be riding..."  *whistle* ;) *smile*

Richard L.

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #671 on: 03.06. 2019 16:13 »
What I have done with my bike today is... ridden it.

Over the weekend I have clocked up seventy or eighty miles just pottering around the Lake District, and it was all very lovely. But on reflection, I do think that rather than just riding aimlessly, there is something very special about using my bike for the purpose it was designed and built. I mean, as cheap reliable transport for an ordinary working man to get to his work and back, perhaps picking up a bit of shopping, perhaps dropping a kid off at school. It never ceases to amaze me how many motorcyclists (riders of both classic and modern) will happily whizz around for miles and miles at the weekend, but then go home, put the bike away, and get in the car to go to the shops or to work. Come to think of it, there are a lot of push-bike riders who are exactly the same. These 'weekend warriors' seem to have forgotten why our wonderful machines were invented in the first place!

For me, using my BSA as a means of daily transport, in exactly the same way my Grandfather used his, creates a link with the past and the heritage of the marque which I would struggle to experience if I just wheeled it out on special occasions for a leisurely ride in the sunshine.

Anyway... Those are the thoughts with which I have been sharing my helmet today! 
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #672 on: 03.06. 2019 17:35 »
What I have done with my bike today is... ridden it.

Over the weekend I have clocked up seventy or eighty miles just pottering around the Lake District, and it was all very lovely. But on reflection, I do think that rather than just riding aimlessly, there is something very special about using my bike for the purpose it was designed and built. I mean, as cheap reliable transport for an ordinary working man to get to his work and back, perhaps picking up a bit of shopping, perhaps dropping a kid off at school. It never ceases to amaze me how many motorcyclists (riders of both classic and modern) will happily whizz around for miles and miles at the weekend, but then go home, put the bike away, and get in the car to go to the shops or to work. Come to think of it, there are a lot of push-bike riders who are exactly the same. These 'weekend warriors' seem to have forgotten why our wonderful machines were invented in the first place!

For me, using my BSA as a means of daily transport, in exactly the same way my Grandfather used his, creates a link with the past and the heritage of the marque which I would struggle to experience if I just wheeled it out on special occasions for a leisurely ride in the sunshine.

Anyway... Those are the thoughts with which I have been sharing my helmet today!

Pretty much the same for me. Apart from popping out for a few local trail riding trips this year I don't ordinarily just pop out 'just for a ride'. I have to be going somewhere or I'm just plain not going. That somewhere could be a bike rally or club meeting or some such mind you - but still with a purpose.

I wouldn't use my A10 for the daily commute because I wouldn't be leaving it in the same place each day and possibly attracting the attentions of some 'orrible oiks.

Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #673 on: 03.06. 2019 18:20 »
Another few hours building the vee twin. I’ve never spent so long putting anything together and I have to say it’s now becoming a PITA. A day or two a week for at least three months now – lining up the engine and making plates, making inlet & exhaust manifolds, sorting the magneto, making throttle, choke and decompressor cables, sorting the front suspension (Suzuki front end on S/A A10). Just found the GT750 forks came with GS750 calipers. The latter fit on the rear of the forks, the GT on the front, so now I must fit the right caliper on the left and vice-versa - shades of Johnny Cash’s ‘The one on the right is on the left’. Great song that.
Got the oil tank and pipes to fit, find a kickstart lever at less than feked’s £13 postage, rebuild the front wheel and it’ll nearly be ready for the big test to see if it runs. Given the engine size and CR I might dig out the engine roller starter for that, though that needs attention as well. Where does the time go?
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #674 on: 03.06. 2019 19:41 »
Rode the MSS to the Velo Owners agm. Left a bit early as was contemplating killing myself with a sharp object during interminable treasurer's report. Went on to VMCC section BBQ - rain finally stopped so all well.
Waiting for some carb bits to arrive to get the A7 back on the road.
Was always astonished how trials riders don't wear gloves. Being averse to pain, I always wore thin leather gloves.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep