Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129144 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #765 on: 25.07. 2019 14:00 »
Over here nobody looks for hand signals.
Well, not many riders here use hand signals but they are still legal. The onus is on me as a vulnerable road user to make it clear what I'm going to do next and do it carefully.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #766 on: 25.07. 2019 19:47 »
Went for a short ride on the goldie, stopped to "tune up" the carb, the Pearson starter was dead (I can't use the kickstarter). Couldn't hear the solenoid  clicking but battery was fine. Pushed home. After recovering, Found button wasn't earthing solenoid so started stripping bike to trace wire. Solenoid off, throttle off to get at tricon switch, seat off, tank off. No connection from switch to solenoid but its the same wire. Only then did I remember the switch I put in to stop the herberts knocking out my battery. I would say "its an age thing" but I remember doing the same thing (pushing home) when I forgot the switch on my C11 when I was 16.   
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #767 on: 25.07. 2019 21:07 »
I remember the switch I put in...
Yup, I tend to forget my seldom used hidden mag earthing switch as well.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #768 on: 26.07. 2019 01:37 »
I will never get to the pub again at this rate *work* colsbeeza are you saying loctight the bronze bush? I wouldn't that stuff travels in ways a magician wouldn't fathom out. my opinion through experience- even though it has its uses. NOW today I fought a battle with the back end of the morris HATE *pull hair out* , I haven't got a puller for the hubs and thought i'd get the axle out by dropping the spring hangers- shackles whatever. O NO even though a previous owner had relieved the inner wheel arch a tad it needs the springs dropped further than the damper arms allow. I shocked off one taper *eek* *lol* and got one end of axle to the floor *yeah*, me thinking I could get it at an angle and wiggle it out. NO you can't keith the other spring needs dropping so another day I look like thraping the other taper---[ already hit it a few times and its winning] if I can get a nice position to hit it because ive got to hold a great big lump hammer behind it [ may have to drop petrol tank which could be good to find out why petrol gauge isn't working] any way I thought I had problems *problem* OWAIN bin those pistons I will photo the ones I took out a couple of years ago and they drove me mad with clanging which I am pretty sure you will get with those when they are tidied up and the bores sorted *fight*. they've given rain showers for tomorrow so I might leave the THRASHING of the beast and go to the pub *beer* thankyou for listening.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #769 on: 27.07. 2019 22:23 »
Rode to nearby (about 10 miles) West Chicago to see the only operational example of the world's largest  steam locomotive, The Big Boy. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/big-boy-worlds-oldest-locomotive-trnd/index.html . "Humongous" doesn"t really capture it.

On the return trip, stopped at Fermi Lab for my semi-frequent brush with nuclear physics. Well, at least, looking at exhibits in the main building, then riding around the property where areas have names like "The Muon Experiment," "The Neutrino Experiment," etc.This is big science.

Richard L.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #770 on: 27.07. 2019 22:34 »
Have been following the restoration of 4014. Makes our big steam locos look like toys.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #771 on: 28.07. 2019 00:47 »
I put about 60 miles on the bike today.

The gearbox is getting better every ride because i am getting better with the gearbox.

I only shift into 1st from a standstill.

Down to second at below 15 mph.

Thinking about one more tooth on the engine sprocket.

Fork legs are no longer leaking, new seals and dampeners working fine.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #772 on: 28.07. 2019 07:54 »
Went to the Ford Flathead Festival today on my Longstroke, the A model tow truck was my pick of them all. Stopped at Old Mate's on the way home, he has a unique house!
59 Super Rocket 

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #773 on: 28.07. 2019 09:16 »

Lee

Other than for trials or hill-climbing, that's a given, isn't it?

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #774 on: 28.07. 2019 16:23 »
Went to the Ford Flathead Festival today on my Longstroke, the A model tow truck was my pick of them all. Stopped at Old Mate's on the way home, he has a unique house!

What a great festival with amazing cars so far from their Detroit home. Your bike is beautiful and the log cabin backdrop is a bonus. I had a Model A project as a teen but let it get away  DARN!

Richard L.

Richard L.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #775 on: 28.07. 2019 16:59 »
Decided to fix the 2 stripped captive nuts in the end of the fully enclosed chaincase on the A7. What I thought would be a simple job  turned complicated, I have a clinch nut set with 4mm 5mm 6mm and 8mm clinch nuts they are fitted with a tool like a pop rivet gun. But the BSA captive nuts are special, the holes are oblong so had to file them round but then they were too big for the clinch nuts so had to make 2 what we used to call hank bushes years ago in the lathe they are essentially nuts with a collar on which you place in the hole and rivet over. But I had to remove the 2 long sections of the chaincase to fit them easy enough to get off but a right old fiddle to fit back again which I will do tomorrow after the touch up paint has dried.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #776 on: 28.07. 2019 18:01 »
Alright boyz!!  I'm afraid the wife has had a bit of a meltdown so priorities mean that I may not get out that much this summer (also, weather is moderately crap).  Bit of a gut-wrenching time as I go through lots of emotional/psychological stuff with her.  We have professional help at hand, and she's going away for a bit to think things through.  Bike, however, is looking good - prepped and ready to go at a moment's notice.  Thought one ol' girl would present enough issues - but two?? *pull hair out* :o *cry*  Seriously though, I may have to go off grid for a bit with bike related stuff as I take care of her.  Sitrep soon!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #777 on: 28.07. 2019 18:37 »
I feel for you.
My wife is dead now, but when she was alive a lot of things had to go on hold, so I know exactly where you are coming from.
Good luck.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #778 on: 28.07. 2019 22:56 »
Been doing a bit of titivating on the most pristine of my classic and vintage bikes my 1961 BSA A7SS Shooting Star. Had to strip the liner in the petrol tank that was not proof against the ethanol cr@p in petrol we are forced to use and reseal it. That and refitting the fork seals it went out for its first serious run in five years.

Full of pride I rode 40 miles to the gathering at a café in Sheerness. Pulled into the car park pleased as punch that I had got there without incident on the bikes first long run.

Parked up, received the congratulations of my friends on the new addition to the group and had brekky.

We all came out to ready our bikes just in time to see a woman reverse at lightspeed and uncontrolled across the car park, straight into the line of bikes.

Guess whose pride and joy was right in the middle of the firing line.

Deep joy ensued!

1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #779 on: 28.07. 2019 23:33 »
I put about 60 miles on the bike today.

The gearbox is getting better every ride because i am getting better with the gearbox.

Down to second at below 15 mph.

Thinking about one more tooth on the engine sprocket.

Fork legs are no longer leaking, new seals and dampeners working fine.

Lee

Do it!... I've ran with 23/24 tooth engine sprockets with 21 tooth gearbox for donkeys years. An A10 engine in fine fettle will cope easily and cruise at 65-70 at about 3,500 rpm.
England N.W
1960 A10
England