Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129971 times)

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #780 on: 29.07. 2019 07:01 »
Sneakily finally ditched the cheap Chinese horn on the Velocette and replaced it with an Altette. Of course it was all a bit more of a guddle than I imagined. Cutting a new bracket out of a bit of 1/8" stainless steel was fun but hopefully worth it.
Meanwhile back at stripping out the old kitchen... *work*   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #781 on: 29.07. 2019 09:57 »
Jeez Sav.
Did she need an ambulance? She would need the morgue wagon if it was my bike.
Had a similar thing happen to my one week old CB750F in '81. The bike cost $2600, the repair bill was $1800! Again 10 years ago to my CB1100F only on the road a few days was reversed over.
i recon people should have a bike license for two years before being allowed to get a car license.
I know how you feel.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #782 on: 29.07. 2019 11:03 »
Been doing a bit of titivating on the most pristine of my classic and vintage bikes my 1961 BSA A7SS Shooting Star. Had to strip the liner in the petrol tank that was not proof against the ethanol cr@p in petrol we are forced to use and reseal it. That and refitting the fork seals it went out for its first serious run in five years.

Full of pride I rode 40 miles to the gathering at a café in Sheerness. Pulled into the car park pleased as punch that I had got there without incident on the bikes first long run.

Parked up, received the congratulations of my friends on the new addition to the group and had brekky.

We all came out to ready our bikes just in time to see a woman reverse at lightspeed and uncontrolled across the car park, straight into the line of bikes.

Guess whose pride and joy was right in the middle of the firing line.

Deep joy ensued!

I hope the woman came out unhurt...?  >:D
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #783 on: 29.07. 2019 13:42 »
Been doing a bit of titivating on the most pristine of my classic and vintage bikes my 1961 BSA A7SS Shooting Star. Had to strip the liner in the petrol tank that was not proof against the ethanol cr@p in petrol we are forced to use and reseal it. That and refitting the fork seals it went out for its first serious run in five years.

Full of pride I rode 40 miles to the gathering at a café in Sheerness. Pulled into the car park pleased as punch that I had got there without incident on the bikes first long run.

Parked up, received the congratulations of my friends on the new addition to the group and had brekky.

We all came out to ready our bikes just in time to see a woman reverse at lightspeed and uncontrolled across the car park, straight into the line of bikes.

Deep joy ensued!

I hope the woman came out unhurt...?  >:D

She did until the bikers caught up with her.   
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #784 on: 29.07. 2019 22:50 »
I may have to go off grid for a bit with bike related stuff as I take care of her.  Sitrep soon!
All the best to both of you!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #785 on: 30.07. 2019 02:43 »
I may have to go off grid for a bit with bike related stuff as I take care of her.  Sitrep soon!
All the best to both of you!

Ditto. Be well.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #786 on: 30.07. 2019 09:04 »
I am horrified!  *pull hair out* What is the state of your bike?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #787 on: 30.07. 2019 09:37 »
It's not too bad fortunately as her light console was smashed.

Headlamp rim mullered, Light paint scrapes to front mudguard and fork stanchions, bent clutch lever, bike was on side stand and that dug in the gravel and pulled the securing bolts out, they looked pretty old and threadworn so hoping no further damage. Tin-ware comes off today.

Getting messy now though as the chap who gave me his details was not the driver. I found out later from the many club witnesses who saw it that it was his girlfriend having a spin around the car park, so now worried about insurance and should I report it to the police even though it was in a car park?
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #788 on: 30.07. 2019 11:49 »
Here's my take.  If she is driving without insurance that is an offence. Private land and private car parks are considered "Public Places" by the forces of Law and Order under certain circumstances. The real clincher is that if you can get some form of restoration for your circumstances without resorting to  police and insurance companies, so much the better. Once you involve authority it gets expensive and awkward. Any claim you make will follow you like a shadow for years, and in the end the cheapest option may be to just fix the bike yourself and put it down to experience. He is probably a man of straw, but the prospect of reporting him to the Police may open his wallet.

Meanwhile keep a note of the event, collate any photographic or witness evidence so that you are ready to proceed if a friendly word produces no result and you consider it is worth involving the powers that be.

Have a look at "Honest John", the Daily Telegraph Motoring Section. Lots of legal advice, and a free problem advice service.   www.honestjohn.co.uk

Swarfy.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #789 on: 30.07. 2019 12:06 »
How many other bikes has he/she got to fork out for ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #790 on: 30.07. 2019 13:36 »
..The real clincher is that if you can get some form of restoration for your circumstances without resorting to  police and insurance companies, so much the better. Once you involve authority it gets expensive and awkward. Any claim you make will follow you like a shadow for years, and in the end the cheapest option may be to just fix the bike yourself and put it down to experience..

I don't know how different insurance is in the UK, but I would be recommending reporting to your own insurance company and the police as soon as possible (if the line of reposnsibilty needs to be established). I had similar happen to my bike in the parking lot of a Harley Davidson dealer. Guy bumped my bike while backing out of his parking spot. I got his insurance info and reported that to my insurer who pursued his insurer.  My insurer actively sought to get me paid based on estimates of tin-work repair and cost of parts that I would install. With apologies to Swarfy, I don't believe that a no-fault damage report will hurt your insureability or increase your rate anywhere near the cost or value of the repair. Maybe it's very different over there.

Richard L.

Offline Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #791 on: 01.08. 2019 12:55 »
All sorted please to say, heard from her insurance accepting full liability early this morning taken so have just taken mudguard off the A7SS ready to go away.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #792 on: 04.08. 2019 18:01 »
Left Sat am to ride to rally in Calstock Cornwall. Crossed over Dartmoor in drizzle but no dampening of spirit. Great time with couple of nice super rockets on show, one of which one best Brit. Was gonna show my bitsa for fun but a mate i rang when i arrived said don't do it until i'd seen the two there. He was right! Beer and fireworks and an early night for me, leaving wifey in the beer tent under protection of others. Up and away for 9 and a lovely ride back over the moor for coffee and teacake at Two Bridges hotel. Boring, but efficient, blast back up motorway arriving home shattered but pleased. Am starting to find confidence on distance runs, maybe the Scottish 500 is a possibility.
 *beer* *bright idea* *countdown* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #793 on: 04.08. 2019 18:54 »
Worked on the A7ss for two days, replaced the sidecar yesterday and rewired all of the gadgets today.   *beer*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Falconer59

• Active
« Reply #794 on: 04.08. 2019 19:08 »
After ride out on SR Friday it developed rocker box leak , so spent this morning stripping cleaning and rebuilding top end, yet to road test to check all ok as had job to to on T150 as well