Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130136 times)

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #900 on: 27.10. 2019 18:24 »
 RD..While you are in the mood, treat the bike to a sump plate with a drain plug. Makes the sump draining process quick and easy. I am glad you didn't give it a good smacking. Seems that now even  non runners and machines with obscure faults are still worth almost as much as a complete runner.

Unfortunately the drain down of oil on standing is par for the course on most machines of this age only used occasionally. Regular daily use back in the day meant that this foible was there, but not often experienced by the average owner, as the bike was probably only left unused for a couple of days at most.

Swarfy.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #901 on: 27.10. 2019 18:40 »
Hi RD,
Forget those auto valves, I have seen failures, and we do not want you to really scrap the A10 *eek*
One of these and wired to the mag cut out is much better, https://www.kingpincomponents.co.uk/oil-taps-and-fittings
I'm sure you could make one ??

A sobering story about "oil" (or lack of)
Attached is a recent photo of an A10 oil tank filter as removed from a bike that seized the plain crank bearing without warning
The filter is blocked with slimy goo but no trace of any more of it was found in the oil tank or engine both of which were otherwise clean inside ??
It looks to me like additives in the oil separated out ???
I do not know what brand of oil was in there ???

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #902 on: 27.10. 2019 21:26 »
John - re that filter - could it be the bike had run on non-detergent for ages and then someone decided to use a modern high detergent, thus flushing out all the sludge which then ended up in the filter? Have seen engines destroyed by people doing this, which is why I keep banging on about using 'old fashioned' oils in old fashioned engines.

Swarfy - I fitted a sump drain plug to the GF when I rebuilt it. Still a pain, though less so than having to drop the plate and gauze I have to admit. I'd go really nuts with that.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #903 on: 27.10. 2019 23:39 »
Hi RD,
The engine had done less than 4000 miles since I rebuilt it back c2010
on strip down it was clean as a whistle inside
I was told firsthand recently about the pickup filter blocking on a Trihard making it wet sump, the goo described sounds very similar or the same as found in the A10???
The Trihard owner was using a classic straight 40, when he contacted the vendors tech help he was told the oil was not suitable for classic bikes? cars only  *????*
Unfortunately I am unable find out what oil was put in the A10

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #904 on: 28.10. 2019 00:54 »
I have not been to the pub [ poorly sick & rate fed up *cry* ] RD fella after all your troubles with the oil system and having rebuilt the engine yourself? without being cheeky I would have made sure the ball and spring in the crankcase was not going to give problems by way of letting that much oil pass in such a short time. when I did mine I put the ball bearing in without the spring and left oil in there over night to check for any seepage . the only thing I could suggest to stop this problem doing your head in and making you dislike the bike is one of the valves as mentioned that doesn't allow to start the bike when it is closed, or srm oil pump and hope santa is nice to you regarding this item *dribble*

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #905 on: 28.10. 2019 00:58 »
Which brand of oil was the Trihard owner using please John?
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #906 on: 28.10. 2019 11:17 »
Hi Metalflake,
I was told it came from the big chainstore that sells everything from bicycles to go faster stripes

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #907 on: 28.10. 2019 12:39 »
Rolled out to a Guzzi camping weekend at a pub on the river bank pretty much opposite Tewksbury on the other side of the Severn. I was on Blue – my T3. Well it was a wet weekend and by Sunday morning we were pretty much on an island. Whilst the attractions of being trapped in a pub for the duration were manifold, I ultimately rode down the now substantially flooded road at a depth I don’t think I’ve ever taken a road bike through before. Bike pulled me through OK.

That now goes on SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice) until next spring. With winter now in the air my activities will be restricted to an occasional commute and possibly a few more off road oriented jaunts.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #908 on: 28.10. 2019 12:43 »
Rolled out to a Guzzi camping weekend at a pub on the river bank pretty much opposite Tewksbury on the other side of the Severn. I was on Blue – my T3. Well it was a wet weekend and by Sunday morning we were pretty much on an island. Whilst the attractions of being trapped in a pub for the duration were manifold, I ultimately rode down the now substantially flooded road at a depth I don’t think I’ve ever taken a road bike through before. Bike pulled me through OK.
Tewksbury is famous for flooding. It's where the Severn and Avon rivers join. The area around is flat, so has likely been a flood plain for millennia.

https://tinyurl.com/y5gqzl8n
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #909 on: 28.10. 2019 16:32 »
Further to my previous post about the petrol leak I ordered some 1/4 BSP dowty seals they arrived last Friday but what was delivered was not 1/4 BSP but the metric equivalent which has a slightly larger ID. and I believe to slack a fit over the petrol tap threads. Rather than go to the hassle of sending them back they only cost £3 so have ordered a new set from a different dealer they have arrived today and are a perfect fit. I will tell the first dealer of the mistake and see what the reply is.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #910 on: 03.11. 2019 22:58 »
Managed a speedy trip into Wales and return via the Wye valley. Great 80 mile round trip with 2 coffee stops and only one roadside stop to relieve bladder. River Wye looks ready to burst, wish we could send the rain to parts of the world in more need. Bike running well enough to ignore the various oil pressure leaks until darker colder times. Am following the oil everywhere post with great interest. Thing is i love riding the thing and my general incompetence usually means any tool work involves many more hours on my knees than yous lot!
Upon my over stimulated return to the roost i began to try to fit some panniers. This went unusually well and am nearly done. Started on them yesterday and hit the drilling of stainless bar wall. Was able to cut to length and file but could i drill a bolt hole, could i b......s. Am chasing a friend to use a bench/pillar drill for the task. Was pushing for 30 mins approx, just made a mess and gave up defeated. i know i'm a numpty but it seems odd to cut with hacksaw and file with relative ease then fail to drill. Does stainless work harden or am i just flogging a blunt drill bit?  *beer* *bright idea*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #911 on: 03.11. 2019 23:57 »
work hardens  jim cutting and filing is cool compared to a drill wizzing round you will need plenty coolant on your mates pillar drill. I tried to be clever and zap some holes through a bit of 3mm stainless plate without coolant and it took 5 seconds to fry the drill and harden the steel to the point I had to use several small drills just to get a hole through it and then start going up in sizes to get a 5/16th hole where I wanted it. lesson learned I always have cutting fluid next to the drill now

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #912 on: 04.11. 2019 06:57 »
When drilling stainless, keep the revs down. Most electric hand drills are way to fast. A cordless drill is usually the best bet. And use only HSS drill bits - carbon steel ones have no chance. Plenty of lubricant as others have said, because if you try to push a blunt or unlubricated dril in stainless, it will work harden the material and then you'll need a carbide or diamond drill.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #913 on: 04.11. 2019 07:45 »
Jim, a cheap set of Cobalt Steel drills are worth a go. These need lubricant but keep their edge better than standard HSS. As RD and bergs mention, keeping cool and slow is the trick. As a matter of course I always start with the smallest drill in the set as a pilot, and work up in size, you've got a set, use all the sizes. I struggled for years drilling bigger holes in one, then was put right by someone who knew about materials and work hardening, a concept I never knew existed back then.

Carbon Steel are only good for wood, plastic and soft materials. I suppose they fill a market, but are practically useless for any serious work.

Swarfy.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #914 on: 04.11. 2019 10:48 »
SORNed Blue my T3. Wiped it all down with an oily rag and pulled the battery for occasional bench charging over winter. Checked the ‘new’ 60s type American hard pannier cases for a fit – it won’t be easy. Job for another day, maybe.

Put Jug my Loop frame up on the table and swapped the dual seat back to the sprung single. Refitted the rear crash bars, and made some spacers up for those to make the whole fitting process easier for next time (?).

New 12v horn ordered from ebay had failed to arrive. Took the one off Blue and fitted it to the SP. Took the SP for MOT immediately after the rugby disaster. So Surley Steve the tester was not in the best frame of mind. Got an advisory on the warped front drum. I have another wheel to fit – cut the old cracked tyre off that and then found the rim tape rotted and in pieces. Ordered a new rim tape, tube and wheel bearings so this is now a job for another day. That is the last MOT and tax I’ll be buying for the SP (Suzuki SP370), as it was registered in 1979 and so will be exempt under the 40 year rule once I have swapped the V5 to Historic status.

Winter riding will likely be restricted to the SP and Jug, and only on salt free days – I have no need to ride if I don’t wish. My commute at this time of year shifts from m/cycling over to the main line train station to pedalling to the nearer single track branch line (a service which is much less reliable unfortunately). The A10 is all oiled up and under wraps and unlikely to come out again this side of March at the earliest.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza