Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130193 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #915 on: 04.11. 2019 11:59 »
Fitted a light unit to the sidecar that I made from an old BSA rear numberplate mount.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #916 on: 01.02. 2020 18:36 »
Managed to find time to fit a reconditioned dynamo today. Hooray for charging that works, it's been a long time. Big shout out at this stage to Beezermac. Not only did he respond to my cry for help. He made time to offer advice on the telephone. Thank you Andrew for that. Don't read the next bit Andrew. Having been supplied with 6v battery and regulator, i sadly did not have the small spade connectors needed to wire up the new battery. Being keen to get going i fitted dynamo with original 12v battery and dvr2 regulator *red*. This is contrary to good advice. The dynamo is charging well at mo so will see how it goes set up like this for a while.
On a lighter note the crack on the head is bleeding nicely and really needs sorting. Replacement head is at blasters and painters (thank you BlackSheep). Look forward to getting that fitted and reducing the oily mess! May well take it to classic bike show tomorrow anyway! *countdown* *bright idea* *pull hair out* *beer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #917 on: 01.02. 2020 19:45 »
after a long sesh at the pubs yesterday I wasn't very good until 3pm so then I got stuck in and made a rubberised cork gasket for the primary. then after wondering around like a headless chicken put the gearbox and primary oil in, everything is now ready to rock and roll with the 4 spring and rrt2, can't wait to try out the back brake after having it a bit stressed for 40 odd years. the torque arm is now sat as it should be *yeah*. I made a better fitting side stand bolt in the lathe and am pleased with the result, checked the points etc and had a good look at the tyres - more expense,- in the next few days I might! give her some autosol ---- not a job I've ever been keen about. the plus side is having betsy in the kitchen with a nice cosy fire burning, spring is round the corner I hope  *whistle*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #918 on: 02.02. 2020 06:14 »
G'day fellas.
Today I had my first ride since the fire. A short ride on the 51 A7 up to Bomaderry for a club meeting then down to Sussex Inlet for lunch.
TimK rode his A10 to the meeting on it's maiden voyage and joined the club. Really nice to meet a forum member in the flesh.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #919 on: 02.02. 2020 15:56 »
Rebuilt the primary side on my swinging arm A7 have fitted a modified sliding plate of my own design to take an oil seal instead of the reverse scroll arrangement refilled the piimary with oil started it up and there is something catching inside the primary so left everything in disgust and came back into the house. Wife can read me like a book, so what is wrong now she asks and when I try tpo explain she listens and then comes out with her stock reply why do you have to keep messing about  leave well alone. Will have a look later on in the week to see what the problem is, more messing about. I enjoy messing about what else is there to do when you are approaching 78.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #920 on: 02.02. 2020 17:41 »
the scraping noise I heard when I changed a box last year was the scroll part out of line up and down wise catching in the brass bit on the sliding plate, it did my head in until I slacked off the two bolts and the inner case dropped down a bit, don't know about yours if you have a different seal *conf2* try the two bolts  and see if the inner moves a bit

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #921 on: 02.02. 2020 17:58 »
Depressing day today.
Had my son around to start the project for me, as my hip ain’t great and this bike needs a mighty kick to get her over. After several attempts with only the occasional pop from the rear cylinder we discovered the carbs had flooded. I have 34mm Mikunis on this bike, which I bought because they were way more compact than Mk2 Amals and relatively cheap (£400 the pair with cable choke). All my bikes have Amal carbs (except the Weslake with a Dellorto) and they must be the most trouble-free and easy to tune carburettors ever made (I mean starting from scratch on an unknown engine as opposed to a ‘tune up’). If only you could say the same for Mikunis. But at the time I didn’t fancy splashing out too much before even knowing if the engine was a runner.
I was aware before I started that they are a nightmare to tune because of their crazy assortment of jets, but foolishly hoped I’d at least get somewhere close. Well, I haven’t even got that far because I’ve now discovered they won’t tolerate ANY downdraft / updraft angle without flooding. Great. My carbs are mounted athwartships, so even leaving the bike on its sidestand means the carbs flood. In contrast, the Dellorto on my Weslake is mounted at 45* downdraft with no issue.
Another hassle with Mikunis is getting to the float valve. On the project, that’s the best part of an hour per carb because removing the pin holding the valve flap requires the carb on the bench and a special tool to support the legs holding that pin. Try and drive it out without and you’ll likely break the pillars supporting it, and that means a new carb body. And getting a carb off on the project means dismantling the twistgrip and pulling cables out etc.
So am well peed off. Was intending putting the bike on the lift next week to start designing the exhaust, but now I’m going backwards. A brand new set of carburettors are about to go in the bin and I’ll need to fork out another £400 plus for some decent ones. No doubt that’ll mean making new throttle and choke cables - and the latter were a real pain. I’ve been pressing on with this bike for around a year now, realising the need to get it finished whilst still physically able to do so, but sometimes I feel like just giving up. I hate Mikunis!

'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #922 on: 03.02. 2020 08:25 »
RD, that is a bummer!  *conf*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #923 on: 07.02. 2020 14:46 »
Strpped the primary down on the A7 to locate the noise, found out it was the back of tthe clutch catching slightly on the modified back plate so machined a few thou off in the lathe put all back together and now no noise. Hope the new modificationon the back plate with an oil seal will cure the slight oil leak out of the back of the primary,time will tell duing the spring and summer.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Nourish

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #924 on: 08.02. 2020 13:13 »
I've been building up a Matchless G5 and this should take priority with my time but I have been practising in making a back plate to put Boyer into a magneto - today I made it. Although I have dis-assembled a back plate from a T140 to put the pick up coils onto this plate I have yet to drill the holes.

Offline Martin

• Moving Up
« Reply #925 on: 08.02. 2020 15:37 »
Just today i spend some time with my clutch. But i was surpriced. Isn't it strange? The gap between.
BSA A10 Plunger 1951, Jawa 250 Sport 1965, Jawa 250 1957, Jawa 350 1956, Jawa 250 1955, Jawa Special 250 1938, CZ 175/501 1959, Jawa Californian 350 II

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #926 on: 08.02. 2020 15:47 »
Just today i spend some time with my clutch. But i was surpriced. Isn't it strange? The gap between.
That gap has worried me also. There is no room for another roller though.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #927 on: 08.02. 2020 15:48 »
All I did with my bike today was squeeze past it to get some tools to adjust the gears on my sons bicycle
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #928 on: 08.02. 2020 17:12 »
There is no room for another roller though.
yep, I've seen that in other applications, rollers have to be free to roll without putting too much pressure on neighbouring rollers, does seem a tad too much but it works so....
Back on topic - no bike work today or much any day at the mo, hospital appointments, dog walking, shopping and fitting out the shed I built in the summer, making racks for storage boxes in this shed ( stuff and more stuff, where does it come from -  remembering my youth - work clothes then a couple of shirts, a jumper, one pair of good trousers, one pair of shoes, BSA gold Flash and bike gear, a Timex watch and a fag lighter, money on payday Friday which gradually evaporated over the next 3 weeks leaving another week with nowt,( we were happy tho -- I think
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Nourish

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #929 on: 08.02. 2020 20:44 »
Bloody hell Bill - you've done all that today and not taken a sh*te?