Author Topic: How the rubber strip is retained on the front of Cowpat style cowls  (Read 989 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
RichardL has asked me for details of the retaining method for the rubber that goes between the headlamp shell and the front edge of the cowl, (on cowpat style cowls).

I've taken some photos and I post them here because other folks may need to see them.

The rubber strip has a stepped edge that engages with the cowl edge and a bull-nose edge that is slid through the retaining parts; they appear to have been spot welded to the inside of the cowl.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
COOL, just quick one, what's the best way to get the speedo in to that cowl, mate.
Cheers Thomas.
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Neil,

Thanks,. so much. Those pics do say a lot, but I thought I said "no disassembly."  *smile* *good3* What I get from this is to make my clips for a moderate, unsprung, hold on the strip without requiring squishing the bead. Am I correct that there are five clips? Here's a couple of pics of the current state of the sheet metal. Please don't judge me too harshly for the dib-dab look of flux-wire welding, which won't matter at all under the bondo. Anyway, more grinding to come.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
COOL, just quick one, what's the best way to get the speedo in to that cowl, mate.
Cheers Thomas.
Thomas, I'll write it up and put it in its own topic. Keep an eye out for it.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Thanks,. so much. Those pics do say a lot, but I thought I said "no disassembly."  *smile* *good3*
My memory is not trustworthy. I needed to have a fresh look.
What I get from this is to make my clips for a moderate, unsprung, hold on the strip without requiring squishing the bead.
Indeed. They are not really clips; more like retainers; they don't exert any real pressure on the rubber, just hold it in place. Have you obtained the correct profiled rubber strip?
Am I correct that there are five clips?
Yes, five. I see you still have one on your cowl.
Here's a couple of pics of the current state of the sheet metal. Please don't judge me too harshly for the dib-dab look of flux-wire welding, which won't matter at all under the bondo. Anyway, more grinding to come.
Richard L.
It'll all be alright on the night!  *smile*

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
I thought there might be some interest in seeing the metal that got replaced. The strip at the edge replaces the rusted area and the square replaces the area where I blew through holes too big to weld up. I guess this would have been better with real MIG and argon gas shield, but I assume I'd start out bad at that, too.

GB,

I have yet to acquire any of the rubber bits yet. Thinking Draganfly might be the source. Comments?

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Yes, five. I see you still have one on your cowl.

Yep, but I didn't know if it had been distorted, so I was double-checking with you before replicating it as it is. It's a bit tricky to make the tight bends with a radius on such a small piece, and with only a bench vise and a few basic body dollies and hammers.

Richard L.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
 Richard.. Before you get the bondo out, assemble the forks, cowl and headlamp shell. The yokes must lie in the same plane, in other words the stanchions must be parallel. If the yokes are not lined up, the cowl will be raised up at one side and the gap around the top of the headlamp will not be even. With everything as it will be finally positioned, now do your perfection panel work, then proceed to the final finish.

Years ago I bought a genuine cowl from C&D Autos when they were still in  Birmingham. It was uneven around the top of the shell, so I took it back, got another, exactly the same. It was fine until the wheel was centred with the bars, then the uneven gap appeared. Turned out I had a bent fork leg, lining up the wheel moved the yokes out of plane, hence the gap. The rubber strip was unavailable then so I made a fake one with a piece of P section door draught excluder. Snag was it was only available in white.

The speedo sits in a big moulded rubber grommet, fit to the cowl first, then insert the speedp and work the internal lips of the grommet over the speedo bezel to secure  it in place. Soap or washing up liquid helps lubricate the rubber.

Swarfy

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Swarfy,

That's good advice, even if it does put a damper on the joy of Bondo.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Let's try and stay on topic.

Richard what about making the clips from copper or brass. Easier to make and they could be soft soldered to the cowl.

I cannot remember where I bought the rubber strip, probably Draganfly. Better see if it's available before you commit to recreating the original clips; you may need to modify the design.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Let's try and stay on topic.

Richard what about making the clips from copper or brass. Easier to make and they could be soft soldered to the cowl.

I cannot remember where I bought the rubber strip, probably Draganfly. Better see if it's available before you commit to recreating the original clips; you may need to modify the design.

I think I'll be OK with the steel and I think waiting to have the strip is a good idea.

Richard L.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Peter's classic bike parts has them. (67-5087)
They are good quality and good fit, I can confirm.
https://pcb.shopfactory.com/contents/en-us/d101.html
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Finally got around to replacing the missing rubber retaining clips on my cowpat cowl. Of course, the clips were formed from scrap in the garage and my brazing is the usual ugly, but I think it should work. I know they're not evenly spaced on the arc, but that was what was implied by the left-over broken clips. I'm a bit concerned abought the center clip possibly inhibiting the headlamp from aiming upright enough. Any comment in that regard, uhhh, GB or anyone?

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Finally got around to replacing the missing rubber retaining clips on my cowpat cowl. Of course, the clips were formed from scrap in the garage and my brazing is the usual ugly, but I think it should work. I know they're not evenly spaced on the arc, but that was what was implied by the left-over broken clips.

Good job.
Just to mention, you can soft solder steel and that be would plenty strong enough for that job. Soldering would have been cooler and safer than brazing.

I'm a bit concerned abought the center clip possibly inhibiting the headlamp from aiming upright enough. Any comment in that regard, uhhh, GB or anyone?
I have a feeling that there is no central retainer on mine. I'll have another look at the pictures of my cowl.
I'll check my bike tomorrow to give you a better answer.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Thanks, GB. Nothing to damage on the other side. No paint or bondo, just a lot of welded and brazed patchwork. I'm anxious to spread the bondo on it, but decided I'd better test fit the rubber that's still on its way.

Richard L.