Author Topic: Side stand lug broke!  (Read 2344 times)

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Side stand lug broke!
« Reply #15 on: 16.07. 2019 07:54 »
Hi Peter,
I will be pleased if i can still swing my leg over at 81!
Richard

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #16 on: 16.07. 2019 08:16 »
Surely the logical position is to stand astride the bike, in which case only the right foot is possible (assuming you're facing the right way). Standing beside the bike to start (with either left or right foot) worries me insomuch as the bike could easily fall away from you and you wouldn't be in a position to stop it. I never use the centre stand (too damned hard) but sometimes leave the side stand down (but not touching the ground) when kick-starting.

Actually when you think about it it is not.
Standing next to the bike, it has 2 wheels on the ground and you have one leg on the ground.
But you are kicking with the leg BETWEEN the bike & your leg on the ground.
Depressing the kick start pedal will stand to make the bike fall to the right where you are bracing it.

Standing astride you are doing the same thing but you are unbalanced because if the bike tends to fall to the right, there is noting to stop it.
And we have all seen some one trying to kick astride the bike and have the bike fall over to the right on top of them.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 16.07. 2019 08:36 »
With it on the main stand it can't fall over - so no worries there.
Also I'm right handed and my G/Flash always needs a little twist of the throttle to start. I don't know how I could control that properly with my left hand if kicking with my left foot and with the right it would mean twisting my body also. With bike secure on main stand, right foot to kick, right hand controlling throttle comes natural to me.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 16.07. 2019 20:07 »
BSA-54 – I have to say your logic escapes me.
“Standing astride you are doing the same thing but you are unbalanced because if the bike tends to fall to the right, there is noting to stop it. And we have all seen some one trying to kick astride the bike and have the bike fall over to the right on top of them.”
Nothing stopping the bike fallig to the right? What about your right leg? It’s only on the kickstart for a second or two. And we’ve all seen ….. well, in 60 yrs of motorcycling the next time for me will be the first…..
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 16.07. 2019 22:12 »
I never try and start any bike on a stand as to me it's mechanical punishment for the old girl.
Two wheels and a left foot (occasionally right) is sufficient for me.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 16.07. 2019 23:26 »
My bike had recieved some very traumatizing attention in the side stand department so I was forced to carve a perch from billet steel. The really tricky bit was putting it in the right place and ensuring the leg when extended was far enough forward not to simply roll off the stand (I did discover this the hard way). Quite a techicnical bit of kit for a propping stick. I've got it right now but first choice is always the main stand unless ground conditions prohibit it.
NZ

ironhead

« Reply #21 on: 16.07. 2019 23:51 »
In 1974 I managed to rip my right foot off.
Won't do that again cause it hurt real bad.
So ever since I learned to walk again it was left foot kicking standing next to the bike.
They say every cloud has a silver lining and this one was it is substantially easier to stand next to your bike and kick with your left foot than it is to use the right
This is regardless of weather you are cross legged standing next to the bike or leaping from a low earth orbit onto the starter pedal with the bike on either one of the stands.
Took a few months to get over the awkward feeling but by 1980 It was second nature.
Using the left foot also gives a lot more control over how far you kick so no more short flights over the bars for me.
No popped knees it is fantastic.
Even better still, because you are now kicking as disposed from leaping from a great height, you no longer need to hold the bars so you don't open the throttle as your body arches down.
Thus the B50 which was always a 20 minute start job suddenly fired first kick.
SWMBO that tops the scales at 50kg wringing wet wearing 4 heavy jackets suddenly found she could start all of the bikes easily ( not such a smart move on my behalf ) and I have trained dozens of light weight women to kick left footed to start their bikes, it is really easier .   

Makes perfect sense to me ( except in reverse) In the 80's I sold & raced Husky's & KTM's, they were all left hand kickers, so stood next to the bike ( left) & started using my right foot. Some Enduro's were pretty tough
but never had the bike fall over from trying to start. Fell over by heaps of other causes though *eek*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 17.07. 2019 04:51 »
 The stock prop stand for my Gutzzi is a prick of a thing that flicks up as soon as the weight is off it (sometimes ok but generally not), so I ditched it and made up a kind of a copy of a Cali type one- is a long term project that started before I went to Mullbin in'99...does the job though. Bottom line is I can start it real easy standing either side, but kicking it is a total bitch act *whistle*- that's when I fall over *eek*- but after a couple of weeks in the oh-so-Big-Smoke (Mullbin), I learned it's much easier to bump start it when I realised doing lots of short trips Star-Trekkin' around town doesn't allow it to recharge properly, especially running a 90/100W QH headlight

Bezza is a piece of *** though but only start it on a (prop)stand when doing maintenance *conf2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #23 on: 17.07. 2019 09:15 »
BSA-54 – I have to say your logic escapes me.
“Standing astride you are doing the same thing but you are unbalanced because if the bike tends to fall to the right, there is noting to stop it. And we have all seen some one trying to kick astride the bike and have the bike fall over to the right on top of them.”
Nothing stopping the bike fallig to the right? What about your right leg? It’s only on the kickstart for a second or two. And we’ve all seen ….. well, in 60 yrs of motorcycling the next time for me will be the first…..

hat depends upon how fast you can get your foot off the starter pedal and on to the ground.
It also depends upon the tilt angles
I do see people lean the bike to the left when say starting a stalled bike at the traffic lights but if the bike was fully vertical, by the time you get your leg, not only on the ground but far enough away to brace the bike you are on the ground.
If I have seen this once I have seen it happen 100 times.
The other biggie is when you feel the bike falling you slip the foot off the pedal and then the bike kicks back.

It goes back to that arguement about which side to put a walking stick.
On the injured side and put all your weight on it as you walk or on the good side so your bad foot is taking a very small amount of weight.
Next time you hurt you foot, give it a try.

and aas for holding the bike cross handed, no need, right hand where it normally goes and left hand the same , unless you have short arms in which case you turn the bars to the left and put your left hand on the saddle.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #24 on: 17.07. 2019 10:25 »
G'day fellas.
I almost always use the side stand when kicking a bike over but I put very little weight on it. I'm a little vertically challenged.
I only kick from the right side if it's on the main stand.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 22.07. 2019 08:58 »
Hi Peter, Good to know there's another silly old 81 year old still into BSA's. I start my A10 on the centre stand using my right foot to start her. Then my right foot goes on the foot peg so I can just about get my left leg over the saddle, then left leg on the ground and right foot lifts the gear lever into first, bump my idiot on the seat as I let the clutch out to get her off the stand and away we go. Go for a ride and when I get home go for a lie own for a couple of days to recover. Nothing like an 81 year old going on 18 eh? Cheers. Gerry

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 22.07. 2019 09:56 »
I let the clutch out to get her off the stand and away we go.
I understand why you do this Gerry but I do not recommend riding off the centre stand like that. If the stand doesn't break, the pivots will rapidly wear.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 22.07. 2019 12:26 »
I've got this picture in my head of an octogenarian giving the bike a massive fistfull as he wheelies off the centre stand and emerges at speed from his garage. Wouldn't recommend it myself.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #28 on: 22.07. 2019 16:55 »
Well I am 77 now so am far too cautious to even try something like that. I think how you start your bike is a personal thing whatever makes you feel safe. My proceedure now which I have only adopted this year is back the bike out of the garage onto the drive put the bike on the center stand start the bike then flick out the side stand, take the bike off the center stand then lean the bike on the side stand whilst mounting the bike then lift vertical and drive away. when stopping before I get off the bike I lean it over onto the side stand then dismount then I put the bike on the center stand. This proceedure is what I find easiest and safest for me.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 23.07. 2019 00:52 »
Hi Guys, Actually I think I got that a bit wrong....After starting the bike and have selected first gear I have both feet on the ground and push forward on the bars and rest my backside on the seat to give purchase to the rear wheel which helps to get her off the stand although can still be difficult especially if on a slight camber of the road. On occasion have had assistance when seen to struggle. I think I might try Bikerbob's style and put the side stand down before manually lifting her off the centre stand. OK providing it doesn't stop before getting back on!!! Then I would have to put her back on the centre stand again at great effort. There is no way I can start her without the centre stand, tried it once and the bike fell over on its right side spilling fuel out of the Indian tank filler cap all over the garage floor and then having to strain my back trying to pick it back up. Fortunately didn't do any damage to the bike. (The joys of being old) Cheers Gerry