Author Topic: Electric Starter Motor for A7 & A10 Bikes.  (Read 21679 times)

Offline S.R.McFarlane

• Active
    • START YOUR BSA ELECTRIC STARTERS FOR A10 & A7
Re: Electric Starter Motor for A7 & A10 Bikes.
« Reply #30 on: 26.08. 2009 21:01 »
Hi Alanp,

A few people have been asking about the electric starter with a belt drive, I have a belt drive on one of my A10's and have just had a Tony Hayward drive delivered to my workshop and I was looking at modifying it to suet belt drives also, I think I would just about be able to fit it in, I have already found suitable seals for the bearings. I it will be a few weeks before I will know, there will be slight differences in the gears but the basic design will be the same

Steve   
1970 Rocket 3
1972 thunderbolt
1962 Super rocket
1960 RGS lookalike
DBD34
Hinkley thunderbird
Sprint ST

Richard

« Reply #31 on: 26.08. 2009 22:33 »
Steve
that will do nicely then just stick the spare hayward drive on my A10 at the same time as you stick the starter on
Rich

Offline raymo

• Moving Up
« Reply #32 on: 27.08. 2009 22:51 »
Ramo,
It may sound allot but there is a starter for Gold stars @ £1350, and someone is doing one for the vellocett and that is aprox £1230 (not including battery)
A Vincent one will set you back around £1380 (not including battery)
I have put such an amount of effort in making this possible and can only just manage to do the kit at that price. Most businesses would charge a mark up which would put it in the region of over £1000 for this, so it really is a good price for such an extensive peace of kit (there are around 100 parts that make up the complete kit) it includes a battery which has a retail price of £82
so i mine is over £500 cheeper than any other retro fitted starter!!!!!!!!
Steve
 *smiley4*

Hi Steve,
 no problem with the price mate, well done for sorting it, I know you are not profiteering :-) you will not be retiring to Bermuda soon :-)  guess you will not even cover your hours spent :-)  but for me I would rather spend the money sorting the bike.. perhaps later as a retofit to a running bike may be :-)  well done though

cheers

Raymo
DA10 Sr ( 1961  I think :-) )
B25S Starfire 1969
T500 ( the suzuki 2T Beast ) 1972
XLV 750Rf Honda current ride
ok so only the Honda is working :-)

Offline S.R.McFarlane

• Active
« Reply #33 on: 21.09. 2009 18:42 »
I have been getting quite a few peoples asking me if it will fit with a belt drive fitted, I have received a Tony Haywood belt drive kit and I am going to see if I can alter it to be able to fit.
I was wondering how many peoples have a belt drive and what make it is?

Steve
 *smiley4* ????
1970 Rocket 3
1972 thunderbolt
1962 Super rocket
1960 RGS lookalike
DBD34
Hinkley thunderbird
Sprint ST

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #34 on: 02.10. 2009 22:46 »

Just for curiosity, I would like to know what the age is of the oldest person here, or known by those here (feel free to say "a bloke I know" even if it's you), that can still kick start an A7 or A10.  

Richard L.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/2670673
Ok not a BSA rider, but Gordon is our local legend, still racing hard and 70 and races with his grand daughter.

I can see an electric leg being a useful addition, when I finally replaced my magdyno on my B33... actually having reliable 12v lights was a revelation. Ride them, its what they made them for, not as static museum pieces like a dodo or a dinosaur skeleton.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #35 on: 27.10. 2009 20:48 »
Steve.
I saw your SR at the BSAOC event in Kettering. - Its brilliant well done. Thanks for making it possible for us to keep going with our cherished BSA's as we get older instead of having to change to a more modern bike.

I am one of those people who likes to keep the character and experiences of the 1950's in my motorcycling, but surely this is a very useful mod along with the likes of 12volt lights, oil pressure gauge etc etc.

Its not in anyway ruining a perfectly good BSA by doing all that BS engine tuning you read of in here, - there is a reason to think if you want 100bhp, go and buy an R1
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 28.10. 2009 08:19 »
Steve.
oil pressure gauge etc etc.

A permanently installed Bowden gauge on the end of a tube is a built-in breakdown.

Its not in anyway ruining a perfectly good BSA by doing all that BS engine tuning you read of in here, - there is a reason to think if you want 100bhp, go and buy an R1

Can't say I've noticed much "BS" in the tuning stories.

If you want 100bhp, you can get it on a much smaller and cheaper bike than the 170+bhp R1.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #37 on: 28.10. 2009 11:15 »
I didnt say the stories were BS. Sadly I'm sure they're all true.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 29.10. 2009 19:34 »
I'm keen on modern updates/aids so electric start is a plus for me and as for an oil pressure gauge, well I've bought an A10 which had seized up when its oil failed to return to the tank with its previous owner, so an oil pressure gauge mounted between the clocks will help put my mind at rest as I blat along. As far as it being a breakdown waiting to happen, ok agreed, but it has to be done properly in a correctly engineered way and someone I know with the gauge has not yet had any problem with it, in fact, on two occasions he forgot to open the oil valve (manual anti-sumping) on the oil line down to the engine and spotted it on the gauge before he had moved a few yards.
Regarding a belt drive primary (like on my Goldie) which I want to use to run a dry case, unfortunately with electric start the primary will still have to run with oil to lubricate the electric start gears, but a belt is preferred to a chain anyway, so electric start it is for me.
Hope to hear good news from Steve soon.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 30.01. 2010 11:42 »
Good on ya Steve. Lectric leg. I've got a Super Rocket (work in progress), Velo Clubman, 450 R/T Ducati, and 750 VFR in the garage.
I get to ride the VFR. Why? -I'm the wrong side of 60, back operation recently. I'll never be able to afford Steve's starter, but I reckon go for it!
With various previous restorations I've kept them pretty well original with discreet improvements, but with the SR I wanted to feel as though I could creatively customise with a clear concience!
So I built it from bits. (Mind you it's a hard way to do it).

-Jools

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #40 on: 30.01. 2010 20:33 »
well done steve im all for it and you can hardily tell its fitted to the machine
if i had some extra cash id get one but also id make sure nobody could start it
except me so id put another switch somewhere out of sight or put the starter button
behind the tool box

dave

Offline S.R.McFarlane

• Active
« Reply #41 on: 23.02. 2010 19:10 »
Thank you all for your kind comments. I am working on the electric start to work with the belt drive primary at the moment and I should have it finished in a few weeks. I will update the web site with picture of it fitted to a bog STD primary and also with a belt drive. Ill let you know when I have done it *smile*
1970 Rocket 3
1972 thunderbolt
1962 Super rocket
1960 RGS lookalike
DBD34
Hinkley thunderbird
Sprint ST

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #42 on: 24.02. 2010 21:13 »
that will be interesting i have srm belt drive kit on mine

Offline S.R.McFarlane

• Active
« Reply #43 on: 06.06. 2010 22:06 »
Hi,
I have updated the web site with some new pictures, some more by the end of the week; I will be fitting some of the first batch of

starters later on this week *smile*

I have also worked out a designed for use with a belt drive primary too!!

If there is proves to be enough demand I will make them........

Steve 
1970 Rocket 3
1972 thunderbolt
1962 Super rocket
1960 RGS lookalike
DBD34
Hinkley thunderbird
Sprint ST

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #44 on: 11.08. 2012 11:09 »
Does anyone know if Steve Mcfarlane is still doing the A10 electric starter conversions? I have been trying to get an electric starter fitted to my bike since March. So far I have not had much luck, and he does not answer any emails that I send to him. Today I checked out his website http://www.startyourbsa.com/index.html and a message appears stating that the site is no longer active.

John