Author Topic: Newbie with an A7 SS, powder coat the frame ?  (Read 405 times)

Offline JHG1958

• A's Best Friend
Re: Newbie with an A7 SS, powder coat the frame ?
« Reply #15 on: 28.06. 2020 22:08 »
Just had my frame powder coated at  DES in Furness Vale.  The coating is thick but not too brittle. The guy is a biker and very helpful.  He paints the frame mat black and then applies a gloss varnish.  He grit blasts the parts before painting and gets good adhesion

It cost me 400 quid for the frame and about a dozen bits and pieces. I had to burn out the swinging arm bushes and just fit the new ones today.

I painted my last A10 frame with hammerite. I thought it was a good job at the time but I was living in a remote area with little free cash. 

I remember Trike’. It was banned because it caused liver cancer.  Bloody good stuff if a little deadly

John

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Newbie with an A7 SS, powder coat the frame ?
« Reply #16 on: 29.06. 2020 03:22 »
And for the 10,000th time.
Powder coating is a process not a product
Just the same as spray painting is a process not a product.

There are thousands of powder coating finishes just the same as there are thousands of different paints that can be sprayed.
So threads like this are meaningless unless the actual coatings are mentioned by name.

Some powders produce a finish very much like vitrious enamel ( think bath tubs ) while others are soft enough to be pushed around by your thumbnail .
Some bond so tight to the metal they can never be removed while others peel off if the coating is compromised.
Bike Beesa
Trevor