Author Topic: oil to the top end  (Read 550 times)

Offline Devlin

• A's Good Friend
oil to the top end
« on: 25.05. 2023 15:27 »
1949 A7 LS
Is it possible to get oil upstairs by kicking it over, I finally got it running to my utter surprise  *eek* thanks mostly to all you chaps on here
but its a bit rattley on top and dry, I intend to get the rocker cover off today/tomorrow, I have filled the oil tank and its spewing out at the pump end but as I have little or no knowledge of this engine, what size is the big nut that covers the tappets, and I think the points cover is gubbed as earthing it out via acable to frame  does nothing as I still get sparks  thanks all so far
Devlin   
Isle of Arran 49 A7 LS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: oil to the top end
« Reply #1 on: 25.05. 2023 23:20 »
G'day Devlin.
"I think the points cover is gubbed as earthing it out via acable to frame  does nothing as I still get sparks"
Try earthing it out direct to the mag body. Give us a pic of the cover inside and out.
Don't know a lot about LS's but I'd say you'll be kicking a while to get oil up there.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 26.05. 2023 02:51 »
Hi Devlin
Does the LS take the oil feed for the top end off the return line to the oil tank? If so you can start her up and then put your finger over the return pipe in the oil tank for a few seconds. This will force oil up the rocker feed line and if the top end is still dry when you take the cover off you'll know there's a problem in the oil feed.
Cheers
Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.05. 2023 10:33 »
I was hoping someone who knows about the early bikes would have responded by now. Sticking my neck out, I believe the early engines had no rocker feed pipe and relied on oil mist to lubricate the top end. Obviously that design proved to not be ideal, hence the feed pipe being added on the redesigned engine.

If the top end has been reassembled with oil being used it should be fine until the engine gets hot and starts producing oil mist.

If the engine has been left dry for a long period I'd be taking out the rocker cover caps and squirting oil in before starting it.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
« Reply #4 on: 27.05. 2023 10:04 »
Hi Devlin
Greybeard is correct, the 1st LS A7's had no feed to the rocker boxes but they soon realised this was not a good idea so from engine number XA7-450 they added a feed to the exhaust rocker box and then finally after YA7 3401 to both (Engine numbers taken from Drags web site). Therefore a 1949 LS A7 should have oil feed to both rocker boxes so I would do as TimK suggests and try and force oil to the top by putting finger over return pipe hole in oil tank.
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.05. 2023 21:10 »
    As it turns out the rocker spindles used to supply oil to the rockers on later versions of these early engines were carried over to the re-designed shortstroke motors.

Upgrading an early engine to feed oil to both inlet and exhaust is simply a case of using the later parts. Dimensionally they are the same. Later type is just the same shaft drilled with the oilways.

Removing the rocker feed banjo and pumping oil down the central hole gives the rockers a treat. Still disconnected, running the engine should give an oil feed to both banjo fittings, a bit messy but evidence that oil is getting to the top end.

Swarfy.

Offline Devlin

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 29.05. 2023 13:50 »
The rubber tube is quite perished so I was thinking back to my refigeration days and using 1/4 inch copper throughout the lengths, fridge grade is high temp high pressure and vibration tolerant, thoughts ??, Also this engine may well be getting stripped ,new rings maybe a rebore or honing who knows so Hylomar or Hermetite for the reassembly
Devlin
Isle of Arran 49 A7 LS

Offline fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 29.05. 2023 15:31 »
Oil feed has been updated to feed both rocker shafts on my ‘48 A7 LS and as mentioned I just held a finger over the return outlet in the tank then kicked 6-10 times then the oil made it up top and when running same trick can force a lot of oil up top.
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 29.05. 2023 20:15 »
G'day Devlin.
Why not just use a new piece of hose. Originally it had a copper pipe all the way. Latter models had a short length of rubber hose, presumably for vibration. Both mine have rubber hose nearly the full length.
"Hylomar or Hermetite for the reassembly" Either sparingly, I use Permatex #3 on home made gaskets and Copper spray on head gasket.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7