Author Topic: The road rocket racing sidecar project  (Read 38534 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: The road rocket racing sidecar project
« Reply #60 on: 30.07. 2011 22:53 »
Just thinking something I hadn't mentioned is that I'm quietly moving towards using electroless nickel as a finish on parts on the bike. Have done the engine plates and a number of other parts but will be doing the stanchions and more fittings shortly. Gives a great workmanlike finish without the excess shine of chrome and being an even coating in microns unlike electroplating is a good substitute for silver paint.
Must measure the frame and see if it will fit in the nickel baths they have...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline prewarbsa

• Moving Up
« Reply #61 on: 01.10. 2011 04:51 »
Tim, I must ask what set-up you're using for a front brake? I'm restoring (to race) a Norton Featherbed outfit that has Aus race history back to the 60's. Just currently weighing up the options brake-wise, but a TLS 8" is definitely the way to go. Yours looks super-neat, I just can't pick what it's from?

Cheers, Matt

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: 01.10. 2011 20:54 »
Matt
Thanks for asking, being keen on making this period, I wanted BSA brakes and sourced a pair of 8" half sided front hubs (early A65 finned) , pressed them apart and had a new centre made that they are pressed onto.
So I've got double sided sls, with leading arm which is what you'll see on images of the daytona race BSA's as distinct from the brake lever to the rear as used in road BSA's

Its not suitable for a solo (weight!) but perfect for the chair. will probably ventilate brake plates in due course but no immediate need to tls it.
The blanking plugs have all been taken out and there is air flow between the two sides

I didnt want the later excellent 8" BSA/Triumph type TLS brake from the late 60's as it didnt look period and I wanted to retain an authentic 1955 vibe, given these later half width brakes are almost identical to the goldie hub of the fifties.

The dual brake arrangement fits just!

It may only be a norton but racing sidecar pic's always appreciated.
Tim ;)
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #63 on: 28.11. 2011 07:02 »
Time for an update. Its been a quiet year racewise, My outing at Pukekohe in Feb highlighted valve issues and the the engineer who did the work took over 6 months!  *sad2* but has done a good job  *smiley4*.
In the meantime I bought a new Joe Hunt Magneto, only to find it wouldnt fit without modifying the crank cases  *eek* so have milled the cases to suit and am slotting the mag holes so I have some rotation adjustment available without pulling off the timing gear.
The mags putting out 3.5 amps so should burn that methanol nicely

I've also just outlayed a pile of money for a cam that is purportedly nos and has the engraving (not stamping) 67-358 and a label attched saying Harman & Collins.  Will be interesting to check what its capable of. May look into getting some copies done.
If anyone is interested plse PM me.
Cheers
Tim
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #64 on: 28.11. 2011 09:08 »
 That looks nice RR. They must take some off the base circle to get more lift. Must be careful and check the followers drop far enough to reach it, and the valve gear doesn't bind up. Might need to take a bit off the top of the guides.
 Would be interesting to know the cost of a copy.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: 29.11. 2011 03:17 »
That looks nice RR. They must take some off the base circle to get more lift. Must be careful and check the followers drop far enough to reach it, and the valve gear doesn't bind up. Might need to take a bit off the top of the guides.
 Would be interesting to know the cost of a copy.
Cheers

I'll make some inquiries and let you know. A mate who is also building an A10 outfit has expressed interest and we do want the Birmingham mafia to rule on the track!
May be some economies in a small batch run...
New Zealand

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #66 on: 29.11. 2011 04:23 »
A mate of mine had one of these cams back in the early 60s.
He told me years ago that the base circle was smaller but I can't remember what he did about the pushrods etc.
He reckoned it wasn't much good on the road.

Trev.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: 29.11. 2011 06:01 »
won't be going near the road, except for street circuits!
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #68 on: 27.02. 2012 08:07 »
New photo from Pukekohe festival in February.
the 358 is at a cam shop so it can be replicated as required.
Hope to have the rig down to Taupo for racing late April.
Bike should also feature in one of those bike & rider profiles in classic racer, where they write a paragraph and have a little pic of the bike...

I'm also looking to try and add a road going A10 Road or Super Rocket to the shed this year if all goes to plan...  
 ;)
sadly no footage from the camera (which belongs to my co pilot)
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 29.04. 2012 23:56 »
after fairly underwealming results at Pukekohe, with results mainly towards the rear (although technically a third in pre '63 in one race) of the mixed pre 76 and pre 63 grids. This weekend we went to Taupo (last meeting before the winter break), a much tighter track with hopes that all the corners might offset our capacity and gearbox deficit (fields including a beem, guzzi, 850 commando, maney norton, T140, harley etc -all with bigger engines, most with 5 or 6 speed boxes and most with disk brakes and small wheels).

A great turnout of 14 rigs...cold but a weekend of brilliant racing. By our last race on Sunday I was exhausted and considering just circulating, but we had a blinder of a start and got 4th on track. Still buzzing *yeah*
Bender just flew and I was on cloud 9. Absolute magic.
My co pilot did manage to get some good helmet cam footage of two of the races where we finished mid field, and will try and get this onto you tube (in which case I will add a link).
I'm a happy man *beer*
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #70 on: 30.04. 2012 07:58 »
Great to hear RR. It feels great when it all comes together, and seeing the caliber of the bikes behind you. Well done.
Cheers
PS what would it cost to get a 358 made up?
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #71 on: 30.04. 2012 09:42 »
Well done Rocket Racer
Looking forward to the tube video
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #72 on: 30.04. 2012 22:42 »
Great to hear RR. It feels great when it all comes together, and seeing the caliber of the bikes behind you. Well done.
Cheers
PS what would it cost to get a 358 made up?
Muskrat, the cam grinder sent me this in an email
"at a guess $ 350ish to weld and grind, we would expect trouble with bending of the cam,to do one would be great to get an idea, a simple reprofile would be $ 160+"
the cam has been recorded so they can be made to order. given the radius is smaller, I believe a 357 could be simply reprofile ground.
The money is of course NZ dollars, not proper AU Dollars!
If you're interested pm me and I'll send you the cam grinders details.
Tim
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #73 on: 30.04. 2012 22:47 »
For any kiwi's in the north island, although I wont be able to get there, I have arranged for Bender to go to the SRA "Have a go day" this weekend on Saturday afternoon in Taupo where a fellow big wheeler rider will take out members of the public for a spin!
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #74 on: 02.05. 2012 02:40 »
http://www.marktime.co.nz/results/120429-CMR.HTML

results from taupo is anyone is interested...look in the section headed CSC PCSC (classic sidecar -pre 53 and post classic sidecar -pre76)

was going to upload them but not jpg's ...
New Zealand