Author Topic: Charging indicator LED?  (Read 3909 times)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: Charging indicator LED?
« Reply #15 on: 28.10. 2012 08:39 »
MetalFlake... That's a good idea about using fibre optic cable, I wired my brake indicator light to the switch. I've found that the brake switch is prone to being knocked which then does not allow it to work properly. The panel indicator is very reassuring, how many times have we had to check only to find the brake lever needs lots of pressure to light the bulb up, or the darn thing is already on!
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #16 on: 28.10. 2012 12:00 »
The standad A10 is 6 volts.
Indeed it is, however there is one exception. The speedo and rev counter bulbs are, according the the owners instruction manual 8v 3 amp.

John

Offline KenF

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 28.10. 2012 14:21 »
Crikey! 8 V, 3 A speedo and rev counter bulbs. That's 48 W between them!

But going back to the original question, maybe I've missed the point, but if the ammeter is illuminated, can't one then see how much charge/discharge there is?

Ken.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #18 on: 28.10. 2012 15:36 »
I apologise for the typo, that should have been .3 amp!!!!

John

Offline KenF

• Moving Up
« Reply #19 on: 28.10. 2012 15:41 »
I apologise for the typo, that should have been .3 amp!!!!

Ah, I thought perhaps you'd been looking at a Haynes manual   *conf*

Ken  *smiley4*

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 28.10. 2012 16:11 »

But going back to the original question, maybe I've missed the point, but if the ammeter is illuminated, can't one then see how much charge/discharge there is?

Ken.

I've seen ammeters illuminated by "leaked" light inside the headlamp shell.

I think the point you're missing is Man's desire to put extra bits on his bike.

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #21 on: 28.10. 2012 17:08 »
Back to Neil's original query, here is an idea for such a colour change indicator based on ammeter current (via voltage drop in the small coil resistance).  *idea*
A pattern ammeter showed about 6 mohm resistance. Note this circuit is unproven but based on something I did way back when. The 200k value can be varied to suit 6 or 12 V, and transistor gain.

This could be described as a common base comparator, not too far removed from Electronics 101, but perhaps not that obvious. Big plus is that no extra supply required as for the earlier circuit.

Yes Ken, it's that just because you can thing, but a changing colour glow from the ammeter (assuming used to illuminate the instrument) would add deliciously to the paranoia if your charging system is at all dodgy. Fit electronic ignition for best effect  *smile*.
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 28.10. 2012 19:11 »
Oh Mike
Moto wont be happy with negative earthe either not to mind 12 v conversions  *eek*

*smile* *smile* *smile* *smile*
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #23 on: 28.10. 2012 21:31 »
For anybody interested. I got the fibre optic cable off e-bay, in the model railway parts. Apparently they use them for the headlights on the engines. The bloke I got them from was in Stockport. I finished the job off by getting a small block of aluminium and drilling half way through the thickness of the outer sheath and the rest the thickness of the fibre. Trim the end and polish it (it makes it shine brighter that way) flush. I then glued it to the side of the headstock right where I can see it, and now I know what is going on inside my rear lens at a glance, day or night.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 28.10. 2012 22:27 »
Back to Neil's original query, here is an idea for such a colour change inductor based on ammeter current (via voltage drop in the small coil resistance).  *idea

SNIP

Yes Ken, it's that just because you can thing, but a changing colour glow from the ammeter (assuming used to illuminate the instrument)

Many thanks Mike. That looks doable. I really need a 6v positive earth version though.

Yes, my idea followed on from thinking about how best to illuminate the ammeter.

Neil Ives UK
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 28.10. 2012 23:11 »
Neil, one of my previous posts gives an e-bay listing number that will give you what you want. I put it there for you specifically and they do a six volt version if you read it.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 29.10. 2012 05:58 »
Neil, one of my previous posts gives an e-bay listing number that will give you what you want. I put it there for you specifically and they do a six volt version if you read it.

I had a quick look at that device when you mentioned it and came away thinking it was only for a 12v system and that it was a bit too big for my needs. I see now that there is a small version and that they can do a 6v one. I'll contact them. Thanks for the tip.
Neil
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 29.10. 2012 06:04 »

Ken.

The ammeter in the cowpat style cowl is on the side and not that visible when you are riding. It doesn't have a dedicated bulb. I was pondering how to illuminate it when I thought of using LED's to show the charging state.
Neil
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 29.10. 2012 06:46 »

Ken.

The ammeter in the cowpat style cowl is on the side and not that visible when you are riding. It doesn't have a dedicated bulb. I was pondering how to illuminate it when I thought of using LED's to show the charging state.
Neil

Illuminate it with an LED!

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #29 on: 29.10. 2012 08:44 »
I guess I should know by now not to commence a design without an adequate specification  *doh*

The LED current monitor circuit I posted can be converted for positive earth by changing to suitable NPN transistors (and reversing the diodes naturally enough). As I said the 200k bias resistor can be changed, starting at about 100 k for 6 V operation. This circuit is not available in a convenient guaranteed ready made product.

I set out to come up with a current monitoring device as Neil requested. There are indeed a number of LED voltmeter products on the market, including the Ebay one referred to by Metalflake. A Voltmeter measures voltage (electric pressure), and an Ammeter measures the current that flows (E101 again). These are not at all the same of course. There are pros and cons in monitoring either I or V on a bike, but the ammeter shows the detail at a given moment. An LED version of either would indeed illuminate the ammeter  *ex*
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com