Author Topic: 6 volt or 12 volt  (Read 27493 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: 6 volt or 12 volt
« Reply #90 on: 14.08. 2014 09:15 »
Conversely when I wired mine on 6v I paid particular attention to wire dimensions and joints. Apart from the disparity between the headlamp position and reflector causing the dip to be too low and the high to be up in the sky it’s certainly bright enough. I’d bought relays but have seen no reason to fit them to date. Conversely on the H1 which is of course 12v, despite paying a lot of attention to the connectors when I put the original loom back in whenever someone approaches from the rear at night I find myself riding in my own shadow.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #91 on: 14.08. 2014 14:04 »
A good byproduct of converting to 12 volts is, for the same load you draw half the current. This means half the volt drop due to resistance of cables and connections.  This comes free.

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #92 on: 18.12. 2014 21:50 »
Why not both 6V and 12V!

I haven't seen anybody else using this kind product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301173896517?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have bought one and it seems to work perfectly, so I will keep the 6V battery and use 12V for lighting etc.
Have to "flash" for negative earth since this device is not isolated and have common minus, negative earth makes it easier to use LED bulbs.

An advantage as I have read in this/other threads is that with 6V the dynamo provides charge at lower RPMs compared to 12V.
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #93 on: 18.12. 2014 22:21 »
"An advantage as I have read in this/other threads is that with 6V the dynamo provides charge at lower RPMs compared to 12V."

Are you saying the unit allows the 6V dynamo to charge at lower revs than a 12V dynamo?

Or 6V dynamo will out put more at lower revs compared to a 12V one?

Keith
'59 A10RR + Second engine

beezermacc

« Reply #94 on: 18.12. 2014 23:36 »
A 6v dynamo, in standard trim, is capable of producing 20v quite easily. The dynamo spins slightly quicker than the engine (about 10% quicker if I remember correctly) so, at tickover speed most dynamos deliver somewhere between 6 and 7 volts but, depending on the type of regulator you use, you may need slightly over 7 volts from the dynamo to charge a 6v battery. The faster the dynamo spins the higher the voltage - generally. If you use a standard 6v dynamo with the standard gearing it will not deliver enough voltage to charge a 12v battery until about 2000 or even 2500 r.p.m. You can buy a belt kit so that the dynamo spins faster but, if your dynamo is old and has been the victim of vibration the pegs and bearing housing will be worn, so spinning it at a higher r.p.m. might not be desirable if the armature is not well balanced. However, many people use this set-up and are perfectly happy. Alternatively you can have a dynamo rebuilt with a 12v armature and 12v field coil and the dynamo will produce about 12v at about 1000 r.p.m. i.e no need to fit a belt kit but the dynamo conversion might cost about £160.

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #95 on: 07.07. 2015 13:00 »

I have a rigid 650..the cases are 51...no idea when any of  the rest went out the door...gear box case is 49 and frame 48..
using a 6 volt dynamo  podtronics 12v reg      wassel ignition  10 amphr doorbell battery...and indicators...I have changed all lights to LED  switching any on does not wiggle the ammeter needle...I have a horn from a late model landrover...it buries the needle  but is SO LOUD...  I have fitted a digi voltmeter on my handlebar ..it gives me real time on my dynamo..and when shut off ..battery voltage..i use an LED pilot light in my headlight    normal around town running ..the dynamo keeps the dry cell at 12.7v
the wassel allows dynamic timing with a light  and degree wheel...easily adjustable to 1 degree...
12 volt means easy access to bulbs horns ...and whatevers...I also use a navman when I have to...

I,m getting a magneto rebuilt...as I have some concerns about riding on the dynamo...as I don't think it was ever made for that....once cut out is engagaed..my dynamo is always making 13.8 v I don't know if it il do that continually...

originally...the wassel ign came up on ebay for cheap...and my last maggy rebuild took nearly a year...

if the magneto doesn't work as well as the wassel...I would like to fit a Kubota type alternator on the end of my E3L...like the sportster guys do with their delco generators...

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #96 on: 07.09. 2015 11:48 »
6V with positive earth is good originality, and for a bike used for show and summer fun.

Problems with 6V: Heavy ware on contactors, more difficult to get 6V bulbs and GEL batteries etc.

Low voltage and moisture are not good friends. 

Hard to get proper lighting beam out of Headlamp bulb (Pre Focus) 6 Volt, 30/24 Watt, even with new reflector
You can get 6V LED +VE, but they are still new and in development…. Or 6V halogen bulbs, but they draw a lot of amp.

12V with negative earth is good for an everyday and practical running a bike, you can easily get electric parts and gadgets like GPS, H4 halogen headlights, flashers, relays, LED bulbs etc.

Going the 12V route with the Prince of darkness (Lucas) dynamo is a problematic route.

Fitting a 12V armature, field coil + 12V electronic regulator. There is the issue with the thin wires in the armature.

Stepping up voltage with a 12V regulator on a 6 Volt dynamo is stressing the matter even further.

The more bullet proof way is an 12V Alton generator. That can feed high output main beam all day.

I would love to have a “police” 12V crank shaft fitted generator on my A10. But finding the primary covers etc. for that is like finding “rocking horse manure”    
Besides that, I am sure that the covers are not so pleasant to the eye as the std. primary cover. 

What is best ?
Depending upon the usage of the bike and the money you are willing to spend…

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #97 on: 31.03. 2016 12:28 »
I fitted a 12v Alton alternator in place of the dynamo , problem solved i can now run a standard 65/55 w H4 halogen bulb , i live in the countryside where there are no street light so a decent light is a must, also fitted the srm belt drive for the dynamo, needs a slight mod to make it fit the Alton, works well. next thing to try is the LED conversion, some of my mates in the club say it is brilliant and would not go back to a halogen bulb. 12v bulbs are much easier to get.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #98 on: 31.03. 2016 13:09 »
No comment on the Alton alternator matter. This is about funny jargon and figures-of-speech. I've always appreciated the British use of the term "brilliant" to mean "great," or "wonderful," or "excellent," but would stop short of using it to describe a light bulb unless I was talking about its relative light output. *smile*  ;)

Richard L.

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #99 on: 31.03. 2016 13:34 »
well the LED conversion compared to the halogen is just that, it is a much brighter and whiter light so i think the term brilliant is justified, having ridden a bike at night with one fitted there is no comparison , the LED wins every time and uses less power as well.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, Yamaha sr400 (2014)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #100 on: 31.03. 2016 15:53 »
Ah! Killing two birds with one stone. *smile*

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #101 on: 31.03. 2016 17:54 »
I use an Alton and I would say don't sell the old dynamo.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #102 on: 31.03. 2016 22:55 »

No comment on the Alton alternator matter. This is about funny jargon and figures-of-speech. I've always appreciated the British use of the term "brilliant" to mean "great," or "wonderful," or "excellent," but would stop short of using it to describe a light bulb unless I was talking about its relative light output. *smile*  ;)

I feel you're taking the pi$$ here, however;
  *idea* *idea* I've heard "...brilliant white light" plenty of times and figured it as the definition, so would've thought that other uses of "brilliant" were derived from it
 *smile*

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brilliant
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #103 on: 01.04. 2016 06:46 »
duTch, the simple definition #3 describes you. No pith intended. *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #104 on: 14.06. 2016 10:02 »
I'm on 6v at the moment, Bike back on the road next week so I will see if its ok.

ELLIS