Author Topic: wrong headlight or bad fork shrouds?  (Read 4432 times)

Offline burtonbikebits

• Active
Re: wrong headlight or bad fork shrouds?
« Reply #60 on: 25.05. 2017 16:20 »
I just thought I would check on the forum for any updates on this. I can confirm that our offer of a partial refund of the parts (without receiving anything back) was rejected by Coater87, he requested a 90% refund on the headlamp brackets. We said that this would not happen and that our original offer is our best offer and we have not heard from him since. Again, he has not given us any choice in this and seems determined to cause us menace without giving us any chance to make things right. There is nothing else we can do in this situation I'm afraid.

We will continue to supply our thousands of customers around the world with parts for BSAs and others and receive positive feedback on the overwhelming majority of transactions.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #61 on: 25.05. 2017 20:21 »
G'day BBB.
Thankyou again for your response in this saga.
I think the moral to the story is that customers must check thoroughly the parts they bought and if something is wrong, (before modifying) notify the supplier immediately and give them enough time to investigate.
In the world of pattern parts, sometimes the manufacturer gets it wrong. The retailer is not aware (and can't check every part) and sells it on. The customer finds the part won't fit so the complaint goes back down the line. This takes time.
Last year I bought a kickstart pinion from a local supplier. The ID was way too big to fit the standard bush. I notified the supplier that then sent a bush that did fit, but by then I had made one. The problem will arise when an owner down the track needs to replace that part and finds the new "correct" part won't fit.  *pull hair out*
I hope both sides have learnt something out of this. Lee: possibly patience. BBB: A7 & A10's don't have a spacer for the headlight.
Cheers     
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #62 on: 25.05. 2017 23:04 »
BBB: A7 & A10's don't have a spacer for the headlight.

Just my 2 cents worth, to send back your duff parts from overseas you need to have confidence the supplier will treat your problem fairly, otherwise as Lee said you end up paying another 2 lots of freight for no benefit. Given BBB initial response ref spacers etc I would not have sent the shrouds back either!

The best response from a supplier is to accept photographic "evidence" and send replacements free of charge (without insisting on a return) surely this should have happened in this case.

Often a supplier will find the rest of the stock if that item is duff as well, so that helps make the decision to replace duff parts without seeing them. However as most of us know however, some suppliers will not bin batches of parts they know are duff, and keep supplying the duff batch knowing MOST customers will not complain, well most overseas customers anyway. Examples of that come mind are duff clutch centres, silent blocs, alloy push rods.

When suppliers won't refund freight even when the part is duff, or charge freight on replacement parts, there is usually no point in sending parts back  *problem* but at least you have this forum to let others know about a suppliers mis-deeds *yeah*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #63 on: 25.05. 2017 23:51 »
 Musky,

If the forum feels thats enough refund, it should jump on his donation of 40 pounds.

I guess thats the most Burton Bike Bits is willing to help distant customers when they sell them truly shit parts and offer zero customer service.

You could drop a link to the Pay Pal account here to make it easy for him.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #64 on: 26.05. 2017 11:51 »
G'day Lee.
I can't and don't speak for the Forum, I'm only a moderator that smacks naughty boys LOL. I only voice my opinion, and that's only an opinion.
If you would like to accept Burton Bike Bits offer and ask them to direct it here  http://www.a7a10.net/paypal.htm  it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not privy to the costs but any donation helps keep this GREAT Forum going.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #65 on: 26.05. 2017 12:24 »
As a comment, many years ago, http://www.basmotor.se/eng/ sent me a wrong silencer.

When made aware, they immediately acknowledged and sent the right one, free of charge and no postage. And no need to return the wrong part, to save me postage and trouble.

Needless to say, a happy and returning customer.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #66 on: 26.05. 2017 13:28 »
As a comment, many years ago, http://www.basmotor.se/eng/ sent me a wrong silencer.

When made aware, they immediately acknowledged and sent the right one, free of charge and no postage. And no need to return the wrong part, to save me postage and trouble.

Needless to say, a happy and returning customer.

Exactly, in this case BBB have shown no commercial sense at all. It would have been much easier for BBB to have kept Lee as a repeat customer than find a new customer to replace him.

It's not hard is it? If you supply duff parts then you as the guilty party have to refund the ALL the customers costs, that is the obvious starting point! And the customer offers a compromise (as in this case) please accept the offer graciously. It's a let off.

When BBB reps are manning a stand at an exhibition or spending money on advertising maybe they should think back to how many customers they chose to lose by not providing a full refund for providing duff parts, and maybe if they had acted differently, they would not have to out there spending their time and money on finding new customers........

Of course BBB may have a "business model" where they need to continuously find new customers because they KNOW they will p_ss off all customers eventually by knowingly supplying duff parts and acting unfairly when a customer complains. Fair enough maybe from a business perspective, but you can't expect that sort approach to business to go unnoticed by this forum.

On the basis of what we've seen here, avoid BBB I reckon.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline John k

• Moving Up
« Reply #67 on: 30.05. 2017 18:47 »
I have used a pair of ears from Burton bike bits, the way that the ears are manufactured would end up with end of ears digging into headlight shell if spacers were not used I did however find two spacers in my box of bits that came with the bike,

When headlight installed with spacers the spacers can hardly be seen.

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #68 on: 31.05. 2017 04:04 »
Unfortunately, it is far too common to purchase a part and for it to be either bad quality or doesn't fit at all.

Most of the parts purchased are not fitted to any bike for a number of years, they purchase it on faith, believing it will fit, when the time comes to finally fit, they're only left to discover they don't and it's too late to report anything to the seller. That's why they believe so many are good and refuse to believe they don't fit.

I was going to purchase these shrouds also, only didn't because I have had bad experiences with Wassell and a few other brands out there (MCA is another). Also, thanks to Lee for posting his experiences, letting the BSA community know and sorry you had to go through this.

But reading this thread, BBB was simply avoiding the situation and the way they handled it I know now not to purchase anything from them.

I have been on the hunt for a good condition pair of shrouds for approx 4 years, the last pair I found was on eBay UK, maybe 2 years ago and was out bid last moment. I was lucky to have found a good condition original pair, waited 9 days for it to end, it finished on Saturday and I was the lucky one. The price they went for was high, sure it's worth it and comes to show people are willing to pay.
Only problem is, they're in UK, the seller was not willing to ship to US, had to ship to a trusted family members address in UK and for them to forward it to me in US.

I know I won't be fitting them for a number of years and I know I have a pair that is more than likely going to fit when the time comes to perform final assembly.

Lightning Spares, they were ok, but the last year of trading with them, they were rude and the parts you can tell they cut back on quality.

Barleycorn, my last purchase I requested polished, only to be sent unpolished items, sent an email to inform them and they didn't respond. They could have at least reimbursed my account for the polishing fee for the next purchase.

Don't even want to get started with my problems with draganfly.

CPC Engineering on the other hand, they go out of their way to produce the parts I need, they're of outstanding quality and will continue to use them.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 31.05. 2017 11:58 »
Hi,
Link to CPC BSA page

http://www.cpcengineering.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59&page=1

Hmmm, looks good, some bits in there I could use  *smile*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #70 on: 31.05. 2017 20:56 »
I wrote up CPC on the services page a while ago. Great fellas.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #71 on: 02.06. 2017 11:48 »
 As I have received no further information from Burton Bike Bits,

I sent an E-Mail asking if he could visit this site, and make the 40 pound donation to operating costs.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #72 on: 03.06. 2017 09:16 »
G'day Lee.
I have received a PM from Danny today. I can't publish a PM but he is (but reluctantly due to the bad press received by a few of our members [good by others]) willing to do so. He also states that return postage would have been covered if you had not modified the part, as they do with any returns.
I do feel for you in receiving a dud part (we all have at some time) BUT you could have given BBB a reasonable amount of time to respond BEFORE you complained on the Forum and modified the part!  I don't work 24/7, do you? Neither do they.
I will now graciously accept their donation and put the matter to bed.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7