Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130401 times)

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1080 on: 13.05. 2020 18:43 »
Thanks RDfella, all completed using a dremel cutting disc, junior hacksaw, and good old engineers file, oh, and a bench grinder.  Really enjoyable making them - maybe I'd have been an engineer in another life. 

The bobweights do indeed swivel on the spring anchoring posts.  As revs increase, centrifugal force pushes the bobweights out against the spring and the lever is forced against the top half of the mechanism (not shown) turning it clockwise to full advance.  As revs drop, centrifugal force decreases, the springs pull the bobweights back in so the levers return the advance to normal tickover.

Clear as mud - I think that's right!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1081 on: 13.05. 2020 20:17 »
Think I've got it. I understand the bobweights move out, but a spring located on the hinge point would achieve nothing. Of course, if the end holes of your rather nice new plates are anchored by the top plate, then the springs will tension when the bobweights move out. The missing link!
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1082 on: 16.05. 2020 17:51 »
 Have been getting some miles in now that we have been released. Don't need to have a shopping list, rucksack and new receipt from food shop to justify getting the oil circulated and petrol freshened up. Have done 90 miles last 2 days and that means i can call the new rear tyre scrubbed in. For anyone who has been reading of my recent fun and games with my bike i can let you know here that it is back in favour, big time. The dynamo still whines on start up but that goes away after a while. The old original head is working well and not a drop of oil is getting out of the rocker. The breather still blows a fair bit out but i believe that is due to my riding style.
Today i attempted to cross the border into Wales in search of some of my favourite roads. I was quite rightly stopped and turned around by a couple of friendly motorcycle police. The lockdown there is still in full force, which i kinda new, and i was grateful to be spared a fine. This forced me to ride back in England where the roads are much more potholed and busier with traffic  *pull hair out*. Still had great fun buzzing about on A and B roads with the engine running like a good 'un. The bike is deffo a keeper again, divorce proceedings have been put off for the foreseeable future.  *woo* *wink2* *beer*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

beezermacc

« Reply #1083 on: 16.05. 2020 18:41 »
A couple of projects starting to take shape. I actually made the engine stands today, the bottom ends have been built up over the last couple of weeks.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1084 on: 16.05. 2020 20:16 »
not today but yesterday I had a good run out to get the feel of the rrt2, well things you should do and things you shouldn't springs to mind. having the same first gear as a std there is a largish step to second with a bit of a grumble  getting it in *eek* but from 2nd to 3rd and 4th it is really good, BUT having taken my other recently built box out to fit this box I now have the 3rd gear wine back in my tabs that the other didn't have *roll* after stopping I had trouble starting again with fouling plugs so had the carb off  [mikuni ]  and dropped the needle one notch, not tried it yet raging toothache and whisky mouth wash was more important *good3* [  don't  do pain well me ] any way don't get me started on clutches , the triumph one I fitted is either bedding in and acting up or I need to be doing some investigation as to why I need to adjust it on the cable *problem* but I will find out, as my mate says ---- what else would you be doing, thankyou for listening. over and out, whiskey needed again *bash*

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1085 on: 18.05. 2020 23:44 »
liar liar bums on fire, it isn't same first gear as std it is 17 tooth and 26 tooths, as opposed to 16 and 27. still better than the beast of 19 to 24 for road  use*eek*

Online Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #1086 on: 19.05. 2020 09:30 »
Out for a short bimble (sorry exercise!) on my M23. First ride and first time out since before lockdown and first time I've kicked it with the new hip.

Had drained the sump before run and changed oil but it laid down a dense blue fug for the first half mile! could not see a thing behind me, good job I go straight out onto country lanes! Soon settled and I pottered around happily for a few miles, albeit carefully.

Seemed to be a few car drivers going like stink on the quieter roads.

1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1087 on: 19.05. 2020 09:38 »
I'm due out today or tomorrow.  Steady short journeys at first to see how my strength holds up - probably not wise to do the 200m epics until I'm confident enough to see if I can complete the journey. *eek* *eek*  The biggest challenge is getting out of the house and doing it.  Once I'm on the bike, everything else melts away. *smile*

I did take my two lads on a tour of the Derbyshire Dales last week (95m) in the car.  Was a bit tense to start with, but then settled a bit.  Was shattered afterwards but, given this was the first big outing in months, not surprising. :!

When I was 18, I was indestructable, now I have more uncertainties. *sad2*  Reminds me of a Beatles' song, "When I was young so much younger than today ......................"

Fire those bikes up lads - don't think about it, just do it!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #1088 on: 19.05. 2020 15:17 »
I too went for a little pootle today on the model 7. Absolutely gorgeous day and went to a park with some lakes. A couple of other clubs members turned up so we sat in a circle with our flasks sandwiches and sticky buns and had a chat. Then home via a few more Suffolk villages (yes Sav there do appear to be car drivers going faster then I recall in the little country lanes. The Model 7 behaved impeccably, only 65 miles but hopefully the first of many
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1089 on: 19.05. 2020 15:42 »
Varnishing on the boat today. Yesterday took the M21 (must dream up a name for that bike, M22? M41?) and the A10 for a spin. First runs this year. The A10 kicked back a few times before starting - has done that before, but not very often. The A/R is obviously sticking, but really can't be arzed to take it apart to see. Maybe it'd got stuck with lack of use?
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #1090 on: 19.05. 2020 16:27 »
Bit less glamorous and definitely slower for me than most of you lot today  . . . but I've been out pretty much non-stop on my larger twins for a week and a bit now. So thought I'd have a tootle on my old LE Velo, which I put back into service after a 6 year lay-off for want of anything better to do at the start of the lockdown. Once the bat droppings and stray bits of birds' nests were off it, with the fuel side sorted afresh, sparks side tweaked a bit and an old 6v battery forced into play (reluctantly, but doesn't take much to get 'em going) away she went
On single-track-'n-a 'alf lanes like there are round here, 8bhp isn't too big a problem and 30mph is fine . . . it's when you hit the equivalent of a B road or better that you start getting in other people's way, with a practical cruising speed in the 40s mph - unless there's a hill that is!! Good fun though, even if they're an acquired taste.
Bill

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1091 on: 19.05. 2020 16:34 »
Watch out for those bats Bill *eek* *eek* *pull hair out* *dunno* *dunno*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1092 on: 19.05. 2020 19:26 »
nice to see you people enjoying things *good3*, today I have had a mare of the night variety . I had to set the mikuni carb up a bit after having it in bits the other day. then I set the clutch up to be able to kick the beast up without it slipping, once kicked up it crunched into gear and wouldn't go into neutral so I had to tighten the cable a bit to sort that out. then I set off to a swig swig station I have used a lot about 4 miles from home. i was on reserve and nearly died again when i looked at the cones at the entrance and the empty shop. at this point i thought i better get back home , as i set off the beast started mis firing a lot and conked out on a up hill bit, i layed  the beast over to get the bit of swig from right side to left side and blew in the tank just like i did in the wood bike days. this got me nearer home but i had to slacken the clutch cable to start the beast up. into first gear and the beast went keerlunkkk, so off i go again praying the beast will get me home.  god  didn't  help and the beast konked out about a mile from home on the flat with a good stretch of downhill that me and the beast coasted along merrily. i had to park the beast about a third of a mile from home because i would have had ANOTHER heart attack pushing the beast after i realised the sound i was listening to coasting the beast was tyres with not much of that air stuff *eek*. by now the sweat was ---- well sweaty! i put the steering lock on the beast in a factory entrance and walked home, got in the van with some swig and a funnel and returned to the beast. i got the beast started and klunked into gear and got home. then i walked back to get the van. i sat in the van maybe having a jim day and thought sell the beast. then i calmed down and realised in july it will be 41 years of i love my bike--- i hate my bike. so the next step is take delivery of the new friction plates and start again. ps i will be giving this rrt2 thing about 200 miles once i have a clutch and if i don't get on with it after that it is coming out and my nice quiet lovely box i built last year ---without the whine---- is going back in. oh the joys of brit biking. thankyou for listening *wave* , are the pubs open yet *beer*

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1093 on: 19.05. 2020 20:08 »
It was very warm today. Not a day to be pushing anything!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1094 on: 19.05. 2020 20:15 »
G'day Fellas.
Good to hear you lot are starting to get out and about.
Haven't touched any of my bikes for a month. Too busy going up to Lithgow working on the new (80yo) house in readiness to move in about 6 weeks. As well as too busy working on mates bikes in arvo's after work. 2010 GS500 full carbs and fuel tap rebuild, 2001 CBR600F4i front end refurb and new exhaust, 1985 DR250S full rebuild from bare frame up and tune ups on 1983 XS750, 1982 CB250 and 1981 LTD440.
Remind me not to make so many friends when I move!!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7