Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 147976 times)

Offline Magista

• A's Good Friend
    • www.damianmagista.com
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #2910 on: 30.06. 2023 18:11 »
Swapped out the Western bars for proper bars and installed new throttle control. Waiting for the new throttle cable kit to arrive.

1958 A7 500 "Flash"
1973 Honda CL350

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #2911 on: 30.06. 2023 18:56 »
Reshimmed 3 of the eight valves in the Kwaka *smile*  Interesting experience - I ordered a shim kit that went up in 0.025mm increments thinking that'd give me greater flexibility with setting the gaps.  As it happens, the kit doesn't contain the 'multiples of five' shims, meaning I don't have the .00 and .05mm incremental sizes.  Didn't make too much difference though as I just wanted to increase the gap on the three valves that were on the tighter lower end.  Just to mention .05mm is the entire tolerance range.  Thinking about it, these gaps are tiny.  The inlet tolerance is between 0.08mm-0.13mm, or around a 10th of a mm - that's just mad!  When you get to 100ths and 1000ths of a mm, will it really make much difference when you get the feeler gauges out.  One shim I thought was 3.0mm when measured on my simple digital caliper, but I'd measured it on a slightly more worn part of the jaws (plastic) and it was actually 3.1mm.  Because I thought it was 3.0mm, I dropped the shim down .025mm to 2.975mm, thus creating a 'huge' gap when tested with the feeler gauges.  Ended up putting a 3.075mm shim in which brought it to within tolerance.  I've now ordered a metal micrometer to measure everything more accurately, but these gaps are crazy small.  Bike sounds a bit smoother and ticks over more evenly (even with the carb balancing to do next)

May leave the master cylinder strip down 'til winter as I do have brakes (unless something dramatic happens, of course).

Adjusted the clutch engine side to (hopefully) make gear changes a tad smoother.

Any comments on oiling the foam filters??  Handbook says douse in 10w40 and press out as much excess as possible.  I was thinking of that air filter spray oil - is it really necessary to do it at all?? *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2912 on: 30.06. 2023 20:24 »
G'day Worty.
0.08-0.13mm is common with OHC motors from the Orient. Same as my rHonda, I prefer to set them (16 of the buggers) on the loose side.
Having never done a Kumansukme W800 I watched a youtube video. How easy is that  *ex* I remember the old Z's had the shims under the buckets so the cams had to come out to do the shims. Even on my rHonda is time consuming with the shims on top o the buckets.
As for oiling filters I use the spray on stuff https://penriteoil.com.au/products/foam-filter-oil-aerosol
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2913 on: 01.07. 2023 10:03 »
Cheers Musky

A while back I bought a telescopic, round ended magnet for rescuing things I'd dropped.  Turns out the end to this tool is exactly the same diameter as the shims, so it was a doddle to pull them out and get them in.  Kawasaki made it so easy as you can slide the rocker arms to one side whilst doing this operation.  The only very, very slight issue is you have to move the exhaust arms to one side to give enough room to slide the inlet arms over far enough.  Even if you did drop one, it drops harmlessly into the top of the head and is easily retrievable without having to pull the engine apart.  All are now around the loose end of spec with one a bit tighter on 0.10mm - but that's inlet so runs a bit cooler.

I did replace the seals in the brake caliper, and it seems good-ish (doesn't leak).  I do think the master cylinder needs new seals at some point though.  I have the kit minus the piston, which still should be serviceable, so will do that at some point - I also have long-nosed, angled circlip pliers to get at the deep circlip *eek* *eek*

I'll check out the local store for the spray on oil, I'm sure they have some for around £8.

Cheers all, hopefully going to Wales prior to the marathon trip to Dundee - watch this space.   Weather has been a bit all over the place of late. *wink2*

Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #2914 on: 02.07. 2023 18:01 »
Just back from the Panther rally in Devon. Went as a guest with tthe A10. Great time as ever and the engine ran like a noisy swiss watch. Utterly shattered after lots of miles. Wet on way down on Friday but all gone by the Sat ride out thankfully. Managed to get an air bnb so dodged the camping this year, hoorah. Still couldn't sleep Fri night tho, boo. Managed to get my bottle of brandy back in the raffle! Would have posted a photo but was not generally in a fit state to take one. Will be checking and changing some fluids prior to the Wales BSAOC rally next weekend. Will not be doing that today mind.
 *countdown* *beer* *beer* *good3*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2915 on: 02.07. 2023 18:53 »
Just back from the Panther rally in Devon. Went as a guest with tthe A10. Great time as ever and the engine ran like a noisy swiss watch. Utterly shattered after lots of miles. Wet on way down on Friday but all gone by the Sat ride out thankfully. Managed to get an air bnb so dodged the camping this year, hoorah. Still couldn't sleep Fri night tho, boo. Managed to get my bottle of brandy back in the raffle! Would have posted a photo but was not generally in a fit state to take one. Will be checking and changing some fluids prior to the Wales BSAOC rally next weekend. Will not be doing that today mind.
 *countdown* *beer* *beer* *good3*

Nice one Jim, can be exhausting after a big ride, but ya just keep goin' back for more - addictive!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2916 on: 03.07. 2023 09:11 »
Wales BSAOC rally next weekend.
I might see you there, on the new Beeza 👍
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Catz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2917 on: 03.07. 2023 12:01 »

Whereabouts is this? I'm a member of the BSAOC and been over to the website and still can't find details of the venue.
Crewe, Cheshire, England 1960 A10

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2918 on: 03.07. 2023 14:00 »
Whereabouts is this? I'm a member of the BSAOC and been over to the website and still can't find details of the venue.
I had a look on the BSAOC site this morning. The South West Wales weekend is mentioned but not the location.
I think it is probably advertised in the Star club magazine. The weekend is usually held at the village hall at PORTHYRHYD, postcode SA32 8PJ. There is camping on site. Two pubs are very close.

Streetview: https://maps.app.goo.gl/J3bYetaaMCzpMnWA9

Screen grab:
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2919 on: 03.07. 2023 15:59 »
Decided to service the master cylinder on the Kwaka - what an easy job it turned out to be *smile* (I was dreading it).  Circlip came straight out with the long-nosed pliers, rest of the gubbins just pulled out.  The kit was great and, after a mega clean, I reassembled using brake fluid as a lubricant for the new seals.  Shoved the spring on the end and in it went -  bit of a wiggle to get the circlip back in!!  In actual fact, the brake doesn't seem a great deal different from before, although I do think its firmer despite the usual long travel.  From what I've read, the length of travel to full brakes varies with bike and manufacturer, but I reckon the Kwaka, as a tourer, doesn't need a gnat's wing of travel to lock the front wheel.  Anyhow, I'm pleased it's done and I can forget about it for a while.  I may need new caliper pistons next time around, but the old ones are serviceable for my purposes.  *Bergs* found the tiny 'pin' hole and used a strand of electrical wire to make sure it was clear.

Next job is to get a decent day to get it hot, then do the carb balancing with my newly acquired gauges. Hoping the weather gets a bit more reasonable as it's very unsettled at present.

Finally, for our Aussie friends, my sons have decided to visit Oz in Feb/Mar next year.  They're starting at my sister's in Perth, then to Sydney for week, then to Brisbane and the Gold Coast for a week before coming home (4 weeks in total).  Any tips I can give them will be very gratefully received, i,e, places to avoid, places to visit, anything that'll save them money and/or hassle. *good3*

Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2920 on: 04.07. 2023 00:34 »
Bring yer togs ( *smile* and don't mention cricket).

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2921 on: 04.07. 2023 09:37 »
Bring yer togs ( *smile* and don't mention cricket).

After THAT Test, mentioning cricket anywhere in Oz or Blighty definitely 'isn't cricket' *ex* *ex* *whistle* *wink2*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2922 on: 04.07. 2023 10:04 »
Finally, for our Aussie friends, my sons have decided to visit Oz in Feb/Mar next year. 
Any tips I can give them will be very gratefully received
Warn them about the Drop Bears
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2923 on: 04.07. 2023 10:25 »
Finally, for our Aussie friends, my sons have decided to visit Oz in Feb/Mar next year. 
Any tips I can give them will be very gratefully received
Warn them about the Drop Bears

We got that tip from my sister, the boys will be wearing crash helmets to protect themselves when under trees *wink2* *wink2*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2924 on: 05.07. 2023 19:27 »
G'day Fellas.
I always say "brakes only slow you down".
Well I've been trying to get the front brake of the HD to do a little better. Replaced the original single piston caliper with a Wilwood 4 piston, HEL braided line and a Drag Specialties master cylinder. Also needed a pressure switch for the brake light.
Got it all mounted up. Took her for a short ride. Not impressed! About the same stopping power as the old original single piston.
I think there is a problem with the new 9/6" Drag Specialties master. When I was bleeding the system the lever would travel about 2/3 distance and hit a very stiff spot. If I put more pressure on the lever it would travel to the bars but most of the time wouldn't return! This can't be normal? On the road it hits this "stiff spot and I can't pull the lever any further. I was expecting to be able to lock the wheel, I can on a mates standard 2000 twin cam! Bugga!
I'll throw the old master back on to see if that works.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7