Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129747 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #990 on: 27.03. 2020 19:49 »
well today I remembered a bit of paraffin makes taking a couple of mm off the back indicator brackets on the pillar drill with a burr makes life easier, this was after I thought why is this ally so tough. after that I decided to clean all the files out I borrowed from work 30 years ago. I found Spanish , Swedish, English, and an Australian one I borrowed off a fitter 40 years ago *eek* think it is made by wiltshere ---- someone will know,  the oil filter job is on hold I need silver solder flux for the made up one off brass bits to fasten them in the steel tube. also carried on faffing with the 29 year old van that sometimes doesn't start easily, ps has anyone got any sand brother is off work and is stuck for the workshop build *pull hair out*

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #991 on: 28.03. 2020 06:43 »
Morris. Thanks, gained membership with no problem.

Admin..My earlier post with the research link can be moved over as being  more appropriate on  that board.

Looking back through the earlier posts there made me realise how little we knew then of what was to come.

Swarfy.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #992 on: 29.03. 2020 17:41 »
Hey guys!  I think I've prepped the bike as much as I can during the lockdown.  Any suggestions as to what I can do next.  For example, are there any lube points on the dynamo or maggie that I've missed (or anywhere else that doesn't require major dismantling).  Just one question though, there's quite a lot of travel in the front brake and I'm nearly at the end of the lever threads for cable adjustment.  The brake does tighten up quite a bit when out for a long ride, but just wondered if there was any other form of adjustment I could try.  Not massively essential for now, but I'm looking for stuff to do until the present situation eases.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #993 on: 29.03. 2020 18:21 »
   Dynamo...bearing at  the cover end requires lubrication as appropriate.

Magneto. Standard K2F requires a few drops of light oil into the small hole in the camring, there is a wick in there to lubricate the contact breaker heel.  The contact breaker pivot also likes a drop.

The operating lever on the front brake can often be turned over to give a bit more scope for adjustment. Other dodge is homespun sheet metal pads on the cam end of the shoe, to compensate for thinning and worn linings, but only do this if you can be sure your codge will stay in place.

Swarfy.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #994 on: 29.03. 2020 20:41 »
Cheers Swarfy.  Did know about the wick on the cam ring, but will give attention to the others.  Thanks for the tip about the brake! *work*

Jeez, just wish I could get out - cabin fever already *sad* *sad* *sad* *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #995 on: 30.03. 2020 00:35 »
Cant really do anything as I don't have the parts I need, put an order into SRM but who knows when they will turn up and even if they do there's no one I can get to do the machining for several weeks anyway
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #996 on: 30.03. 2020 09:49 »
Hey guys!  I think I've prepped the bike as much as I can during the lockdown.  Any suggestions as to what I can do next.  For example, are there any lube points on the dynamo or maggie that I've missed (or anywhere else that doesn't require major dismantling).  Just one question though, there's quite a lot of travel in the front brake and I'm nearly at the end of the lever threads for cable adjustment.  The brake does tighten up quite a bit when out for a long ride, but just wondered if there was any other form of adjustment I could try.  Not massively essential for now, but I'm looking for stuff to do until the present situation eases.
You could let the air out of the tyres and pump them up with a bicycle pump. Repeating that five times should occupy most of your day.  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #997 on: 30.03. 2020 09:58 »
Thanks GB, I'm already onto it  *ex* *conf* *conf* *eek* *pull hair out* *beer* *angry*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #998 on: 30.03. 2020 10:14 »
nothing like a bit of fresh air in your tubes *whistle* *bash*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #999 on: 30.03. 2020 14:20 »
Well I've got more bikes needing attention than you could shake a stick at. Still working (from home) for a living, and the garden is demanding a lot of attention. Just hope that the delivery of my raspberry canes comes in without a hitch.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #1000 on: 30.03. 2020 16:22 »
You could let the air out of the tyres and pump them up with a bicycle pump. Repeating that five times should occupy most of your day.  *smile*

But if you put in new air it will not be original any more and you will probably have to notify your insurers  *smile*

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1001 on: 30.03. 2020 17:00 »
But if you put in new air it will not be original any more and you will probably have to notify your insurers  *smile*
Oh my goodness. It also might mean the bike is no longer exempt from the annual MOT test!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1002 on: 02.04. 2020 08:43 »
Bit off as this was last week and yesterday but hey ho.
Last week went to protyre in Bristol,just before lockdown, and had an Avon Roadrider fitted to the rear. The TT100 had squared off badly and had given me some skiddy slips on some roundabouts. Shame as up until squaring was really pleased with the grip. Had also been working hard at keeping it round with lots of meandering riding on acceleration, even on the motorway. The fitting event will live long in my memory, good job i had my toolkit, as always, on the bike. Not able to add to Musky's poll on tyres yet as not getting the miles in due to lockdown.
Yesterday i finally fitted some  baffles into the Goldie silencers. They are the ones you bolt into the end. I needed to deliver some Paracetomol to an elderly client so had an opportunity to try the subdued beast out. The noise is still there but at about 50% reduced. Still plenty to be heard in traffic. I even did not miss my silicon ear plugs which are always normally worn. During the fitting i removed the downpipes and refitted with silicon to seal around the headers, hoping to cure the whine/whistle.
Upon start up was able to hear lots of tappet noise never before heard. The whine was also more apparent. Am confident that this is due to the reduction in exhaust db. So off i sets with tappets and whine aplenty on a slightly longer journey than necessary. Performance seems unaffected, though was unable to really hold any speed for a decent period. Lots less popping from exhausts on engine braking. On my return with the engine at temperature the whine had disappeared, hoorah! The rear tyre had not gone flat,double hoorah! All in all BJ was a happy bunny.
Am concerned the whine is some sort of damage to the rockers during my recent disasters with a replacement head. Thinking that they have been stressed by some seizing valves? Will see if the noise returns on cold start. Anyone got a rockerbox fully assembled and in  excellent condition lying around? I know you may try to reassure me that it's an exhaust leak that seals with heat and i hope it is. It doesn't sound like it though, more whine than whistle with quiet exhaust. Seems at its worst on deceleration.
My wife works for the NHS so please don't lecture me about unnecessary risk, i did need to go out and was careful on the bike.

*good3* *bright idea* *beer* *wave*

Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1003 on: 02.04. 2020 09:44 »
My wife works for the NHS

give her my thanks *wink2*

(I won't get political, but it's difficult not to)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1004 on: 02.04. 2020 10:39 »
jim not today or tomorrow  but I can put you a rocker box together with my stock of bits, if you find that is the problem in the future.