Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129145 times)

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1335 on: 02.08. 2020 09:19 »
The two girls settling into their new home.
looks great musky. but that shed's too clean - get to work!
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1336 on: 02.08. 2020 09:31 »
i finally fitted the new homemade carrier to my b33. quite a PITA to bend up and fit. paint from rattle can so i hope it lasts. intentionally slightly oversized from the one I copied and larger gauge tube. its got extra threaded mounting lugs so I can attach a large box to the bike if wanted.
its a bit of an upgrade for the old nail box i used to have on the back (bottom pic)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1337 on: 02.08. 2020 18:20 »
Here's a photo for all the colonials. It doesn't always rain in Blighty. Nice ride out today into sunny Somerset, bacon bap then off for some cider. I did get a little wet to start with but turned out nice, putting lots of miles on and going well at mo. 6 volt system currently functioning.
 *fight* *beer* *beer* *wave*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1338 on: 02.08. 2020 19:26 »
Takes me back to schooldays and expeditions into Somerset on my C11G and visits to Charlie's at Fishponds.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

beezermacc

« Reply #1339 on: 02.08. 2020 19:33 »
The Cheshire Branch went on a superb run around the Welsh Borders. This video shows us setting off from the Ponderosa Café. We were delayed by a 'guest' Norton Commando that wouldn't start. So that's why they're called 'Notrun' Commando. Mustn't gloat.....! My A10 is the noisy one with the reverse cone silencers (loudencers?)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/641224479315039/permalink/3000482903389173/

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1340 on: 02.08. 2020 19:47 »
I went for a blast up the motorway, I really need to follow my bike one day, those reverse cones sound awesome. called at mates and whipped out the plugs, looking very good. just a couple of hiccups - two spit backs but maybe that was me not altering the manual ignition when I should have  *bash*. betsy is starting and running so much better, first kick apart from when I have ignition a bit advanced and she try's to fling me over the bars *eek*. why did I buy the mikuni *bash* the AMAL holds more in the float bowl and she doesn't hesitate when banked over pulling out of a corner like the mikuni did. so up to now girlfriend is coming for a blast tomorrow and I hope I don't have to tell her to shift her leg and foot rest so I can kick the bike up when it stalls at junctions  as it did previous. happy bunny --- I love my bike again *woo*

Offline MickFarmer64

• Moving Up
« Reply #1341 on: 02.08. 2020 22:58 »
Topped up the gearbox oil

Refitted the petrol tank after removing it the other week to clean it out & fitted a couple of inline filters and new fuel line.  Topped it back up with a little juice and one of the taps for want of a better word ***** out. After draining the tank again, took the plunger out of the tap and the cork is shot  *sad2*. Ordered some new cork and promptly locked the garage up - oh well I didn't want to go out on her in the sunshine anyway. ;)
1959 Super Rocket

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1342 on: 03.08. 2020 09:24 »
Pal called round and picked up his Guzzi V50 I'd had MOT'd, that will be the last one now it is on the 40 year rule. He dropped off his little Serow that I'll be servicing once the table is clear. Put my V50 up on the table and failed to find the missing gears - third, fourth and fifth. And a check showed the neutral light switch does no seem to be contacting within either. Pulled the box out again.

A10 hasn't come out from under it's cover yet since last year.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1343 on: 03.08. 2020 19:43 »
I put the octane booster in and have just got back from mars *whistle* while I was there I found a road side speed checker so gave betsy a few runs to it at different speeds much to the dismay of people walking and using their mobiles  >:D speedo about 5mph fast that will do for me. on the return home I turned the petrol off way before I used to with the mikuni and worked out roughly the amal would go about 4 times the distance of the mikuni on a pipe and carb full. half way back from mars I called at a brit bike buyer and seller and he was impressed with Betsy's oil tight engine. he also set me up with information on the September Mallory park jumble where I hope to sell notrun wheels and other bits to get some beer tokens back in the sky rocket, not betsy my bank account *beer*

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1344 on: 04.08. 2020 19:46 »
Well, have replaced rocker gasket and tested and am pleased to say it's currently oil tight, Yay! The dribble became a bit of a flood with the gasket obviously blown/hanging out. This was in part caused by me burning off some numpty on a fireblade at the lights. Like he stood a chance! The mag was getting covered so had to take the plunge. Isn't refitting the rocker cover a great way to feel rubbish? Even with all the tips on this site there is still an element of chance. Finally hit the road and am v pleased with the result.
 *beer* *countdown* *woo*

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1345 on: 08.08. 2020 17:12 »
Some progress today - makes a change. Have always been unhappy with the oil pressure of the project. Averaging around 30psi. - enough, but only marginally so. Would prefer to see over 40.  Just lately I've been pondering how much the cam feeds lower the pressure (they're fed from the oil pump, not the return line as with BSA) so today I disconnected the cam feeds and started her up. Straight to 80psi. Wow, those cams are well fed!
So a question for you guys. There are several ways I could attack this: 1. fit cam feed banjo bolts with smaller holes - there's currently 2 x 2mm holes in each - or 2. put a restrictor valve in the line somewhere, or 3. run the feed from the return line. Which one would you guys go for?  Given there's very little pressure in the return line, I'd put 3 at the bottom of my list. Remember it's OHC so the cams need more oil than were it OHV. Another consideration is with as much flow as that, the scavenge pump may not return enough to tank and it'll wet sump.
Second job I did was fabricate an oil separator to fit in the breather hose (not that it seems to need one).
Also, a pair of Amals are on order, but I've a worried feeling the front cyl carb won't fit without cutting out part of the side of the petrol tank. I had to cut a fair bit out of the bottom of the tank on the LHS to clear the mikuni top cap - any more and part of the tank side will have to go, and that won't look good. Rear cyl carb might need a chunk taken out of the oil tank as well. Could be a while before I know, though, as the UK postal service seems to have collapsed. Ordered a grip from USA a month ago. Took 5 days to reach Heathrow, and three weeks from there to me.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

ironhead

« Reply #1346 on: 09.08. 2020 07:26 »
What pump are you using?

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1347 on: 09.08. 2020 11:24 »
 RD  Assuming the bottom is happy as things are, the conundrum is balancing the supply so that the cams get a fair share rather than more than they need. Reducing cam supply slightly may be all you need to tip the balance.

Easiest is a restrictive component in the supply line to experiment, and once happy with the result pessurewise, a more permanent alteration to the banjo holes.
   Never been a fan of return side supply for OHC, I reckon if I was a cam working furthest from the pump above the hottest part of the motor I'd need nice cool pressure fed lubricant, not a wet sump coarse filtered cast off.

There's my ten pence worth to kick it off.

Swarfy.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1348 on: 23.08. 2020 15:26 »
Just back from a well good safely organised Panther rally in North Devon. Was lucky to get in as a guest and was made very welcome. Great group ride out over the moor and the weather was windy/wet/sunny but never a problem. Posting this photo to wet you engineer types whistle!
 *beer* *beer* *beer* *good3* *countdown*

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1349 on: 23.08. 2020 15:56 »
That Panther is a beauty, what a piece of engineering. *respect* *respect*  I'd love to have the time, money and know how to even get close to being able to achieve that sort of build.

As for me, life is improving slowly.  The bike has been low on my list of priorities, as you'll all appreciate, but she's there ready to go when my mindset (a bit fragile at present) is such that I can enjoy the open road again. *dunno*

Next in line is laying new vinyl planks to the kitchen floor!!!

Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250