Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130214 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1440 on: 16.09. 2020 08:16 »
When I got home the cap was laying on the drive.

Good result finding that.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1441 on: 16.09. 2020 08:20 »
Had another go at the gear box on the Pearl - my V50 last night. You can get good access to the back of the gear box once the battery and it's support tray are removed. Sorted the non functioning neutral light by sticking some extra alu washers under the switch unit.

Then went looking for the missing first gear. There is an eccentric adjuster on Guzzis that moves the centre position of the return spring. A bit of fooling with that and I could get back down to neutral and first from second OK. A test ride proved all good, though showed up she ain't running so good. Might try some new plugs.   
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1442 on: 16.09. 2020 10:30 »
some time back when i fitted a new monobloc to my plunger b33, i didn't realize that the air filter adapter would no longer fit due to the deeper body of the monobloc compared to the remote float carb (the adapter hits the oil tank).
so my son recently CAD modeled and 3D printed a new adapter, shown below. its printed with PLA so I'm not sure how long it will survive the b backfiring petrol fumes, hence the tie wires as i don't want to lose the K+N filter.
the 3D files are here if you want to make your own:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4597312
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1443 on: 16.09. 2020 11:18 »
3d printing! Blimey, the A7A10 forum has been dragged into the 21st century.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1444 on: 17.09. 2020 09:34 »
yes, we're frighteningly modern with our BSA's down here GB, tho it took my 16 year old son to do the work - well beyond my capabilities.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1445 on: 17.09. 2020 22:19 »
Today became a day off so get the bike going and off to Wales. Due to phonecall had to reduce planned miles and return a bit sharpish. On my way back noticed a sudden and new sound from the engine. Kinda felt like some power (?) loss and less engine braking. After a couple of miles i pulled over to take a look and have a proper listen. Before the obvious comments re stopping sharpish with change in noise, i almost always drive with silicon ear plugs and these can shift when riding. Was reassured to see the head gasket not blowing and then located the source. Had blown out an added baffle to one of the silencers! Giving it too much stick on the climb out of Monmouth me thinks. Hey ho, something else to do.
 *problem* *work* *beer*
Threw in some photos of the cotswold hol and Panther rally
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1446 on: 17.09. 2020 22:19 »
I wouldn't have bothered, Neil. The cap is only there to keep out rain and small children.
Well, it wasn't raining but I might have gone past an infant school.

I was more concerned with keeping muck out of the oil.

You did right GB, there's oil mist in that there tank when it all gets hot, and introducing dust into your oil isn't recommended in any manual I know of!

As for finding your oil cap, didn't your shoes fall off the bike the other year, and you found them on the way back as well?  *smile*  *smile*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1447 on: 17.09. 2020 22:26 »
Today became a day off so get the bike going and off to Wales. Due to phonecall had to reduce planned miles and return a bit sharpish. On my way back noticed a sudden and new sound from the engine. Kinda felt like some power (?) loss and less engine braking. After a couple of miles i pulled over to take a look and have a proper listen. Before the obvious comments re stopping sharpish with change in noise, i almost always drive with silicon ear plugs and these can shift when riding. Was reassured to see the head gasket not blowing and then located the source. Had blown out an added baffle to one of the silencers! Giving it too much stick on the climb out of Monmouth me thinks. Hey ho, something else to do.
 *problem* *work* *beer*

Yes, go even faster and blow the other one out! *smile*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1448 on: 17.09. 2020 23:09 »
As for finding your oil cap, didn't your shoes fall off the bike the other year, and you found them on the way back as well?  *smile*  *smile*
You are right. I'm really glad I bought some lucky heather from that gypsie years ago!  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

ironhead

« Reply #1449 on: 18.09. 2020 00:19 »
 *problem* *work* *beer*

I see a H anD grenade in the left of that picture *eek*

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1450 on: 18.09. 2020 06:49 »
Rode the Atlas-engined 99 over to Loch Lomond to meet up with son who is on a fishing hol. Bike going really well, had to keep it under 80 on the M9. However, it started running on one at low revs when really hot, a pain on uphill starts. Sounds awfully like the condenser is on its way out. *cry* On the plus side, it gave 70 mpg on the trip. *smiley4* No bike picture - it didn't fit in the boat.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1451 on: 27.09. 2020 00:39 »
Not a breath, -beautiful shot.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1452 on: 03.10. 2020 18:06 »
As the sun was out, decided to spray the project's chainguard and toolbox - last parts requiring paint. Needed good weather as unless I'm wearing full head gear, I always paint 2 pack outside. Even then a decent mask is required.
Next job was servicing the vee twin. Been quite a while since last done and thought it was a tad noisier last ride out so time to get stuck in. Just as well, because both exhaust valves had closed up to almost zero clearance. With alloy pushrods and cast barrels that'd be even tighter when hot. Next to check will be mag chain and gearbox oil.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #1453 on: 03.10. 2020 18:28 »
Forgive me RD, but what motor is it? *dunno*  As for me, still getting my head together for a Summer's riding next year. *smile*  Just busy picking up all the OTHER viruses from the kids at school - had a cold on and off since starting back 3 weeks ago. *angry* *angry* *razz*  My youngest son was also sent home from school for two weeks after sitting next to another kid who'd tested positive. *problem* *problem* *bash* *bash*

Anyhow, keeping the bike at peak readiness for the next sniff of decent weather. *good3*  Spending the rainy days perusing Evilbay for decent deals.  Stockpiling BSA spares is a welcome relief from toilet paper, hand sanitiser and soap *ex* *ex* *bright idea* *whistle* *whistle*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #1454 on: 03.10. 2020 19:29 »
I have done absolutely nothing...
When I came home from the BSA International Rally in The Czech Republic in September, I took of the top, cylinder and pistons, due to excessive oil consumption, so I figured a honing and new rings would help. I am in the middle of this job, but Took my new bike, a Honda Revere 650 from 1989 for a spin...but only got about 200 meters away from home... A young kid on  Scooter took a hard left turn without signal or looking back,(and with wifi earphones under his helmet) just as I was about to overtake him (right hand drive) - this did not go well so we booth ended up in hospital, and the Revere is a write off... And my left arm broken in 2 places... but in 4 weeks the cast will come of, and it is BSA time again...
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark