Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130004 times)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1620 on: 19.04. 2021 06:54 »
'Swhat friends are for bergs!
I did similar to a mate's Vincent Rapide a few years ago  . . . said he couldn't turn it over, asked if I'd give it a go 'cos I'm big. I did. And in one smooth lunge snapped the starter quadrant and a whole load of associated bits, all hellish expensive , 'cos the thing had actually seized and wasn't going to go no matter who prodded it!
We stayed mates  . . .
Bill

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1621 on: 19.04. 2021 07:03 »
Finally sorted the dripping petrol tap on the B31. Bought a new tap. One end wrong thread. My mistake. Bought another tap. Drained tank. Fitted tap. Refilled tank. Could I get it to stop leaking. Not a chance. Another £12 wasted. Dug around in my fuel system odds and ends. Found a tap. Drained tank. Fitted it. Refilled tank and no leaks. However, it sticks out at an awkward angle. Stripped the original tap and reseated the taper. Drained tank. Fitted it. Refilled tank - no leaks. Why didn't I do that in the first place?    *red*
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1622 on: 19.04. 2021 08:44 »
Good weekend here weather wise.

Got the wheels with the fancy new tyres back into Hardley the XLH. I guess they'll need scrubbing for a few miles now.
Scrubbed up the SP after last week's off roading foray.
Cleaned up Brown the Kawa H1. Took that out Sunday, down to the garage where we keep Jaws the Jawa outfit. Handed Brown over to my pal and jumped on Jaws and headed over to an informal Guzzi Club branch meeting. Had some fun with Brown when I swapped back for the ride home.

Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1623 on: 19.04. 2021 09:26 »
... now need a part I didn't need. hence the post in wanted for sale *bash*
Buggeration!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1624 on: 19.04. 2021 17:31 »
Bergeration surely?
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1625 on: 20.04. 2021 23:08 »
yippee! *yeah* today i got toys for the yonda and the berger build, two pairs of rear shocks and a new front brake master cylinder for the yonda…[ question coming at the end ]     The good news is my magic welding geezer has mended the kicker lug so today I did some gardening!  after the gardening I fitted it on and then did some more gardening. The question is what is the best brake fluid resistant sealer because if I can stop the reservoir leaking on the old master cylinder where the plastic bit pushes in onto an 0 ring I would like to use that one . it is a 4 screw lid with the Japanese writing and I like it, the new one is only 2 screw lid or I would just put the lid on it. I have tried hylomar but found it failed.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1626 on: 21.04. 2021 16:43 »
Lovely day so took a few hours off. The Enfield hadn't been out since its MoT last June so went for a wander around Southern Scotland. Actually overtook 2 trucks and 2 cars, though one car did pull in to let me past. Took in Dalveen Pass, Loch Doon and the Mennock Pass. Quite a few bikes out. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1627 on: 21.04. 2021 18:30 »
well --weld of lug didn't work, bike snapped it again, are these side stand lugs made of cast steel, the half lug that the stand pivots on.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1628 on: 22.04. 2021 16:07 »
I have a1962 A65 and a 1956 A7 took the A65 out yesterday for a quick run around local country roads did 29 miles took the A7 out today did exactly the same run as I did yesterday on the A65 but acording to the speedo on the A7 I did 33miles, t his is the first time that I have checked milages for the same run on both bikes both speedos are the original speedos that they left the factory with.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1629 on: 22.04. 2021 21:13 »
G'day Fellas.
The last few nights I've been playing with the carbs (2 x 30mm PKW's) on the Cafe as I'm not happy with the jetting. Being 3000ft higher now they needed leaning out a bit. Anyhow pulling the plugs a dozen times I tried my Colortune. It wouldn't go in! Inspection found the helicoils had wound themselves in a couple of threads.
Last night I lifted the head and removed the helicoils and ran the Timesert tap down the holes then put the head in the cleaning tank.
Tonight I'll insert the timeserts. Just wondering which "glue" to use. Loctite is affected by heat so was thinking of JBWeld.
 Any thoughts?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1630 on: 22.04. 2021 21:17 »
Musky - from timesert's website:
TIME-SERT® is self locking. On installation the bottom internal threads of the insert are cold rolled to expand the mating external threads into the base material locking the insert in place. Locking mechanism is at the bottom of insert
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1631 on: 22.04. 2021 21:28 »
At last. Spur gear I ordered for the starter gearbox finally arrived today (about three weeks later than I expected). As I had a couple of hours this afternoon I bored and keywayed the gear and did a dry run to ensure everything fitted - especially as some of the machining was done from catalogue specs. So far so good. With luck may get as far as trying to see if it'll turn the engine over this weekend. Hopefully it won't self-destruct ......
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1632 on: 22.04. 2021 21:36 »
G'day RD.
The kit I have is a cheap Chinese knock off. Think I'll go JB.

Good luck with the starter.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1633 on: 23.04. 2021 16:44 »
...went for a wander around Southern Scotland...

Wow, you have some extreme hills up there!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1634 on: 23.04. 2021 16:47 »
I have a1962 A65 and a 1956 A7 took the A65 out yesterday for a quick run around local country roads did 29 miles took the A7 out today did exactly the same run as I did yesterday on the A65 but acording to the speedo on the A7 I did 33miles, t his is the first time that I have checked milages for the same run on both bikes both speedos are the original speedos that they left the factory with.
If the final drive ratios have been changed, (different sprockets?) the speedo is affected. I had to have my bike's speedo recalibrated when I changed the gearbox sprocket.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK