Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 130424 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1665 on: 19.05. 2021 21:01 »
RD, that is a thing of beauty.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1666 on: 19.05. 2021 22:43 »
Fingers crossed for you RD 🤞
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1667 on: 28.05. 2021 23:50 »
fitted some new carb intake rubbers to the yonda but couldn't do anything else because the carbs have gone away for a coat of looking at , now i am sure you all wanted to know this important major effort i made .  yesterday i decided to have many black&tans while watching the other half do the garden and ended up very very squiffy  and fell asleep in my chair at 9pm. a nice early night was what i needed*beer*.  i decided to get betsy out of the garage today and first kick got her going so helmet on and off we went it did us the world of good. when we got back home she whispered that she is behaving very well because she thinks shes getting dumped for a younger model. i hope we can get out and have some more fun over the weekend. thankyou for listening have a nice day.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1668 on: 29.05. 2021 09:35 »
Know what you mean Bergs. Started out watching the G/kids playing rugby and soccer then tuned 05 GSF 1200 then put tank on cafe. Ran out of light to test ride.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1669 on: 29.05. 2021 19:02 »
I topped up the gearbox and checked the primary case oil level. I washed the bike in readiness for a VMCC club meeting tomorrow.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1670 on: 30.05. 2021 13:30 »
This morning I attended a local VMCC meet-up. There was a really good turnout of bikes including a Vincent Black Prince Knight, (Marmite?). Most machines were post WW2 but there were a few antiques. Sorry, no pictures, forgot to take my Box Brownie.

Update: Someone else took some pictures and put them on FaceAche

The maroon Triumph BTK 175 had a rigid frame and no sprung hub. Would that be pre WW2?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1671 on: 30.05. 2021 17:14 »
Well, after six months roller-coaster of hope / failure today I tried to start the project with its beefed-up starter and sprag clutch replacing the ratchet. Works a treat. Been such a long haul it's actually difficult to feel elated about it. Relieved, certainly.
Now I need to convert the bike to 12v as so far I've been running the bike on its 6v electrics whilst using an external battery for the starter.
Question - I fitted a modern combi switch (lights / horn / indicators) for economy of space reasons. However, I noticed a voltage drop with the lights. Putting it down to 2x normal amperage draw due to using 6v, I fitted relays. When changing to 12v (half the amperage) will I still need relays - ie, do modern bikes have relays for lights? The wiring associated with the switch (about 10 wires) does seem flimsy.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1672 on: 30.05. 2021 17:42 »
Well, after six months roller-coaster of hope / failure today I tried to start the project with its beefed-up starter and sprag clutch replacing the ratchet. Works a treat. Been such a long haul it's actually difficult to feel elated about it. Relieved, certainly.
Now I need to convert the bike to 12v as so far I've been running the bike on its 6v electrics whilst using an extrrnal battery for the starter.
Question - I fitted a modern combi switch (lights / horn / indicators) for economy of space reasons. However, I noticed a voltage drop with the lights. Putting it down to 2x normal amperage draw due to using 6v, I fitted relays. When changing to 12v (half the amperage) will I still need relays - ie, do modern bikes have relays for lights? The wiring associated with the switch (about 10 wires) does seem flimsy.

I'm sure an electrickery Wizard will give you a definitive answer but I think doubling the voltage halves the current draw, (in theory).

I'm sure we are all flippin happy that you have got your electric leg working.  *smile* *smile* *smile* Not as happy as you, natch!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #1673 on: 30.05. 2021 22:14 »
Nice one RD! You've been swimming up hill with that project for a while, here's hoping you get it how you want it soon. Can't wait to see or hear the beastie! *beer* *good3* *dribble*
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #1674 on: 30.05. 2021 23:43 »
great to hear of the progress RD. looking forward to the videos.

GB is right (as usual, and first to the party) - twice the volts equals half the amps so half the voltage drop across your switches and wiring.
if you have a high wattage 12v bulb you may still benefit from relays esp if you have gammy switches. personally I'd make it all 12v and see if the volts drop noticeable, and if so then add the relay (in the headlamp shell).
and don't forget a decent (larger gauge) earth wire from the battery to the headlamp - a lot can get lost on that side of things.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #1675 on: 03.06. 2021 19:47 »
Rode the Norton to the dentist. 60 mile round trip. Had forgotten just how much oomph that thing has. 75mph uphill and still accelerating hard. It does bring out the dormant hooligan in me.  >:D
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1676 on: 03.06. 2021 20:19 »
i know the hooligan bit very well, i did a run with the guy who sold me the bike over 40 years ago and was told we were pushing 80 overtaking up hill with cars coming towards us. bit scary------- but when he told me he had tyre pressure gauge sensors on this range rover disguised BMW 1200 i was stunned, then he told me cars have them aswell and i was even stunnder. i think i belong to the 19th century ,  or back in the pub *beer* *beer*

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #1677 on: 06.06. 2021 16:47 »
Well I finished today. I started a week ago with a chain swap on the A7 as the old one had a major tight spot, despite being within the bend tolerance. Whilst changing the chain I noticed that the rear type had quite large cracks in it which I was not expecting as it was only 3 years old and had loads of tread left. I already had a new front and so with a trip to Wales coming up, I thought best change both. When I removed the front wheel, I find the front brake shoes are very nearly to the rivets so new shoes put in of the floating type. Had some fun and games with the new chain rubbing on the front section of the chain guard which took a while to find and then sort. All back together today and a quick 20 mile test ride.

1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1678 on: 07.06. 2021 16:01 »
Been out and about on my Sportster a couple of times - running with very short rear shox since the makeover that's a very jarring ride on UK roads right now, even when I mange to miss the worst of the pot holes. Took Blue the T3 out for a Guzzi meet up on Thursday night meeting - lovely weather for it. Then I was out for a short bimble for Jug the Eldorado Loop frame last night.

A10 is sitting under wraps in the car port at the back of the car port at the moment. Needs decent run out to see if the dynamo will be self healing or not.

Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1679 on: 07.06. 2021 21:04 »
G'day Fellas.
Moved the Cafe off the bike lift and put the rHonda up. Lump out time to investigate low comp in #4. Gotta be rings as it pumps up with a bit of oil down the plug hole. At least with the A's we can get the top end off in the frame.
 Waiting for a sunny weekend (without g/kid duty) to test the Cafe. The old plunger is sitting patiently waiting for her turn for a rebuild.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7