Author Topic: The road rocket racing sidecar project  (Read 38430 times)

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Re: The road rocket racing sidecar project
« Reply #90 on: 20.11. 2012 02:05 »
Thanks for posting that, It has made me bog eyed reading it, but I understand what seems to be the crux of the matter. ie the angle of the shorter con rod altering the speed of the piston at different points in its travel. Good luck with it!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #91 on: 20.11. 2012 03:15 »
Thanks for posting that, It has made me bog eyed reading it, but I understand what seems to be the crux of the matter. ie the angle of the shorter con rod altering the speed of the piston at different points in its travel. Good luck with it!

a good synopsis, effectively the piston acceleration increases as does piston speed, not necessarily good things but within the realms of expected rpm ok. The A65 and Norton twins all run short rods, the norton on a longer stroke.
With quicker piston acceleration the motor should have an improved induction and exhaust cycle...in theory
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline JulianM

• A's Good Friend
  • www.historiccompetitionservices.be
    • Historic Competition Services
« Reply #92 on: 20.11. 2012 07:04 »
There are strong arguments for both short and long rods,
However, in general you use short rods in a fast circuit engine that runs at high speed for longer periods, and when engine service life is not such an issue.   Piston acceleration is increased and so is piston side load (greatly), in fact the piston side load is increased in proportion to any extra side thrust you may pick up from the rod angularity so be rather skeptical of that "plus point"   A longer rod "dwells" at tdc for longer allowing the flame to have more time to burn completely and have more effect exactly where it is needed, therefore also allowing more flexibility for spark timing inaccuracies etc, it generally gives a less fussy engine and also one that pulls off of the corners better.   Read any serious papers / books about NASCAR engine building and you will find more info on this subject than your head can handle!!

Good luck.
Julian.

52 Ducati Cucciolo Race bike 50cc
64 Triumph TR6 SS
67 Triumph 100C
67 ILO Race Bike  50cc
71 Sachs Race Bike  50cc
71 Laverda 750SF,
71 Laverda/Egli 750SF, Race bike,
71 Norton Commando 750 Roadster,
71 Norton Commando 750 SS
75 Laverda 3C,
75 Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk0,
76 Beta Cross TR6  50cc
80 Ducati 900 MHR,
81 Yamaha RD350LC

Offline andy

• A's Good Friend
  • and so the fun begins !!
« Reply #93 on: 21.11. 2012 16:08 »
when i first noticed this page/post/headline this image automaticaly came to mind lol.
only 2 things needed in life wd40 and duck tape....if it moves and shouldn`t use tape if it don`t move and should use wd40.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #94 on: 21.11. 2012 19:50 »
when i first noticed this page/post/headline this image automaticaly came to mind lol.

Brilliant, even looks like an A10 engine! *yeah*

A good mate tells me the cartoon relates to Ogri borrowing his Grandmothers A10 to win 5 Pounds!
Sheer class
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline andy

• A's Good Friend
  • and so the fun begins !!
« Reply #95 on: 22.11. 2012 08:53 »
yeh thats right his granny claims to have done "the ton" in/on it lol.
only 2 things needed in life wd40 and duck tape....if it moves and shouldn`t use tape if it don`t move and should use wd40.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #96 on: 07.12. 2012 00:57 »
Looking at Rocket Racers signature (the script at the bottom of each post.) I thought it was a shame they didn't issue the same advice for the M series! *contract*...........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qumlsvxTof4
Gladly all was well! *lol*....................... And good advice for us all at the end. Good ol' Sumpy!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #97 on: 07.12. 2012 05:39 »
A mate of mine lost his front one on a Trihard. Wasn't as pretty as that!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #98 on: 12.12. 2012 02:00 »
Latest plan is to fit line bored T140 rods with steel end caps. Price was right and the budget a bit tight.
Barrel shortening to progress over Christmas.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #99 on: 07.01. 2013 04:01 »
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #100 on: 07.01. 2013 07:52 »
 And the best looking too RR well done. The timing side of the G50 comes second.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #101 on: 19.08. 2013 02:23 »
time for a bit of minor pre season fettling, first race of the season 7th & 8th September,

will be fitting the T140 rods and a shortened barrel, steel caps/alloy rods.
Pistons fly cut to clear the flywheels

my SR aka "rusty" in pieces in background and my ZB33 under the blue cover
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #102 on: 19.08. 2013 07:04 »
G'day RR.
How much difference in balance weight?
Yep that looks like a classic racers shed.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #103 on: 23.08. 2013 07:17 »
apologies for the delay in responding, my wife's kitchen scales are giving me sufficient variation that I cannot effectively identify a weight difference between pistons or rods although it appear the rod saving in reciprocating weight is offset by the increase in rotational weight. Will try and source a decent scale but expect it'll be a suck it and see.
 Got the barrel (and pushrods) back on the way home from work, looks nice, but waiting for a fresh set of big end shells for the rod swap out.
Will be interesting to see if it goes back together with minor pain or shows up lots of butterfly effects  :!
The pistons actually look more modern fly cut, I'm quietly optimistic but we'll see.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #104 on: 25.08. 2013 08:02 »
barrel painted. still waiting for a fresh set of main bearing shells before I can swap out the rods, supposed to be racing it over weekend of sept 7th  at Taupo *eek*
so a bit of work to do, a wet weekend so spent quite a lot of it easing the gudgeon pins of the 9:1's which are going into it, which were a tight fit. a slow job.
New Zealand