Author Topic: Not charging  (Read 8108 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Not charging
« Reply #30 on: 21.07. 2013 16:36 »
UPDATE.
First thing this morning I refitted my dynamo and DVR2.

NO 'KIN CHARGE!  *sad2*

[many hours pass]

Long story short; my DVR2 will not work if it's case is earthed.

I fitted the DVR2, (as I had fitted the Wassell unit) inside an old Lucas reg box with its fixing stud bolted through the paxolin and metal base. I've had to physically isolate the unit inside the case to get it to work.

Whilst testing I refitted my cheapo Wassell unit and, wouldn't you know it, it works.

So, is my DVR2 faulty?

Anyway, I now have a bike that charges its battery!!!!  *smiley4*

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #31 on: 21.07. 2013 17:25 »

Anyway, I now have a bike that charges its battery!!!!  *smiley4*

And a spare DVR2 incase the Wassel packs up *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 21.07. 2013 19:46 »
No; I have a spare Wassell in case the DVR2 packs up. ;/
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 21.07. 2013 22:38 »
I would ask Mike about the DVR2.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 22.07. 2013 00:05 »
My positive earth dvr2 is earthed and works, so something is odd with your one i guess? Is the wire on the dvr2 that sets whether it is 6 or 12v set up correctly for your bike?
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #35 on: 22.07. 2013 10:27 »
I agree, I would contact Mike at Dynamo Regulators Ltd, or pm Manormike here.

Good news is you got it working.  *smile*
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 22.07. 2013 23:19 »
I've sent a mail.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 05.08. 2013 11:58 »
Quote from: trevinoz link=topic=7273.msg51578#msg515i78 date=1374442686
I would ask Mike about the DVR2.

Right then,

I contacted ManorMike, (Mike Hutchings) at Dynamo Regulators;  he agreed to have a look at my DVR2. I sent the unit off and refitted my el cheapo Wassell gizmo which since my dynamo was fettled by Dave Lindsley actually does work, (see more about this later).

Mike confirmed that something had gone wrong with the DVR2 and it was earthing the dynamo output. I would not have been surprised to be told that I had done something to damage the unit  *work*, although I am not really that dumb with electrickery, (I was a telephone maintenance engineer for many years).

Mike sent me a new DVR2 last week and this morning I've had the opportunity to go to the garage and fiddle, (with the bike!).

A while ago you may remember we discussed using an LED to illuminate the ammeter and display charge state, (http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=6284.0).
I fitted one of these things back then: http://goo.gl/s2BCN3. I got a 6v positive earth version and fitted it, (with blue-tack) to the clear plastic outside of my ammeter casing inside the headlamp cowl. As my bike has no way of turning the device on and off and it is only needed in poor light when you cannot see the ammeter I wired it between the speedo bulb feed and earth.

After changing over the regulator units today I started the engine and wow; what a difference! With the Wassell unit in circuit with headlight on, engine revs raised, the ammeter was showing a move to the centre position so the regulator was attempting to balance the dynamo output vs battery load. The best I got from the LED device was a neutral amber light.

Now I have the DVR2 fitted, as the revs are increased the ammeter moves over from discharge to showing a healthy charging current; the LED device meanwhile changes colour from red to amber and then shows a good clear green! Obviously when the battery has been fully charged I'm expecting to see a neutral display from both devices.

I can recommend the LED charge indicator; it works  *bright idea*. However, I highly recommend the DVR2 and the super service provided by DynamoRegulators. Thank you very much Mike!  *respect*

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Dynamo Regulators Mike

• A's Good Friend
  • Fareham, UK, 1960 A10
    • Dynamo Regulators Ltd
« Reply #38 on: 06.08. 2013 10:24 »
Glad you are pleased with the performance of the replacement unit Neil.
Yours showed a problem not seen before in several thousand units sold. I will do my best to ensure it does not happen again.
An extra up to 4 Amps available over the Wassel cheap but miserable 'regulator' is an emphatic improvement indeed (as shown in KenF graph under regulator thread. Sadly people will still buy on price alone.
Mike Hutchings
A10, T800
Director, DRL www.dynamoregulators.com

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 23.08. 2013 19:38 »
Great that Greybeard is charging again!
I have followed this thread with great interest, but sadly little understanding! Does anyone have a picture of a regulator in situ so I can identify mine? Also is there perhaps a picture of the F and D connections wired together and earthed to the frame? I think this needs to be done to "flash" the unit, but I'm not sure how that helps or what it does.

When I switch on my parking light the ammeter shows a draw of about 2 amps. Headlamp draws 6 but on a 45 minute ride with headlamp on, the needle stubbornly stays drawing 6 amps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #40 on: 24.08. 2013 11:21 »
Hi Paul,
you will find your regulator inside the toolbox top left.
If it has a black case held on with a spring wire, it's probably still a mechanical unit, unless someone installed an electronic one underneath. Take off the cover, and if you see a couple of coils, it's a mechanical type.

You don't mention whether the current it's drawing with lights on is at tickover or running at speed.
You will not have a charge under approximately 1500 rpm, so its perfectly normal to see a discharge when for example standing at the red light and the lights are on.

F and D are connected together only to measure the dynamo's output.

Flashing" a dynamo is done to change it's polarity i.e. when changing from positive to negative earth or when in doubt of the dynamo's correct polarity.
This is done by connecting a wire to the + or - battery pole depending on whether you want it to be negative or positive earth, and with the other end touching (flashing) the F pole on your dynamo.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 25.08. 2013 11:42 »

Good you got it sorted GrayB, sometmes problems ulimately have the simplest solutions, but I think you've done enough of this ;-
had the opportunity to go to the garage and fiddle, (with the bike!).
What you need to do is take it out and have a good hard play....don't overdo it, and be close to home base (~couple of hours),before dark, just in case
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 25.08. 2013 14:41 »

Good you got it sorted GrayB, sometmes problems ulimately have the simplest solutions, but I think you've done enough of this ;-
had the opportunity to go to the garage and fiddle, (with the bike!).
What you need to do is take it out and have a good hard play....don't overdo it, and be close to home base (~couple of hours),before dark, just in case
Indeed!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #43 on: 26.08. 2013 08:48 »
Thanks Morris. I'll have a look inside the toolbox. The current draw with headlight on was a constant -6amps even at 60 mph.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Triumph Thruxton R 2016

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #44 on: 27.08. 2013 18:03 »
Not sure if this should form a new post, perhaps called charging for beginners?

I've looked inside my toolbox for the regulator and found this. Not what I was expecting. On the side it says www.nanocontrols.co.uk and it has terminals labeled F D A and E also a bright green wire in a loop with the instruction "cut loop for 12V". Checked on line and it looks like a V-Reg II. Is this suitable for a Super Rocket?
I have the blue wire attached to the F terminal which is correct for +Earth.

I've taken the cover off the dynamo and started the bike so I know it's spinning. Before bridging the F and D terminals to test for output, do I have to disconnect the green and yellow wires and if so, how? They seem to disappear into the body of the dynamo. See attached photo.

If there's no output on the volt meter (that I haven't yet bought!) then bushes are next. How do I remove them? Do I just use tiny pillars to move the retaining spring out of the way, or does it come off completely? BTW, the wires connected to the bushes and terminals seem very thin. Is this normal? Can you tell from the phot if my bushes are particularly worn? Also, there are a blue and a black wire that seem to link the bush wires to the armature casing. What are these for?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul

A10 Super Rocket 1959
Triumph Thruxton R 2016