Author Topic: What have you done with your bike/s today?  (Read 129143 times)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: What have you done with your bike/s today?
« Reply #1020 on: 04.04. 2020 10:24 »
What!!  Looks like I need to buy a larger dining room table *eek* :!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #1021 on: 04.04. 2020 11:00 »
is that an 1860's valve first edition telly in the background  *grins* and as columbo said ," just one more thing" does anybody do as I do and open up the oil inlet and outlet pipe adaptors on the crankcase to 1/4 inch. a bit more volume near the pump helps according to a uni educated manager at my old works when they increased the diameter of the inlet pipe on one of the pumps.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1022 on: 04.04. 2020 11:07 »
is that an 1860's valve first edition telly in the background  *grins*

Also doubles up as a form of very early microwave. *dunno*  Just thinking about it, that picture could be my entire kitchen. ;)
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

beezermacc

« Reply #1023 on: 04.04. 2020 13:18 »
is that an 1860's valve first edition telly in the background  *grins*

Also doubles up as a form of very early microwave. *dunno*  Just thinking about it, that picture could be my entire kitchen. ;)
No, it's the oven I use for baking magneto coils.... and for warming up our local delicacies....Brassington's pies!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #1024 on: 05.04. 2020 19:20 »
G'day Fellas.
I had to get out of the house so went for a ride. I couldn't decide which bike to take so I rode all four. Only about 50 miles each. With three different gear change/brake combinations makes the rides interesting. Buggered up a few times! Right foot one down three up, right foot one up three down, left foot one down four up. *pull hair out*.
The Cafe hadn't turned a wheel for well over 6 months so she got a service first. The plunger had the whole oil tank in the crankcase (as usual) so she got new fluids as well. Both needed a battery charge. Both fired up 2nd kick and ran perfect. Reminded me why I luv my A's.
The other two being young 32 and 37 year olds were right to go.
The only down side was all my usual pub stops were shut. Bloody Corona.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1025 on: 05.04. 2020 20:28 »
Jammy Musky, just itchin' to get out. *sad2*  I have, however, had some mildish symptoms of the C-19, headache, throat, blocked nose, tight chest, etc, but feel better now. :!

Better enough to get into the garage and tackle the ATD refurb so I've got a spare if I shred the gear again.  Wasn't looking forward to separating the collar as I didn't have a puller.  So, I cleverly sussed out that if I couldn't pull the collar off, maybe I could push the tube out.  Put ATD in vice so the outer edge of the gear rested on the vice jaws, heated collar up until I could see bubbles of oil? coming out from between the collar and tube, took an old 7/16 socket and gave the tube a couple of firm knocks and out it popped - much easier than pulling the collar off, methinks.  Anyway after retrieving all the bits from the floor (with pliers, I might add - hot!),  *eek*I took to having a look.  It seems like quite a bit of slack in the things the springs attach to on the bobweights.  Seems the holes have worn a bit oval.  Also, the end of one of the rivets is missing?  I've got a fibre gear, can anyone direct me to where I can get springs, rivets and the things the springs attach to (can't remember their name *doh*). *dunno* *roll*

Cheers All
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1026 on: 05.04. 2020 22:29 »
the berg has been playing again, proper engineers skip this post *whistle* I decided to get the new oil filter to fit where the old one I borrowed from work years ago was fitted. resting on a rubber pad on top of maggy and bracketed to rocker box rear sleeved nut. the outlet to tank and rockers running under the carb manifold. well to do that with the new one was a bit awkward because outlet was! pointing the wrong way. the berg discovered 1/2 inch unf was as near as damn 1/4 bsp, so he went into action drilled and tapped the lid, ran a die down the wade brass fitting and tried it *good3* then I got the propane on warp 11 and managed to tin the steel tubes with soft solder, so I soldered a turned down brass fitting into the inlet tube and blocked off the outlet with a brass plug. I then offered it all up on the bike with the piping and decided it was too heavy, this was called mk1. then I found some hard plastic piping I scrounged when they changed all the lines in a pub *beer* so tomorrow is a search for plastic to metal goo and see if I can make this thing work *doubt*, before you say tap it bsp. brother has all the gear and we are on lock in, but a bit different to a pub lock in

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1027 on: 05.04. 2020 22:40 »
the old faithful filter I borrowed, never did find out who the company was that made this, it says perfection parts limited on the lid

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #1028 on: 06.04. 2020 08:50 »
Wortluck asked “can anyone direct me to where I can get springs, rivets and the things the springs attach to[?]”

Priory Magnetos has got to be worth a call, email or PM. If Andrew hasn’t got the bits it’s likely he’ll know where to get them.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1029 on: 06.04. 2020 11:26 »
Swapped out some damaged spokes in the rear wheel of my tandem at the weekend was all. Suspect that doesn't count here though.

Ought to be draining the fuel off from the A10 really I suppose. It often sits for months before firing up lustily, but it could all be a bit longer this time I'm guessing.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1030 on: 06.04. 2020 20:13 »
Cheers for putting me on to Priory.  The 'lever' things I mentioned are the spring toggles - does anyone still produce them as the holes on mine have worn oval.  It seems that most parts are available except the toggles??
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1031 on: 07.04. 2020 10:12 »
Swapped out some damaged spokes in the rear wheel of my tandem at the weekend was all. Suspect that doesn't count here though.

Ought to be draining the fuel off from the A10 really I suppose. It often sits for months before firing up lustily, but it could all be a bit longer this time I'm guessing.
I was thinking the same thing.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #1032 on: 08.04. 2020 21:42 »
Engine and hubs had gone powdery on the ReBsa so blasted them with soda then washed off with water afterwards. Hope any residue isn't corrosive.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1033 on: 19.04. 2020 16:45 »
Pic of roller starter, just completed this afternoon.  First attempt a few months back only drove one roller. Not enough grip on tyre, so connected the rollers with a chain. Tried vee twin project on it (plugs out for initial spin and check oil circulation). Plugs in and try to start – ripped the starter motor off the rig. So, hello mk2, where I made a base plate for starter to mount on instead of brackets. Tried again, but the starter was really labouring. I figured I needed a starter to roller redn of around 12:1, similar to cars but, whilst roughly calculating that, I’d completely forgotten a motorcycle engine turns c. 6x faster than the rear wheel (depending on sprockets fitted and gear chosen for starting). And so onto mk3, where you can see I’ve added a layshaft to further raise the reduction. Roller speed looks better now.
Have to wait now until I hear from my pal who has the vee twin’s exhaust for welding before I can try the rollers again as currently the bike’s on the lift patiently waiting for said exhaust. Would have welded it myself, but my tig welding on thin s/s tube leaves too much metal inside. If it was mild steel I’d gas weld it or, if twice as thick, I’d arc it, but I just don’t get on with tig and mig whereas my pal used to own a stainless fabrication business. This damned virus has stopped the world revolving. Sooner we all get back to work the better.
 *pull hair out*
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #1034 on: 19.04. 2020 18:32 »
Hi RD
That starter looks to be an old Lucas one?
A more modern gear reduction starter from a Diesel engine vehicle would deliver more "grunt"
I have seen some starting rollers fitted with two motors as well

I have also seen some using a 9in. angle grinder as the power unit  *eek*
This is a chap I have had correspondence about Chater Lea's with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4tlnBrWFAk

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)