Author Topic: rocket goldstar  (Read 7277 times)

Offline townsends20

• Moving Up
rocket goldstar
« on: 06.06. 2011 18:11 »
Hi all
 does anyone out there know how many genuine rocket goldstars still around. ????
1962 rgs

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: rocket goldstar
« Reply #1 on: 06.06. 2011 23:06 »
Probably three times as many as were built!!  *smile*

Trev.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 07.06. 2011 00:15 »
Hi All,
Thats certainly a 64000$ question  *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex* *ex*
The fakers have certainly been active even to the point of resurrecting long lost or
maybe even cloning existing examples *eek* *eek*
The history and any old paperwork are essential before parting with hard earned cash
I would be personally BEWARE of any recently (re) registered  bikes

Last year at a UK event I saw an ""RGS"" with a price tag of 11.5K£, I walked towards it but at 10 yards or more  I could see it was a fake, not even a good one!!

So Research, Research, Research, History History History,   before you buy  *conf* *conf* *conf* *conf*

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 07.06. 2011 08:49 »
Just to get a point over here, if I and many others like the style of the RGS and decide to spend a fortune and lots of research and effort on copying it as closely as we can or in some cases as close as they can afford, then that is to be applauded.
The RGS style is to many BSA enthusiasts and those of other marques the pinacle of BSA roadster style.
At last week's Paignton Bike night my group of friends had two very thoroughly modified A10s to RGS spec and a Goldie amongst us and compared to the attention they received from other bikers and the general public they were probably the most enjoyed, except for the occasional way out customed Harley. No one cared whether they had the correct history etc. etc. they glistened in the sunlight and were beautiful amongst a 'sea of plastic' modern superbikes.
Where it all gets twisted is when someone puts one up for sale for big money without clarifying what it actually is. Mine for example, is difficult to distinquish from a '62/'63 model but a quick look at the V5 will tell anyone that it's a '50s A10 and won't be sold for top money even though it cost top money to build, if I ever sell it that is.
I'm not enthusiastic about an owner calling a A10 with the wrong hubs and cable rear brake, but with a Goldie tank and exhaust, an RGS, but they do look nice. 'RGS styled A10' would be better.
John is right about checking what you're buying is value for money and I'm sure that he didn't want to imply that anyone with an 'RGS' is a faker.
Alan 
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.06. 2011 09:10 »
Quite agree Alan
What upsets me and lots of others is the sellers making ordinary A parts more expensive by the calculated addition of RGS in descriptions.
Buyer beware of coarse but to new members of our fraternity it can't help.

I do think there is something about a Brit twin and also something about a Brit single; so much as I love my two A's I think If I was looking at spending 11.5 K I might just go for a one lunger with a similar name ( though might have to add a bit more out of my rapidly disappearing savings)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.06. 2011 19:07 »
Hi Alan, Bill and All,
Well then I must be a "faker" (LOL *eek*) as my Super Rocket has been built to the style and performance of the sporty model, Like you Alan mine cost a fortune to build (even 10 years ago when it was finally finished)
I built it to represent what ""My ideal"" A10 would look like,
If I had access to a some "RGS" type parts I would have liked to have fitted them , swing arm and rear wheel etc would be very nice *ex*
So I built it with the ton weight iron wheel and standard  swing arm

Anyway a while ago I was offered a "REAL RGS" in need of total restoration  *smile* *smile*
I didnt need to be asked twice before I bought it,
It had been stored away long before the fakery began, and had a reasonable amount of history with it so I am happy with its pedigree
I must get some work done on it soon before I get too old to enjoy it  *ex* *ex* *ex*

cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline NickSR

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 07.06. 2011 22:36 »
Hi Everyone
Just to add my view with a RGS with matching numbers in mint condition being advertised by Cake Street Classic at £17,500 I will repeat that £17,500 in Junes Old Bike Mart.

I have seen the RGS and Spitfires that he has sold in the past and they are very good and well finished.

Hopfully any one thinking of buy a RGS at the above price would do some research work before hand and from a well known dealer.

Being a offered an orginal RGS at £6,000 then proceed with a view its a copy in which there appears to be some very nice copies for sale at the moment.

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline Taffy

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 07.06. 2011 23:31 »
Hi a question here,if a RGS is now worth 17.5k and a super rocket is 6k is the 11.5k difference really worth it for a few frame lugs and different type hubs?   

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 08.06. 2011 08:51 »
No Taffy, £17500 is over the top for most of us financially for the extra style and performance, but there are a surprising number of people to whom that kind of price is not as shocking, not to mention the possible increase in value over time. My DBD34 Gold Star has increased in value by around 50% since I sold it and we all wonder when this escalation in pricing will stall.
Originality comes with an extra price no matter what bike it is, that's what people do pay extra for, not necessarily getting a better bike to ride or look at.
A really well cared for Super Rocket is well worth up to £6000 in my opinion and a comprehensively modified one to RGS spec would be worth more, at least for the cost of the parts and work involved to do so. I reckon at today's prices anything up to £9000 would be fair for a comprehensively modified one to RGS spec.
As for a genuine RGS, I think that depends on the depth of your pocket and the level of your desire to get hold of one. I hesitate to put a figure on that. Maybe Roger Sharman has pitched the price right since he is the recognised RGS restorer and seller and has a better feel for this than most. Seems high though.
Alan

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 08.06. 2011 10:03 »
Good morning everyone, I've been off line for a few days due to a virus in the works computer so just catching up. I agree the styling of a RGS "styled"A10 takes some beating ,I've always fitted chrome guards and lowish bars siamesed pipes and rev counter  just 'cause to me me thats what I like ,so if an individual's wants to go further and His/her's pocket is deep enough go for it. If you think this is only continuing the original concept that Eddie Dow had startedwith, the RGS which was in effect to use up surplus Goldie frames and  ,then specially made ones when they proved popular ,particularly to our colonial cousins in the states,engines plus odd and sod's left from the production run of the A10's when BSA withdrew the A10 . In effect a bitsa but boy ho boy  what a bitsa ,I've loved the style for over 45 yrs and always will, regards Bob hebdon.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 08.06. 2011 10:19 »
We all I guess know some of the differences between RGS frame and Rocket or Flash frames,  a few of you probably know ALL the differences.
But can somebody tell me if there is any difference in the main dimensions of the RGS frame, and any that would for instance improve handling ( although I've always thought A7 frames were pretty good in this respect anyway).
I have been told ( George Prew ) that taper bearing kit for A10 head stock are different to Goldie ones and leave a gap somewhere (sorry memory again) bubt I do know the ones I've fitted to the RGF do leave a bit of the bottom bearing visible ( I wonder about this)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline townsends20

• Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 11.06. 2011 14:17 »
Hi all again.
               This is a great subject and I didn't realise there is so much passion around the rgs until acquired one in a basket!  Back in the 60s they were just another bike to be thrashed and abused when  the only waterproofing you got was out of the engine and the only use for a torque wrench would to take it for a ride to the south coast on a bank holiday! There now I am showing my age,  still I am sure I'm not the only old fart reading this post.
   How things have changed, married with five kids & four grand kids and now starting again with the passion I have always loved and thought I had lost until now (tears).
       Working as a bike mechanic in the early days and most of the rest in the motor trade, all the restorations being done by myself, enjoying every moment except when it comes to paying for parts!  and yes after 35 + years out of it I did buy some cheap rubbish, but we all learn the hard way. Anyway the bike is looking  good (see the latest photos on progress) it is a 62, one of the first 20 out of the stable and looks like it was built by Eddie Dow himself! with all original Dow parts.
               I fully intend to enjoy this bike while still can, maybe at a later date when my body tells me to give it up it might pay off the mortgage.  I would still like to find out roughly out of the 1500 or so built about how many are left, any guesses?
   Just one more point.
    One I have learned on taking on a project as expensive and time consuming as this
is you have to have a patient and understanding wife.( and she is.)

Steve.
1962 rgs

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 11.06. 2011 18:05 »
I don,t understand this obsession with everything being original, if it,s not then so what. As I have said before in the 60, s bikes where never original because the first thing that we did was to make them look different.  Enjoy restoring and riding and if they are not original who cares.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 11.06. 2011 18:45 »
Hi Steve, I would have loved to have found a '62 RGS, it would have saved me a heck of lot of work and crawling over/under one of Roger Sharman's.
Enjoy ridng it and looking at it in the garage.
I can assure you that you will have a constant stream of one particular question to answer "Is it a genuine RGS?" I'm sure you will smile when you tell them "Oh yes".

Alan

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 11.06. 2011 19:20 »
As I have said before in the 60, s bikes where never original because the first thing that we did was to make them look different.

We made them different by all doing much the same thing - hence the plastic leopard skin seat covers.
If I had the know how I'd get a batch made and flog them on Ebay.

Nice bike BTW Steve
All the best - Bill