Author Topic: rocket goldstar  (Read 7316 times)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Re: rocket goldstar
« Reply #15 on: 12.06. 2011 08:19 »
We made them different by all doing much the same thing - hence the plastic leopard skin seat covers.
If I had the know how I'd get a batch made and flog them on Ebay.

Ah, the leopard skin seat cover......mine was a fluffy hairy thing which lasted a few days until it rained and became a wet sponge. It made me smile to recall that.
I was checking the pressures of my 'RGS' tyres yesterday, ready for the annual 'Round Dartmoor Run' with the classic boys and to my horror spotted that the silencer was cracking across the top and the mounting bracket was close to letting go! There's always something with these old bikes but it's absolutely lashing with rain so it will probably be cancelled anyway. We have been praying for rain for a long time since the grass has tints of brown beginning to show but why did it have to rain right now, the boys will be really disappointed.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 13.06. 2011 17:25 »
So if he has spent 28,000 dollars on it he will be wanting more than that for it. Hope you have your credit card ready Muskrat.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 13.06. 2011 19:57 »
Can't see anything wrong with it in the photos, some modern replacement parts which is to be expected. In the UK I expect it would go for somewhere from £10,000 to £15,000. Shipping and customs duty into the UK would be eye watering. I had a shock when I got a front hub from Canada.
Alan

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 13.06. 2011 22:28 »
I would like to know how you could spend $28000 on a restoration.
Must have built it out of new parts bought one at a time.
It sure makes my worn out RGS look like an asset to hold!

Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #20 on: 14.06. 2011 01:14 »
Its sometimes hard to come to grips with some of the bikes we see for sale and the prices being asked, but bikes are like any commodity, supply and demand.

The asking price for this particular one is $37,000 AUS, thats a lot of money. Also claims it cost $28,000 to restore, once again a lot of money but maybe not unrealistic. Firstly the son of the restorer is a member of this forum so maybe he could give us an insight into the costs involved in this type of restoration.

The bike could certainly have been presented better, it could have been cleaned, the tyres pumped up and a bit of work putting into routing the cables correctly.

Going back to the $28,000. We all try to do as much to our bikes as we can ourselves, however there is no doubt the finished result with any restoration is directly related to the money spent on it. So imagine if you bought this bike unrestored in generally poor condition and took it to a proffessional restorer and said restore it to "factory" spec. Where I live the average mechanical repair place charges $100 per hour for labour, there are a lot of hours involved in a resto like this one. If you dropped the tank off to a proffessional and said restore it, take the dents out, rechrome, paint and fit badges and kneepads, there goes $2000. Wheels, fit new akront rims, spokes, do the brakes etc etc, probably $1500 per wheel easily. So you see the costs can climb steeply if you are totally relying on having someone else do the work. I can see $28,000 going into this resto if you are paying someone else.

Is the bike worth $37,000 ? well we are about to find out, if it sells it is, if it doesnt sell then it isnt.

You also have to consider the funds available to some people, most of us are "normal" members of the work force with average incomes. But if you are some big company executive earning a million dollars or more a year then $37,000 is peanuts. So if you see something sold for what appears to be a ridiculous price then maybe it was bought by someone in this category who just wanted it and money didnt matter in which case that sale is not a true reflection of value.

So when you see something like this come on the market at what appears to be a ridiculous price have a think about it, maybe, just maybe its not so ridiculous. Then again maybe its some fool who thinks his bike is worth more than it really is  *dunno*

Online orabanda

• Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 14.06. 2011 05:58 »
What-ever floats your boat; this is my RGS replica.

It started out as a 1960 SR

18 months later:

It is not an RGS; it's better than that. I always describe it as a replica.

It goes like poo off a shovel, stops better than any of my other bikes, and is ridden frequently.

I could never find an RGS, so went this way. If I had been able to find one, I would have spent just as much on it, to bring it to the same standard as the replica, so the replica is much better value to me.

Originally I had clip-ons fitted, but didn't like them - not practical (comfortable) for a bike that is regularly ridden long distances.

Richard

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 14.06. 2011 08:13 »
Now that is a seriously nice motorcycle. The only problem I can see is that its in your shed and not mine, if you were trying to turn me green with envy, it worked  *ex* *ex* *ex*

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 14.06. 2011 08:16 »
Nice work Richard! Just like my project, it's well worth the effort to get the details right. There is tremendous satisfaction from getting an end result like that.
One question...I had to change the front lower engine lug to RGS type, was it already like that on the '60 SR?
Alan

Online orabanda

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 14.06. 2011 08:28 »
No, but they are now!
I "found" a pair of an old frame, and welded them on.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 14.06. 2011 08:39 »
Alright then, educate the less knowledgable mortals amongst us, ie. me. Why do you have to change the engine mounts, I know a "genuine" RGS has a four lug frame by why do you need to change the standard tube bottom mounts.

Online orabanda

• Resident Legend
« Reply #26 on: 14.06. 2011 08:49 »
Why did Armstrong want to walk on the moon?
Because I wanted to have a crack at getting it "like the real thing".

However, the discerning RGS guru will be able to pick non- conforming issues with my bike, but I don't give a hoot.

I don't mislead anyone about it; it is a Super Super Rocket!

It also has Suzuki clutch, my own oil filter, modified wiring, SRM dynamo belt drive, oil seals where BSA didn't think they were necessary, Ikon shocks, modified front forks, Lightning 8" brake (little ripper!) and all the other customising tricks we all do to our A10's.
Richard

Online orabanda

• Resident Legend
« Reply #27 on: 14.06. 2011 08:58 »
Here is another "Super" Super Rocket.

Fired it up on the week-end; will register it on Thursday, and sort out the bugs (oil leaks, etc).

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 14.06. 2011 15:27 »
Alright then, educate the less knowledgable mortals amongst us, ie. me. Why do you have to change the engine mounts, I know a "genuine" RGS has a four lug frame by why do you need to change the standard tube bottom mounts.
You don't have to Brian but, if you have the parts and facilities to do it and you are interested in making as close a copy as you can, then it's just icing on the cake. It's actually one of the first places 'experts' look when they see a bike that could be an RGS. The normal front engine lugs are perfectly fine and I expect that BSA were looking for subtle differences they could build into their RGS to make it difficult to easily copy and had a few thousand of these lugs on the shelf rattling around. 

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 14.06. 2011 22:08 »
But, Alan,
                  The four lugs are not exclusively fitted to the RGS.

Trev.